F355 Back-up camera for my F 355 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Back-up camera for my F 355

Love my new F 355 but there is a wicked blind spot while driving and especially while backing up. So I looked up a lot of cameras, and this is what I just ordered today:

Backup Camera 5" Monitor License Plate

Thought I would share it on the forum. If you have ever driven a car with a back-up camera, they are QUITE addicting.
It's wireless, color, has night-vision and comes with a 5" LCD. The cigarette adapter was another $19. I am going to want it to operate while driving also, will help with the blind spot, partially. (120 degree view).So I will most likely hook it up to my license-plate bulb to power the camera whenever I drive....but then again I just realized that the license plate light might not be on unless my lights are on.... I could wire it to the reverse lights but then it will only work in reverse. I wonder what I should wire it to to have it on whether my lights are on or not?

I plan to put the LCD somewhere on the front of center console, below the stereo. It's all leather there so I might have to find a clever way to keep it stationary without drilling holes or strapping it down. Perhaps I can mount it under the stereo with something that would keep the look clean.

Last edited by Ready321now; 01-31-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Bert and Ernie could have used a back up Camera in their 355:
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
Ready321now, what was the end result after installing your back up camera. I am considering doing the same thing to my spider. Thanks!

post #4 of 7 Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
Considering all, it was somewhat of a pain in the ass. I hooked the power of the wireless camera to the yellow running lamp wire (power), and grounded it to the black wire. When I would turn on the cameras via turning the running lamps on, the car would skip a beat. It would do the same as soon as I turned off the lamps too. When I turned the headlights on or off, everything was fine. It was just the running lamps.

If I turned the running lamps on while driving, I could feel a distinct skip in the motor, which would slow the car down for a split second. Same thing turning them off.

When I closed the bonnet, SAME THING.

So, I tried grounding it to the body. (the ground-post near the terminals in the engine bay.)
Same thing happened! Skipping!

I unplugged the right rear running lamp, and the problem went away.
I plugged it back in, and it came back EXCEPT THAT THE CAR TURNED OFF TWICE IN A ROW WHEN I TURNED ON THE RUNNING LAMPS. IT COMPLETELY SHUT OFF. I restarted it. It was unreal!

I tried moving the wiring for the wireless monitor instead, and the power wire was moved from the AC fuse in the passenger fusebox to the power wire on the Alpine stereo, and the ground from that obvious screw on the fusebox, over to the ground wire of the Alpine.

Same problem remained. It seems to be isolated to the camera, which is wireless, as is the monitor. The monitor is hooked up to a toggle switch installed in the empty spot on of the mirror-adjustor unit. This toggle switch is grounded to the black wire in the ashtray.

I suppose I should verify that this black wire is grounding the toggle switch. Perhaps this is where my problem is.

Otherwise, I really like having the monitor.

Right now every wire is disconnected, and I cant work on this issue while it is running since I refuse to start it while awaiting new manifolds from Nouvalai.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 379
When i hooked up my first backup cam back in 07 i simply used my garmin gos which was purchased witha video link for a backup cam. Wired the cam into the reversing lights and when i put the f1 in reverse the gos would shutoff and the cam came on. It was that simple. Hardest part was finding a hole in the firewall to get the wire through.

I since then replaced it this year with the ferrari infotainment system and am extremely happy. Except it cost 1500 instead of 700 but it does uave the ferrari logo and wall paper when it turns on , along with some other cool features.
Attached Images

post #6 of 7 Old 12-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Owner

Other pics
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 Old 12-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Owner

Hey just found this from 1 of the sponsers on f life. So eone should not be so cheap and buy it justto see how it works and looks.

In-Dash Single-DIN 7" Motorized Detachable Face Touchscreen Monitor Bluetooth DVD Player | BV8974B | Boss Audio Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode