308 Who made the switch to Ferrari Life? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 11-28-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Who made the switch to Ferrari Life?

Hello Everyone!
I've been a member of the "other" Ferrari site for around 5 years or so, and in the last two years it seems that ALOT of really good people have just vanished. So, not trying to start any war but...... Who made a permanent switch? People who gave of their time, talent and inspiration and made a hell of a difference in the ownership experience . So who's here now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
I'm on both but more on the other. I find not much activity here compare to the other.
post #3 of 39 Old 11-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I left the other site about 3 years ago.

As mentioned this site isn't generally as active but it's quite nice.

post #4 of 39 Old 11-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
I like coming over here to keep up with the gossip.

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.
post #5 of 39 Old 11-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 milano View Post
Hello Everyone!
I've been a member of the "other" Ferrari site for around 5 years or so, and in the last two years it seems that ALOT of really good people have just vanished. So, not trying to start any war but...... Who made a permanent switch? People who gave of their time, talent and inspiration and made a hell of a difference in the ownership experience . So who's here now?
Made the switch about 8 years ago.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Was a member of both but stopped using the other site.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #7 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
My 2 cents... more civilized people here. Nobody there said thanks if I had some requested information and if I asked something I got a f*** off in a PM. I do check maybe once a month if there's something of interest over there but I avoid the reply button. Forum activity is what each one of us put in but many like me have a somewhat busy schedule. I'm also happy that there are less "non issue" threads that is basically boring decision anxiety. Let the Kardashian crowd worry about that. Rgds///Thomas

Last edited by C311; 11-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.
post #8 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I've been on both sites for years. I still enjoy the Chat, but like others I don't post much over there because that site goes through periods where some posters are difficult, to put it nicely. It's an issue of the size of the site, so far as I can tell. That said, it's a relatively nice period over there right now.

This place is small, but for hot rodding it's great.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
I used to be over there. now I'm here. eventually, so will everyone else. The key to activity here is to become more active!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #10 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Was a member of both but stopped using the other site.
Same here. This is a much friendlier forum and Wetpet keeps us entertained.
post #11 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 milano View Post
Hello Everyone!
Permanent!

There are plenty of good people here with talent wiling to give up their time to inspire.

Welcome to Flife
post #12 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
This thread is in the 308 section, so I will comment on that basis.

As a newcomer to Ferrari 308 ownership (less than a year), I have been active on both sites (and joined this one first). The ‘Life site is certainly more social and populated by people who actually seem to drive their cars (champagne612: we’re cheering for you and your track scud!).

Right now though, the ‘Chat site is capturing more of my attention because of the large and active 308 community regarding mechanical maintenance and performance. There is much for me to learn. Neither site is particularly active regarding driving technique and suspension tuning.

These are not the first websites on which I have participated actively. A lot of people seemed bothered by the stupidity that goes on in the internet. I have grown accustomed to ignoring the inflammatory, the personal and the stupid. There are 15 year old girls masquerading as 45 year old men and vice versa on any site. The internet is a giant melting pot of genius and stupidity.

What does bother me is that many of the great technicians of the 3x8 era are in the winters of their careers and the collation of their knowledge is occurring haphazardly. There is no Service Manual for the 3x8 like the massive Bentley Publishers BMW E30 Service Manual.

One might argue that this site or the other one are actively capturing that knowledge, but privately-owned forums can abruptly shut-down. The internet is different. A tremendous body of knowledge regarding BMW 2002s was lost about 10 years ago when one website updated their forum platform. Likewise, shut-down could come from the site owner’s diminished interest, lack of revenue, or a Court Order or lawsuit caused by inappropriate content (and certainly a site owner who provokes its own demise is a little frightening).

I am very surprised that the forum on the Ferrari Club of America website is not more active. It seems thatthe FCA site would be a natural place for a more civil and structured discourse as well as a place for coordinated effort for documentation.

… I seem to have gotten myself a little off topic.

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #13 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Brian

Thank You and will do my best - I race the 360C

There is an FCA site?
Attached Images

post #14 of 39 Old 11-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Doug, great shot there ! You are our hero !

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #15 of 39 Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Doug, great shot there ! You are our hero !

w/ smiles

Jimmy
Jimmy you and Doug rock big time!

What the hell is it with this anti human robot! I mean is it really a problem???
post #16 of 39 Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Owner

Brian A
Well said! However, many of us are no longer FCA members, so the site isn't a draw for us.

Doug, I hope the candle never burn out from both ends.
post #17 of 39 Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
I seem to have gotten myself a little off topic.
Not really, I think that you've stumbled upon a nerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
What does bother me is that many of the great technicians of the 3x8 era are in the winters of their careers and the collation of their knowledge is occurring haphazardly.
Interesting perspective, Brian. However, my clients, both existing and new might disagree. They continue to benefit from my 30+ years of knowledge and experience with these cars. Although some of them tell me that they find the commentary "interesting" on the other forums you reference, they prefer to have a local pro handle the job at hand. Despite all that knowledge "sharing" on the Internet, actual accountability really hasn't changed much in the last 100 years, or so. So, in reality the knowledge is indeed being utilized well.

As you will soon realize, all of the pros have left the "other site"....and in time, the reasons will become clear as to why.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #18 of 39 Old 11-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Owner

Off topic

We are fortunate to have excellent, Ferrari-trained techs here in our region with an independent shop (Competizione). Otherwise, I probably would not keep my Ferraris. They are the best!
post #19 of 39 Old 11-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Two other points that come to mind since my last post:

1. The 'Chat also goes through periods of over-moderation. Rob tries to keep it clean, which I appreciate a lot, but occasionally some of the moderators are rather over-bearing. There are a few that have the "I dare you to do it again and I'll ban you on the spot" tone to their posts. Time to switch to decaf.

2. When a thread like this comes up on the 'Chat, the tone is usually that everyone on FLife is a tosser, loser, Communist reject. That's not to say there isn't mud-slinging from this side of the fence, but the fact that this thread has so far remained civil is how I hope FLife continues to develop.

At the end of the day, we're on here to have fun and relax.
post #20 of 39 Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
I found that the other site could be very friendly depending on the room you hang to. The Mondial section is very family and friend oriented. Possibly because less people are in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode