F355 Active suspension problem - Page 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 Old 05-01-2015, 10:40 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
So, just so everyone who reads this understands. When Ferrari used Konis, shock problems were virtually nonexistent. Ferrari switches over to Bilstein and virtually every model has issues with premature shock failure. Bilstein rebuilds them cheaply using the same junk that originally failed and warranties them for 90 day or maybe a year. On the other hand, Rob offers better service, uses far better materials and warranties his stuff for a lifetime. So, if you're a 456 owner, who rear shocks maybe last 18 months in a metro market, Rob's "no hassle-no questions asked" warranty sure looks like a better deal. And then there's the F355 owner whose rear shocks failed 10 years later. Again, Rob step's up and covers the repairs at no cost to the customer. Then again, most F355 shocks start leaks with OEM type repairs after just a few years, although the suspension failure lights remains off.

Yes, you are correct though. Bilstein is cheaper. Your one time view sure makes it seem that way. Make no mistake, there's always someone that will do it cheaper. To make a blanket statement that Rob is charging some contrived "Ferrari tax" is offensive to those that deal with him and these cars on a regular basis.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Garage
Dave,

I know Mark (gobble) and I'm sure he did not mean to be "offensive". He probably did not understand the difference and I believe he was a bit turned off that Rob tripped his price in a short period.

Mark, if I am speaking incorrectly on your behalf, my apologies.
post #23 of 30 Old 05-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Probably not, Dave...but this generalized "Ferrari Tax" crap is very tiresome. Yes, the dealer and FNA prices can be, at times, on the high side, But, for the folks who have to deal with and repair these cars on a regular basis, the investment is substantial in order to deliver a truly high quality product/service. This is often forgotten when one gets a "lower" price for what appears to be a similar service. When the cheaper rebuilds fails, we will not hear about the great deal the owner got, but rather what s crappy job they did...

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #24 of 30 Old 05-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Probably not, Dave...but this generalized "Ferrari Tax" crap is very tiresome. Yes, the dealer and FNA prices can be, at times, on the high side, But, for the folks who have to deal with and repair these cars on a regular basis, the investment is substantial in order to deliver a truly high quality product/service. This is often forgotten when one gets a "lower" price for what appears to be a similar service. When the cheaper rebuilds fails, we will not hear about the great deal the owner got, but rather what s crappy job they did...

I understand and I don't disagree at all.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,860
Rob has also taken it upon himself to provide upgrades for Ferrari owners. Maranello Skunkworks' Dave developed a hyperblock for 550 shocks to eliminate the metal to metal shock mount and Ron is now providing that hyperblock mount for 550 owners. He also has his own proprietary parts for Bilstein rebuilding that replace the OE Bilstein parts that will just fail again.

Like David said, too, there is the lifetime warranty.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Last edited by tazandjan; 05-02-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #26 of 30 Old 05-01-2015, 12:12 PM
Owner

Garage
I know my 95 has at least one bad shock, I will be sure to look Rob up when the time comes.
post #27 of 30 Old 05-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 94
How do you know a shock is bad other than a suspension fault light or evidence of it leaking?

Any other ways to tell?
post #28 of 30 Old 05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Owner
Sponsor

A few thoughts....
-A suspension fault doesn't necessarily mean a bad shock; the actuators and/or gears can be suspect.
-Even if the shock is leaking/faulty, a suspension light may not necessarily illuminate
-If you have the shock out of the car and spring removed, a truly "bad" shock can be easily depressed with light hand pressure and will not return to the extended position by itself
-Ride quality or lack thereof can be a good indicator of a problem

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #29 of 30 Old 05-04-2015, 07:09 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Why did he raise his price 375% overnight? That's my issue. Plus, Rob rubbed me the wrong way when he told me on the phone "You bought a Ferrari, what do you expect"

I'm not questioning his work, this just stinks of Ferrari tax to me and that's just an opinion. Personally I don't care about a "lifetime warranty" as I typically don't keep a car more than 5 years before wanting something different. If the Bilstein rebuild lasts 5, 10, or 15 years (only one had started to leak in 15 years), that's good enough for me.

I was at the guys shop a few weeks ago that rebuilds the actuators. He said they could probably charge twice as much for the Ferrari rebuilds vs. the Corvette rebuilds because the Ferrari part costs $1000. But he also said how would I justify that when I do the same thing to both. He could charge $500 for a Ferrari rebuild and add a "lifetime warranty", but he doesn't.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Owner

Garage
Let me explain "Ferrari Tax".....

Ferrari builds a relatively low volume of cars than most and therefore the economy of scale in part producing is not what other manufactures see. It's only natural that low volume will equal higher costs.

To boot, manufactures are required to have spare parts available for a length of time. Many of those parts will never be needed and the carrying cost alone is a huge burden to companies.

I just recently paid $80ish each for tensioner bearing bracket collars - a very simple tuned part. In my shop, to sell 1000 of those would cost about $2.00 each. 10, $100.00 each.

That is not "Ferrari Tax" it's manufacturing. If you don't live and breath manufacturing, it's not something you have first hand experience with and most people compare the cost of other high production, china parts. It's not apples to apples.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode