348 first major service - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,194
first major service

Hard to believe this is the first major service on this car but it is, I guess the past owners where afraid of the expense. My hat is off to you guys who do this without a lift! I followed the instructions provided by My Ferrari 348 and it was painless removal, going back in might be another subject. My plan is to modify the fuel system while I have it out as I feel the duel fuel pressure regulators are not in good mechanical sense. I might put a couple test tubes in place of the cats. Replace all the rubber hoses with silicon and convert to 134a now its evacuated.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
cool. keep us updated. couple of great mechanics on this forum.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Very cool - keep us up to date! Miss my 348 now and then.
MB

post #4 of 131 Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Jack- I would stick to R12 if I were you. R134 is a much less efficient refrigerant and freon is still widely available. Know it gets hot and muggy in Arkansas, so you need all the cooling you can get.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 131 Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Jack- I would stick to R12 if I were you. R134 is a much less efficient refrigerant and freon is still widely available. Know it gets hot and muggy in Arkansas, so you need all the cooling you can get.
You know Taz your right, I evacuated the system with a recovery recycler, I'll just put it back in when I'm done. What was I thinking?

I have to hand it to Ferrari, they had their thinking caps on with the way the motor and transaxle package came out, this may be one of the easiest engine removals I've ever done. Time to clean up the tools and put back in the box so I can find stuff.

"The Story"
This car was a gift from my wife, long story but a good one, I was going to buy the car when I sold some property I had no use for, the car was a good deal as the major service had never been done, had 21k miles on the car, windows slow, had a electrical problem that drained the battery AC panel had some ghost problem that it would just come on or go off so I made the deal with one of my friends who sells exotic cars, told him soon as I closed on property I'd buy it but if someone wanted the car before I closed just sell it. My wife kept telling me she would write the check (her father left her some funds) for the car and we should go and get it and I could pay her back when we sold the property, I said no when we sold the property I would make the deal but if it sold before it wasn't meant to be. Well it finally closed and we went to pick up the car, she drove me there, my buddy said come in to the deal closing room and we would sign all the papers, I thought this was pretty weird coming from a friend, just sign the title and I would be gone in 60 seconds. Well we were all sitting at the table and he slid the title over to me with a receipt and said its yours enjoy your car, of course I said dude I haven't written the check, he smiled and said your wife did over a week ago. I must say that grown men do cry, I had never been on the receiving end of anything much less a 348 Ferrari. For those of you who know me I modify cars to extremes but for my wife I will not on this car, its special and I want to keep it that way so she will enjoy riding with me without the cat like white knuckled grip she normally has while trying to hold on to a laptop.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
post #6 of 131 Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Great story Jack. You've definitely got one of the good ones, and the car may not be bad either

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #7 of 131 Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #8 of 131 Old 11-05-2013, 08:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Great story indeed. I think I'll share it with Allison later on so she knows what I expect when she gets done with school.

Joking aside, great to see you're staying busy down there.
post #9 of 131 Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Jack- She is a keeper, and hopefully so is the 348. The engine looks pretty good without many oil stains, so hopefully you got a good one.

Any thoughts of putting Dave Helms' gold connector kit on her while she is apart?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 11-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
post #10 of 131 Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Terry I don't think I will put the gold connector kit yet, seems to me those connectors should be OK if cleaned and sprayed with Lc7, I may eat my words later....

Nothing out of the ordinary today, went through the valves and checked clearance, they were within tolerance, to be honest I have yet to find any major changes on valve clearance between services on my other cars but none have never had a service like this car. One thing I would bring attention to is the the carrier bearing adjacent to tensioner which could be a little tricky removing if you didn't know how it was held into place, there is a bracket which is behind the cam belt shield which holds that bearing not the block which you would think. If improperly removed I can see that you would damage or destroy that piece which would cost extra and slow your progress. I looked closely at the tensioner bearing mount after I noticed that the puller was not extracting the unit from the block only to find its not in the block but this bracket. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

John I did buy a Prius coil and it fits perfectly, not that I am going to modify this ignition system but you know me, I have to just look.

Good night!
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
post #11 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I am certain I'm the first to crack these nuts on this engine which is a first for me also, most of the cars I've owned have been worked on by others so I find this engine most interesting.

There are two guides located under the cam belt inspection cover, after removing the cover I measured the distance between the guide and the belt, one was .1 and the other .115 inch, in some of pictures I've seen of these they show signs of wear from touching the belt, these show no wear whatsoever.

I did notice there was about .5 inch travel just to the left of the tensioner, this seemed excessive and when I loosed the nut on the tensioner it tighten and removed the slack, so this is something that should have been taken care of shortly after being run in after new.
Attached Images

A bunch of stuff.
post #12 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 07:23 AM
Owner

Man, this is like watching one of those forensics shows. NCIS starring Jack.
post #13 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Man, this is like watching one of those forensics shows. NCIS starring Jack.
Look whos talking, Kathleen said your hands work like a surgeon.

A bunch of stuff.
post #14 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

water pump seal

I broke the new seal for the water pump, ordered another seal and the Ferrari EL SPECIAL tool for installation of this fragile unit.

I would recommend to purchase a rebuilt water pump, not that the work can't be done but by the time you buy the tool, seals and do the work your way ahead by just ordering a rebuilt unit. This water pump looked and felt great, could have lasted another 20 years or 6 hours, who knows.

A bunch of stuff.
post #15 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2164 View Post
Look whos talking, Kathleen said your hands work like a surgeon.
Lol. It's good she wasn't around last weekend when I snapped the 6x1mm bolt on the go-kart that clamps down the shift rod to the transmission.
post #16 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Quote:
I broke the new seal for the water pump, ordered another seal and the Ferrari EL SPECIAL tool for installation of this fragile unit.

I would recommend to purchase a rebuilt water pump, not that the work can't be done but by the time you buy the tool, seals and do the work your way ahead by just ordering a rebuilt unit. This water pump looked and felt great, could have lasted another 20 years or 6 hours, who knows.
See Dick Jordan in ocean springs MS. He rebuilds yours for $99 and I haven't heard a single complaint. The one he did for me has 20k miles with a single hiccup. I have more contact info if you need it.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #17 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Lane where the hell have you been? The seal is almost that! Thanks for that information, do you need a new seal and EL SPECIAL Ferrari tool?

A bunch of stuff.
post #18 of 131 Old 11-06-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretm View Post
Lol. It's good she wasn't around last weekend when I snapped the 6x1mm bolt on the go-kart that clamps down the shift rod to the transmission.
Kathleen thinks you should have been a doctor, even doctors make mistakes, ask the one that delivered me.

A bunch of stuff.
post #19 of 131 Old 11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Kathleen thinks you should have been a doctor, even doctors make mistakes, ask the one that delivered me.
Lol. Jack, you always crack me up!
post #20 of 131 Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Lane- Do you have contact information for Dick Jordan? Will add it to my hard drive. Will come in handy in the future.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode