308 electrical problem - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
308 electrical problem

Just bought a 1979 308 GTS last week and encountered an electrical problem that seemed to fix itself after a few days but am worried if it comes back.

At first the driving lights went out, then the wipers, electric windows, brake lights and indicators went out, and then worked again after a long drive.

The lights just turned out to be a faulty relay. I was just wondering if the other things have a common connector which may be loose? or if i should just forget about it. I just want some advice before i pull the dash apart.

Also the alternator/water pump light randomly turns on, the batteryworks fine and i have checked the belt tension and it seems fine also. The timing belts were recently changed so that could just be a connector fault im guessing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 04:18 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
Re: 308 electrical problem

Personally, replace the ENTIRE fuse box. This is actually relatively inexpensive ($60) so fear not. Basically the stock unit is lackluster (at best) and a nightmare (at worst). Please accept my apologies for pointing to another chat board, yet it is WELL documented at:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...t=308+fuse+box

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/me...20/202907.html

Please believe me, DO NOT buy a new Ferrari fuse box, make your own as seen in the links above. The time and effort are WELL worth it!
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Welcome Mr308 from a fellow Aussie. Hope to see the 308 around the town sometime soon!

post #4 of 9 Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
You may also want to just go through your existing fuse panels and check connections and clean up the fuse holders. Bend them in slightly (and gently) to ensure they hold the fuse tightly. Clean up all the connectors with a bit of emery cloth or scotchbrite. wipe with a cloth moistened with alcohol. Clean and check all grounds too. Especially clean up the battery posts and cable connectors...add distilled water to the battery. Clean and check all the connections at the alternator too. You have a 25 yo car, and a lot of this stuff may not have been tended to in a long time...or ever.

If the fuse panels look really bad, then replace them, or do the "upgrade" as suggested.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
I found this website for replacement 308 fuse blocks and thought I should pass it along...My only question is since I have a 1985 EURO version 308 is: Are there any differences in the US vs Euro 308 fuse block??

I have been having trouble with my turn signals working and am considering replacing the original fuse blocks...

http://home.comcast.net/~jonathan.bi...ox_upgrade.htm
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

I also found this chat site if you want to 'build your own' it has pics and part numbers necessary...I am just a bit leary to tackle this one yet...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/me...12/307297.html
post #7 of 9 Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfly2dive
...My only question is since I have a 1985 EURO version 308 is: Are there any differences in the US vs Euro 308 fuse block??
As i recall, they are the same. Have an 1985 Euro 308GTS QV here and i feel ANYONE with a stock fuse block should IMMEDIATELY change it. The stock units appear to suffer greatly and last thing i would desire is a faulty car at driving speeds all due to a fuse block!
post #8 of 9 Old 05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Elite Member

Although this is somewhat of an old post I thought I might add that in talking to Tim Stanford while we were in Sebring this spring he suggested that I flick my emergency flasher switch several times on and off to se if that would fix my turn signal problem....after a long quisical look by me he told me the power to the turn signal runs through the emergency flasher unit and since this does not usually get used much the contacts need to be 'cleaned' by switching it on and off....annnnddddd darn it if it didn't fix my problem completely.....
Thanks Tim!!

This info. just might help someone else with the same silly problem so I thought I'd post this here...
R
post #9 of 9 Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 AM

Yes, it is because of the way Ferrari ran the electricals. If you have not done so, i suggest using CAIG's product called MCL (moving contact lube). It is a spray that cleans moving contacts and also 'enhances' the electrical connection properties (reduces insertion loss, etc). Use it on ALL my electrical switches. There is no need to soak the parts, a small spray is all that is needed, then move the switch a few times to work in the product.

www.caig.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode