F355 Cracked headers? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Cracked headers?

Hi guys, at the beginning, when I first checked in this forum about the common F355 problems, I have read about the headers. However, when the engine was out for a cambelt changed, they seemed fine.

Today I have cruised with the car a little bit and strangely after one of the start-ups, it started to work strange - like a misfire or something. Then at some point everything was OK again. Then I left the car for an hour and after I started her, the engine worked for several seconds and stalled. Started it again - it worked, but the engine wasn't working as it should, the car hasn't got full power and it from 1000 to 2000 rpms there was a strange "sucking" noise... I left her in the garage, I am not a good mechanic, so I will take her to the workshop on Monday, but I will freak out tomorrow, not knowing what is going on.

So what I basically wanted to ask is if the symptoms for cracked headers are something like that, or I am dealing with a totally different issue (like one of the fuel pumps or something..).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rumen1; 05-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,352
Rumen, from what you described, I don't think your problem are the exhaust headers but rather a loose vacuum hose and should be an easy fix
post #3 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you Stef. Yesterday, when I got home, I have saw, that the hose, that goes to the exhaust valve between the 2 air filters has gone off and I have put it back, but it seemed, that nothing changed, but today I will check again and I will switch off and on the battery, so the ECU can relearn itself and I'll see. Like I have said, I am not good with mechanics (that can easily be seen from my questions), but I hope I will be able to resolve this myself. Thanks again.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Rumen,

Can it be an exhaust leak? From a loose ECU plug? That was what happened to me, but I didn't necessarily get a sucking noise like you. I also had the CEL and slow down lights come on. Did any of your lights come on?

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #5 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

No, none of the lights showed up.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I just come from the garage. This time the car hasn't started... Or actually it started, worked bad for 3-4 seconds and stalled. Tried it twice more - the same thing. This doesn't seem to be the vacuums or the headers...
post #7 of 18 Old 05-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,352
Rumen, I meant the vacuum hoses of the intake plenum Maybe you have a leak on the intake manifold (gaskets, hoses, etc).
post #8 of 18 Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Do not turn off the battery.

A. In the long run it will solve nothing.

And

B. It will just make the job of diagnosing and repairing the car more difficult and expensive.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Brian, thank you for that info. Unfortunately I already switched the battery off. However in my case it's the same story, because here there is no workshop with the necessary software for this car, so they must search the issue by hand anyway. I will take her to the workshop tomorrow, I don't know, I really hope it will be something small, like the fuel pumps or something, because they are maybe the only parts, which I can get without a month of waiting after ordering.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

OK, problem solved. It was the fuse box, the one that stays on the passenger's feet. Something in it has gone wrong and there was no power supply to the left ECU in the engine bay, causing the car to work on 4 cylinders. (I don't know why was that a problem, my Alfa Romeo also has 4 cylinders, but it works fine hahahaha)

Seriously - The guy who fixed it said, that these boxes (similar to the ones on other italian cars from that era) are very easier to go wrong. Now I only have one more issue to fix and that is the active suspension. I have opened a different thread for that, hope that's not a problem.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Glad you guys were able to din the problem Rumen. I have come across a 355 with a fuse box failure as well, in our case the (1) fuel pump wouldn't power up and the car wouldn't start at all.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Do not turn off the battery.

A. In the long run it will solve nothing.

And

B. It will just make the job of diagnosing and repairing the car more difficult and expensive.
Just curious but why would it make the diagnosis more difficult, was under the impression that all the history has saved in the ECU until cleared with an SD reader?
post #13 of 18 Old 06-08-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

As far as I know the 2.7 needs to relearn all the engine parameters for 10 minutes if you switch it off. So if it forgets that, Ithen I guess it forgets everything.

Last edited by rumen1; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Just curious but why would it make the diagnosis more difficult, was under the impression that all the history has saved in the ECU until cleared with an SD reader?

Adaptive data gets erased and that is often important information for a diagnosis. Error history remains usually but is actually of very limited use in diagnostics.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hey guys, I didn't wanted to start new thread, so I am posting in this one. Last week I have taken the car to the workshop and asked them to clean the injectors and change their o-rings for a precausion. They have done that, but in the process they found, that actually both of the O2 sensors in the car are not working and it was running rich. They have changed them, but as far as I know, the 355 has 4 )2 sensors, and on mine there were only 2. Is this because the 2.7 motronic model has only 2 and the 5.2 has 4, or it is just because 2 of mine were missing? I have changed the cats with aftermarket ones when I bought the car and that's why I can't see how many holes are on them (they are already thrown away).

The strangest thing of all is that now, when these two O2 sensors work, the car is less powere than before. And I mean tangibility less. Of course this may be a totally different issue. And on top of that when I go over 7000 rpm the check engine 5-8 light blinks (never showed before).

So how many O2 sensors has the 2.7 motronic 1994 model car?
post #16 of 18 Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Owner

A 2.7 car has only 2 sensors.

Lots of problems are incorrectly diagnosed as 02 sensor problems and o2 sensors cover up other problems.

A car should run perfectly with them unplugged. When plugged back in on a motor running correctly their effect should be nearly imperceptible. It is intended that they only make minor, temporary adjustments to fuel mixture but they have no idea if their adjustment is just in response to another malfunctioning component.

My first step during engine diagnosis is to disconnect them.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you for your help Brian, it is always much appreciated. I will post again when we have a resolution of this.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

OK guys, it seems that the fuse box is giving problems again - half of the cylinders have gone again. I guess that replacing it will be the only choice, because fixing it only makes it work for a while.. They re-welded every pin in it again, but obviously it didn't worked for too long.

So my question is - are all the fuse boxes for all model years of the F355 the same? Because I will try to first look for a second-hand one.

I am talking about the one in the passenger's feet and not the one under the front bonnet.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode