How to identify ABS on 328 / 3.2 series - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
How to identify ABS on 328 / 3.2 series

Anyone have any pics on what the ABS module on a late 80's 328 or 3.2 Mondial looks like? I understand it is in the front luggage / spare-wheel area (?).

I've recently checked out a couple of cars that the owners claim have ABS installed but no-one can show me where it is :nuts: . I assume it looks like a modern ABS unit, with 6 brake lines & some electrics, etc.

Even a 348 or 3.4 photo may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 05:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
The esiest way is to look at the wheels the ABS has Convex wheels (they stick out close to the rim) and the Non-ABS has Convex (more deep dish type).

Here are some examples

Convex:

Concave:

Attached Images

post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
senna,

You've got to trade in your MR-2 for a Ferrari. You know so much! Please keep teaching me. Great info, logical but never realized it.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Close, but not close enough! :green:

Unfortunately this only applies to the 328 GTB/GTS models. The 3.2 Mondials (which have same mechanicals) all used the "convex" rims from 1985 but the ABS system was an option during 87 until sometime in 1988 when it became standard. So the wheel shape ain't enough.

The owners I've dealt with either don't know about ABS or (more usually) say "Yeah, it has it". But I want to be able to check this myself. Big question = how to find it???

Also, if I was looking for a 328 I'd also want to check that the wheels just hadn't been changed. I know some folks who prefer the look of the pre-ABS ones.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids3fish
The owners I've dealt with either don't know about ABS or (more usually) say "Yeah, it has it". But I want to be able to check this myself. Big question = how to find it???
Ah, well turn the key to the on position and see if an ABS light comes on the dash/light panel. Also check the fuse box to see if their is a fuse for ABS? Logic would see that it would have one if it had ABS?

Fun way: take it for a test drive and try to lock the breaks up.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
Ah, well turn the key to the on position and see if an ABS light comes on the dash/light panel. Also check the fuse box to see if their is a fuse for ABS? Logic would see that it would have one if it had ABS?
Good thinking Andrew! Can anyone confirm that there IS an ABS light?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Suggest you try to download a copy of the owners manual from the Ferrari Owners Website. Info on ABS would be in it. Also if you have the Chassis number, the factory should be able to tell you if it is an ABS car. I have heard, and don't know if it is true, that they shipped non-ABS cars to Australia for a period after Europe and NA models had been switched to ABS.