328 Contemplating a quieter exhaust - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Contemplating a quieter exhaust

Looking for some serious advice on options to quiet down the exhaust system I have. I bought my 328 GTS (US spec, single cat) with a Tubi Style system on it; added to the car some 10 or so years ago before my time. It sounds magnificent, but at the end of the day it leaves my ears ringing. I'm not getting any younger, and while I love the sound, it's not doing anything good for my hearing in the long term. I've started using foam earplugs...

Looking for some reasonable options to quite an otherwise perfect car 5 - 10db. I'd even consider going with a stock exhaust or modern equivalent if such a thing exists, but thought I'd give the serious folks here a shot at coming up with something outside the box.

Thanks all!

- Jeff
- 1987 Ferrari 328 GTS #71403
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 03:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
I can understand your desire. I have the optional Racing Exhaust on my 360. And while it sounds wonderful, I too wear foamies on long drives.

I say go stock, but don't really know what's available for the 3x8 series.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I can understand your desire. I have the optional Racing Exhaust on my 360. And while it sounds wonderful, I too wear foamies on long drives.

I say go stock, but don't really know what's available for the 3x8 series.
Thanks for the reply. I'd be willing to entertain a swap to a mint condition but used stock exhaust if anyone wants a Tubi system.

- Jeff

post #4 of 17 Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 120
Whick pieces specifically are you running on the car now? Is it just mufflers? or do you also have manifolds, Race Pipes (decats) or maybe Sport Cats?

If it's just the muffler, you can really only replace it with a quieter version or see if you can squeeze in a resonator somewhere.

Best Regards,
post #5 of 17 Old 08-01-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaDynamics View Post
Whick pieces specifically are you running on the car now? Is it just mufflers? or do you also have manifolds, Race Pipes (decats) or maybe Sport Cats?

If it's just the muffler, you can really only replace it with a quieter version or see if you can squeeze in a resonator somewhere.

Best Regards,
Just the muffler, and it was put on a few owners back.

- Jeff
post #6 of 17 Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Yeah, that's pretty tough. If you had Race Pipes (De-Cats), you could just switch back to sport cats to quiet it down.

Unfortunately, there isn't much pipework in there to fit a resonator. You'll probably have to just replace the muffler with something quieter like the stock exhaust or find a qualified exhaust shop that was willing to modify it.

I'm fairly sure you can find someone that would exchange a factory one with you as well, just be sure your replacement is in good shape. Many of the factory mufflers have deteriorated quite a bit (especially high moisture areas) and we have owners that are replacing them for that reason.

Best of luck!
post #7 of 17 Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I can imagine that's one reason why my original was replaced with the tubi all those years ago. Does anyone make a modern silencer for these cars that mirrors the stock sound levels?

I wonder if replacing the tips (which are just open pipes in a Y configuration) with a set of resonator tips would have the desired effect?

- Jeff
post #8 of 17 Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 56
I agree that it's nice to enjoy the Ferrari note in a civilized way. Running open header is really cool for about 4 seconds, after that - enough!

Foar another Ferrari project, I chose Borla mufflers 'cause I heard good reviews. The best compliment was when I started up and left, the muffler shop told me they didn't hear me take off. I think Borla makes systems for the 308. i wonder i fthey are setup for cats??
post #9 of 17 Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
I have a custom magnaflow muffler on mine with dual rolled tips. Most everyone that hears it likes it. It's also much easier on my ears than the quicksilver I had previously.... Which I would consider a near clone of a tubi. If you plan on keeping the cat you might want to take a look at the magnaflow.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #10 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM

The Larini is a wonderful sound on the 328... I don't believe it's too loud but it is louder than stock. From our experience the Tubi resonates a bit and it's not so much about how loud it actually is, but more about the frequency that's resonating at that volume that can be fatiguing.

Also, if the muffler is quite a bit older, it may be that some of the packing has come loose and thus the muffler becomes louder.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an aftermarket exhaust that's at the factory volume levels. While most owners don't want a decatted race car loud exhaust. Many do still prefer a louder sport exhaust on a show car that they don't drive as frequently.

I think it's going to be difficult to compare volume levels without hearing them in person. Perhaps you can find another owner with an exhaust you're considering at an event (Concorso Italiano is coming up soon).

In any case, good luck in your search!
post #11 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaDynamics View Post
The Larini is a wonderful sound on the 328... I don't believe it's too loud but it is louder than stock. From our experience the Tubi resonates a bit and it's not so much about how loud it actually is, but more about the frequency that's resonating at that volume that can be fatiguing.

Also, if the muffler is quite a bit older, it may be that some of the packing has come loose and thus the muffler becomes louder.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of an aftermarket exhaust that's at the factory volume levels. While most owners don't want a decatted race car loud exhaust. Many do still prefer a louder sport exhaust on a show car that they don't drive as frequently.

I think it's going to be difficult to compare volume levels without hearing them in person. Perhaps you can find another owner with an exhaust you're considering at an event (Concorso Italiano is coming up soon).

In any case, good luck in your search!
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the only thing that will get me close to stock levels is a stock exhaust. Thanks for your kind replies.

- Jeff
post #12 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,577
I think your best bet will be keeping a eye out for one on eBay.

There will be a 328 owner that wants to unload theirs for a new aftermarket one.

Patience is your friend.

Please note, I am NOT a member of Beavis's Exclusive KissAss Club.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
I think your best bet will be keeping a eye out for one on eBay.

There will be a 328 owner that wants to unload theirs for a new aftermarket one.

Patience is your friend.
Yep, eyes and ears are wide open at this point. If anyone knows of someone who wants a US-spec 328 Tubi and is willing to trade for a good condition stock exhaust, send them my way.

- Jeff
post #14 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Off with the new, on with the old

Thanks to Jim Bath in CO for also keeping an eye out for a great condition stock muffler. He made me a great deal on a low mileage one. A little bit of surface discoloring was quickly dealt with by vigorous cleaning with Simple Green and a medium grit sanding sponge. Followed that with a nice coat of high temp muffler paint.

Picture 1: Tubi exhaust can ready to be removed

Picture 2, 3: Freshly cleaned and painted stock muffler

Picture 4: Mounted and aligned

The sound: Much more refined at all speeds. I'd say about 50 - 60% as loud/harsh as the Tubi. It's actually what I imagined a 328 to sound like coming out of the showroom. The really nice thing is you can hear more of the spinning engine parts, intake sounds, and so on.
Attached Images

- Jeff
post #15 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Maybe it is from a life of being around loud cars and race cars and guns but I find myself hating loud cars.

Both of ours have stock exhaust and it is much more enjoyable because we really like to drive them distances.

I do wish however the quiet exhausts had a better tone. The stock Ferrari US exhausts sound a little like a Honda generator but they do let me enjoy the drive.

Black 328 is a great choice
Attached Images

Last edited by Brian; 08-22-2013 at 05:33 PM.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Brian. I'm not sure I entirely agree with you on the Honda-like sound, but even so it's just that much more pleasurable to drive... Yesterday did a 200+ mile trip completely around Mt. Rainier and found the tone to be plenty sporty enough, just not yelling-in-my-ear loud like it used to be.

And finally, my neighbors really like the decision to ease off on the sound levels. Everybody wins.

- Jeff
post #17 of 17 Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
I still have the stock exhaust on my QV. I couldn't imagine wanting to make it louder.

Anyway, yours looks absolutely great with the high-temp black paint. Well done!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode