308 oil question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
308 oil question

What do you recommend putting in a 308 GTSi QV? A friend had put in 10w30 and is having problem. I recommend he use 20w50, synthetic oil wouldn't you agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
I would first consider what environment / climate the car is operating in at the moment. 10W30 may be fine for Canada in winter, but not the Bahamas in summer!

In general. I would have thought that the 308 pre-dates the technology of 10W30-grade oils. I would agree that 20W40-50 (or maybe 15W-40) is better suited to the parameters the engine designers worked to. I'd check the manual & a Ferrari service department too.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
The car is here in San Francisco and I recommended 20w50 but they wanted me to check with the experts here on Ferrari Forum.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-02-2004, 05:38 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Yes, definately 20W/50. Any 20W/50 motor oil will do. I use the CarQuest brand because it is cheaper. I used to buy the more expensive oils, but the CarQuest stuff is made by Valvoline. I would not recommend the synthetic oils. The petroleum based oil swells and lubricates the engine seals. The synthetic oil can allow the seals to shrink and leaks may develop.

I also add a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer at every oil change. http://www.lucasoil.com/

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 8 Old 07-02-2004, 09:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Here are the brands I recommend for your oil,
1. Mobil 1 Synthetic
2. Mobil 1 Synthetic
3. Mobil 1 Synthetic

And the weight, 15w-50
http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp
Especially for that Lotus S4 you have!

For any high revving engine that deals with a lot of heat it's the only brand I'd use. Reduces friction and wear to incredible amounts. My car has only had Mobil 1 in it and when I did my valve adjustment at 120,000 miles only one valve needed to be adjusted (out of 16). That's pretty amazing if you ask me. No scorching or discoloration (browning) of the oil on the head either. I as well as the previous owner change(d) it every 3,000 miles. When I used to turn wrenches all our engine builders told us to use Mobil 1 exclusively. As for the seals and such, I've never had any problems period. My Turbo seals are still good and although I haven't pulled the head, I'm not burning oil so I'd assume my valve guides and piston rings are in good shape. By the way, every Porsche that rolls off the assembly line has Mobil 1 in it. If it posed any problems to seals and such do you think they'd expose themselves to the liability if it were to cause expensive problems that could result in them having to rebuild thousands of engines due to seals going bad.

Now for the Gear box, use GM Synchromesh. I'm not kidding on this one. Much better than Redline or Mobil 1. Improves shifts like you wouldn't believe. Try it and you might actually be able to get that QV into second before the gearbox warms up
post #6 of 8 Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 293
i HIGHLY recommend Amsoil 20-50 Pro 2000 Racing synth. VERY good stuff!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-2004, 06:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Andrew, I would ask your friend to change to synthetic lube. Any one of the major brands will do. BUT first he will have to flush the engine first with flushing oil and then fill-up with the sythetic. They're more expensive but well worh it.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 187
I use Valvoline VR1 20/50 Racing P/N 211. It is dino based. Because I change oil in my 308 every 2,000 miles it doesn't have a chance to get dirty or worn out. Premium protection on those 90 degree days in a traffic jam or making 7k shifts on a spirited drive for less than half the cost of synthetic.

Redline 75/90 NS synthetic gear oil for the transaxle though. Great stuff!

SPASSO
308 V-12 Conversion click here.
"Oh yes, that is one of the very best ways to break these and it is also pretty dangerous. You really shouldn't do that". - mk e.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode