308 Pro/Cons 308GTB versus GTS versus GT4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Pro/Cons 308GTB versus GTS versus GT4

I'm interested in your opinions about the PRO/CONS of the different 308 types.

The pro/cons of the different engine types (carb versus ignition versus QV) have been discussed on other threads. This time, I would like to ask to emphasize Facts like:

a) handling
b) weight
c) torsional stability
d) maintenance cost
e) reliability (if there is a difference at all)
f) Investment protection

g) and finally the 328 series would be rated above all those ?

Thank you!

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-09-2013, 02:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
From my biased persepctive, the 308 GTB vetroresina (Euro spec) is the one. This Ferrari converted me from being a 308 sceptic to a 308 fan(atic). The lines, the music, the performance (despite many comments along the lines that the 308s are not fast but are fun. Nonesense! A properly sorted 308 Euro spec weighing in a 1320kg with a full fat 255hp is plenty fast, particularly when the road gets twisty!) My brief comments next to each of your specs:

a) handling - best of all in the lighter, stiffer GTB. GTS handling remains sublime.
b) weight - vetroresina lightest but not by much, 40-60kg lighter than steel-bodied GTBs? Which in turn are about 50-100kg lighter than the GTS' ?
c) torsional stability - GTB although GTS impressive for a targa topped car.
d) maintenance cost - expensive up front as vetroresinas seem to be garage queens more than the others. Due to higher value? Also carbs need regular fettling after about 5,000km or so in addition to annual servicing.
e) reliability (if there is a difference at all) - once engine rebuilt and Birdman fusebox installed, fantastic! Drove 5,000km over ten days chasing Jazzy O through France and Italy in his magnificent nightbluebird. The little 308 never missed a beat.
f) Investment protection - already the vetroresina fetches about 50% more than the later models. This trend should continue

g) and finally the 328 series would be rated above all those ? - 328 more refined, more torque and low down go than the carb 308. The latter feels faster at the top end, revving more freely and more musical. Probable very similar at the top end but the 308 will always be playing catch up to the 328 in a race. I would probably be having more fun in the 308 though. Ergonomics in the 328 better than 308 although I find the dash style of the latter more exciting.

Overall, the 308 GTB carb is a great bridge between the more modern and accessible FIAT era cars and the hardcore old school tipos. A worthy succesor to the gorgeous Dino 246 with more power and refinement and just as much fun to drive (to my surprise as I loved my little 246 gt!)

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #3 of 4 Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 255
Being a recent owner of a GTB, and never having driven a GTS, I am not in a position to answer your questions.
The only point I can make here is that the value of the cars seem to vary based on the country you are in. I noticed open cars are often very well perceived in the US, but in Japan, where I live, there is a clear premium for closed cars. This may be due to many things, the fact you won't open your car very much during the year, because it will either be too hot or too cold, the fact people don't like to be seen that much, the fact GTS are indeed supposed not to handle as good as GTB... This last point will hopefully be covered in posts to follow.

My personal opinion is that if you're seeking a car that will likely not lose value, and that may (I said MAY, not will! ;-) ) increase in value in the coming years, then the Vetroresina is the way to go, which means GTB is the only option. You will also end up with the lighter car of the whole breed, and possibly the most powerful. I say possibly only because it seems like Ferrari changed the way they calculate power between the early carbed cars and the later Quatrovalvole. If they didn't, there is a good chance the 240hp of the later cars would have been pretty close to the 255hp of the early ones. Of course, I am not counting the 328 in this comparison. But even there, I would be surprised the 328 will ever reach the same value as a Vetroresina 308.

Not sure this helps in any way, but that is what I could say that would remotely answer a small part of your questions, although most probably in a biased way!

PS: I didn't read Vitalone's statement before posting this, but I see we have pretty close views!

post #4 of 4 Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Thank you guys for your extended comments, great value especially from owners !

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode