F355 slowdown light - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
slowdown light

I finally took delivery of a 98 355F1. After driving it for about 7 miles in Scottsdale AZ @ 110 degrees the slow down light began flashing. We made it to our destination and the return trip was uneventfull BUT the light conitnued to flash. This morning after reading the manuals I expected the light to be gone since the car was cool ( nothing EVER gets cold here). Started her up and behold the light is still on blinking a nasty red. I am thinking about having the car towed to the Ferrari dealer. The cats were replaced a few thousand miles ago. Any ideas as to what this is;possibly a faulty relay?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
JR,

Have a look at my 355 blog from September 2012 (here's a good entry to start with):

Love the 355: Limp mode

and work forward. I had similar issues and ended up replacing the ECU units and the thermocouple and finally ensuring that the ECU was mounted on to chasis.

Quickest ways to isolate is to swap the ECUs between banks to see where issue follows ECU. If not you can then swap the thermocouple to again see where the issues moves. If it stays after moving ECU and thermocouple then it would sound like the cats. However, sounds to me like it is no given at low temperature you get the issue.

Anyway have a read through my blog entry (which has plenty of pictures and diagrams on my findings) and feel free to ping me directly if you have further questions.

Cheers
Robert
post #3 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
hey,

does your F355 seem to be running with less power, like in "limp" mode? if so, i had the same problem recently. my mechanic found out it was an exhaust leak from a loose and bad plug. he fixed it and it's all good.

unfortunately, the more i researched the slow down lights are common problems on our cars.

good luck

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

post #4 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 03:39 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
JR,

>>does your F355 seem to be running with less power, like in "limp" mode?

It did at one stage when the came on fully. If the 1-4 Slow Down light detects (or thinks) that cats are overheating it will cut one bank (4 cylinders) from operating. Thus, the car only runs on 4 cylinders and take it from me you notice.

>>i researched the slow down lights are common problems on our cars

Yes, it is a common problem but can be solved by a process of elimination. ECU - Thermocouple-etc.

Thanks
Robert
post #5 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Things I've learned in my first year of 355 ownership...

For what it's worth, in addition to the good advice above, you might find the SDL pop up (even though things are running well) if any combination of the following is happening:

- driving at consistently low revs: I've really had to adapt to not putt-putting around town at 2k rpm in the F355. Other cars with this kind of power are happy to go low-rev for as long as you want, but the F355 really likes to run along at 3000-3500rpm, with easy routine shifts around 4k. If you're like me and were taught that revs = wear, this is an interesting learning process to go through. The car is much happier at slightly higher revs than your typical street car.

- are the cats original or aftermarket? SDL problems are fairly common with aftermarket cats. There are solutions to this on both this and the other Ferrari technical forums.

- (now that I think about it, this following one might only be relevant to the 2.7 OBD1 cars, not the 96-99 OBD2 ones... others can confirm?) when the car was shipped or last worked on, the ECU may not have been properly "reset" after reconnecting the battery. Any time the battery is disconnected on your car, once reconnected you'll have to turn off anything electric that's an accessory (A/C, radio, fans, lights, etc) and let the car idle from cold up until the second fan turns on (usually around 10 mins). This lets the ECU "re-learn" its parameters. An improperly initialized ECU will have all sorts of sensor flakiness, for example mine often runs rich if not properly initialized (hence SDLs occurring more frequently).

Hope that helps! Lots of great knowledgeable guys here on the board, but I thought I'd share my amateur experiences as well.

Cheers.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
Jim,

I've had the same issue, intermittently. Happened when the car was dead cold so I know it's the ECU, one of them. I've only got the flash, not steady on and it's now gone away (for now). I'm planning to buy a ECU and have it on hand…
post #7 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
As more as I search, I also end to the idea of buying a spare ECU, as these seem to go faulty often. But the left and the right units are different from eachother, right?

But also another thing - I have spoken to a guy, that knows a lot about wires and he said, that the ECU units from that era are not so hard to be repaired, so I guess that's an option too.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Owner

Garage
post #9 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumen1 View Post
I have spoken to a guy, that knows a lot about wires and he said, that the ECU units from that era are not so hard to be repaired.
It's certainly a simple circuit, but those units are encapsulated in epoxy. That would make it pretty difficult to repair.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 AM
Owner

Garage
post #11 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Right before my car was delivered they changed the battery.Prior to that event the car was operating perfectly. This may be the answer to my problem...I hope. Do you think driving the car to the repair shop ( about 5 miles) would be a problem?
post #12 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRap View Post
Right before my car was delivered they changed the battery.Prior to that event the car was operating perfectly. This may be the answer to my problem...I hope. Do you think driving the car to the repair shop ( about 5 miles) would be a problem?
IF your SD light is only flashing, it will be no problem at all. If it's on steady, I would not drive it.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Owner

As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), if there is no spark, the injectors don't inject fuel too, so I don't think there will be a problem.

About that ECUs, I will check if the serial numbers on both units on mine are the same, but if you say they are, then that's great.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumen1 View Post

About that ECUs, I will check if the serial numbers on both units on mine are the same, but if you say they are, then that's great.
Serial numbers won't be the same, it's the part number you need to look at.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Owner

Yes, that's what I actually wanted to say
post #16 of 19 Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, I finally got the SDL fixed. Thank you all for your comments. I turned off the battery switch under the hood turned it back on ,restarted the car and let it get up to operating temp.At that point the SDL is still flashing but I went out and "drove it like I stole it" as someone suggested and low and behold the light went off. Unfortunately a few minutes before the SDL went off the "check engine" light appeared!. So now I have no SDL but a check engine light . The fans are working and today in AZ it is 106 and with the a/c on it is very comfortable and the needle is below the half way mark. I still need to have the car checked before I can bring it to the emmissions tester. I am hoping the next time I get in the car I have no surprises BUT I do believe that is the nature of the beast. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by JRap; 06-16-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
post #17 of 19 Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRap View Post
Well, I finally got the SDL fixed. Thank you all for your comments. I turned off the battery switch under the hood turned it back on ,restarted the car and let it get up to operating temp.At that point the SDL is still flashing but I went out and "drove it like I stole it" as someone suggested and low and behold the light went off. Unfortunately a few minutes before the SDL went off the "check engine" light appeared!. So now I have no SDL but a check engine light . The fans are working and today in AZ it is 106 and with the a/c on it is very comfortable and the needle is below the half way mark. I still need to have the car checked before I can bring it to the emmissions tester. I am hoping the next time I get in the car I have no surprises BUT I do believe that is the nature of the beast. Any ideas anyone?
Sounds like there may be a real problem here, rather than just a faulty sensor. That or you've got ECU(s) crapping out on you. What code(s) is the CEL reading?
post #18 of 19 Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

John and Andy @ FMS in Ft. Hills AZ now have the car.The first problem was the pass side header. The headers are being replaced with new Fabspeed's.Once they are installed then there will be a few other gremlins to take care of. This is definitely a labor of love.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-30-2013, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks to Andy @ FMS my car finally passed emissions and is now plated in AZ with NO problems.In retrospect I would/should have checked to see if the car you are purchasing will pass emissions in the state you live in.I purchased my car from Missouri;no test required. If you live in a state which has strict emissions test it could be a problem.That being said all is fine thanks to the work of FMS.Hats off to them if you are ever in a bind.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode