F355 Sticky 355 switches - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Sticky 355 switches

As a new 355 owner I see this is a typical problem. Is there a way to clean then to remove the tackyness or should I just buy new switches? Has anyone been successful using a solvent of some type on them like paint thiner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Look up Sticky No More and send the parts to him.

It is a messy pain in the butt job. I have done it and no way I'll go through it again. SIM is priced very reasonably for the work he does.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
When you see just how much some of these sticky parts costs, you'll have these guys that Brian referred to refinish them first. Sticky No More - Exotic Cars Interior Refinishing Services

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Look up Sticky No More and send the parts to him.

It is a messy pain in the butt job. I have done it and no way I'll go through it again. SIM is priced very reasonably for the work he does.

It's not worth the learning curve and tar in your hair, ship them to SNM, Robbie does a great job, mind blowing lead time (2 days for a ton of stuff), and a fair price
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
The previous owner of my car did them himself and they look great. That said, he was a real tinkerer and had the patience to figure this all out. IIRC, he said he used an oven cleaner like Easy Off but please don't go and experiment without doing plenty of research first.

Your best bet - get in touch with Robbie at Sticky No More as several others have suggested. I can't imagine a bigger PITA DIY project.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
I decided to cover them with carbon fiber, but they guy who did it lost the little clips in the buttons, which made them to work in 2 positions. I'm talking about the ones in front of the gear lever. That's why I had to buy another buttons to take their clips. But of course if an experienced guy does the job of the refurbishing (like Robbie), he will know that these can be lost easily and he will be careful.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
I had some time today and would pass on a "potential fix" for the do it yourselfer who has sticky switches. I tried a product called "Goo Gone" it is a citrus based cleaner used for those sticky price tags that you can never get off. I used a Q tip and kept rubbing and got plenty of "tar" off and after it dried it was dry to the touch. No more stickness. I used it on the door switches and the bank of switches on the consol. I dont know if it worked for me because my switches were not that bad but it is worth a few bucks and some qtips if you want to try it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode