328 Gas leak front of car. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
Gas leak front of car.

Can tank be over filled? Is there an over flow valve? May occur when tank is filled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Fuel tank is in the back.

There is no fuel in the front.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
What makes you think the leak is in the front? 328 has two fuel tanks right in front of each rear wheel well. Gas leaks on those often come from fuel lines and there are quite a few on that car because of the twin gas tanks and the fuel injection.

------------------------------

Life is Good!

post #4 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I meant to say in front of the rear wheels.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Owner

High probability it is a bad hose. All 328's are old enough that they need the entire fuel system rehosed.

Only you can prevent Ferrari fires.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Brian: Thanks. Dealer picking it up now to trouble shoot. Thought there may be a gas over flow. Filled it up yesterday. I'll follow up and let you know. Thnx
post #7 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Only you can prevent Ferrari fires.
Gawd too funny. Too true too.

What is a good source of fuel hoses? (I am aware of the $380 boutique hoses: are they the recommended ones?)

How do you tell (beyond a puddle of flamable liquid under the car) if the hoses need to be replaced (they get soft? they get hard? They swell? etc?).

(For my car, I have a record of a "fuel pump inlet hose" replacement in 2008, but no record of the tank interconnect hoses: I don't know how old they are).

1983 308 GTS Quattrovalvole
post #8 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Gawd too funny. Too true too.

What is a good source of fuel hoses? (I am aware of the $380 boutique hoses: are they the recommended ones?)

How do you tell (beyond a puddle of flamable liquid under the car) if the hoses need to be replaced (they get soft? they get hard? They swell? etc?).

(For my car, I have a record of a "fuel pump inlet hose" replacement in 2008, but no record of the tank interconnect hoses: I don't know how old they are).

If it has Ferrari hoses it needs new ones. All the OE vapor hoses are cloth braided. The lower hoses are odd metric sizes. There are no suitable hoses for that purpose except from Ferrari or Scuderia Rampante. The Ferrari hoses are more expensive. Take your pick.

You, like me live in California. Your fuel pump inlet hose needs to be replaced. Our fuel will eat right through approved fuel hose.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Owner

This is a currently available DOT approved fuel hose on a 308 that is only 2 years old exposed to California fuel. The gas is just going right through it. The outer rubber is so badly cracked it looks 30 years old.
Attached Images

post #10 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
This is a currently available DOT approved fuel hose on a 308 that is only 2 years old exposed to California fuel. The gas is just going right through it. The outer rubber is so badly cracked it looks 30 years old.
GAAK!!!

Quote:
...You, like me live in California. Your fuel pump inlet hose needs to be replaced. Our fuel will eat right through approved fuel hose.
... I think I'm going to order me some nice boutique fuel hoses this evening...

post #11 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Quote:
That junk doesn't do much better here on the other coast. The only hose that seems to last is the SRI stuff from Dave . The 'super duper' NAPA-branded stuff is even worse...However, the Gates Barricade line, which, last I checked, was not available in 5/8" (16mm) seems to be holding up well in other engine compartment locations.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #12 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
If it has Ferrari hoses it needs new ones. All the OE vapor hoses are cloth braided...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
... the Gates Barricade line, which, last I checked, was not available in 5/8" (16mm) seems to be holding up well....
Sorry for asking for some babysitting here but what hoses, beyond the fuel tank interconnects and the fuel pump intake hoses, need urgent replacement? My first instinct is to think that the vapor hoses are not critical.

(Sorry also to OP: I hope I am not hijacking your thread too badly.)

post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Good example of why good enough, just isn't. That hose is so bad, almost seems made up to be that new.

I'm also a supporter of the SRI hoses. Clients that prefer products like the ones shown above are encourage to place the burden on another person's shoulders, not mine.

Most likely the answer to "which hoses" is going to be all of them, with the ones carrying liquid more needy that those that channel vapor. As with anything on these older cars, anything worth taking the time to do is worth taking the time to do correct.

I advise being prepared to address the entire system in a single shot and protect you and the car from potential harm.

post #14 of 17 Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post

I advise being prepared to address the entire system in a single shot and protect you and the car from potential harm.

And in the end it is easier. When I did my own 328 I replumbed the entire fuel system. When I did the coolant hoses I did everything including all the heater hoses and new heater cores. When I replumbed the ventillation system I replaced every hose.

They're old cars. They need it.

I've fixed cars that had fires. Never again. When a car catches fire, I'm off to get marshmellows.

I want nothing to do with a car that has had a fire except as a source to cook.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
My first instinct is to think that the vapor hoses are not critical.
The vapor is more flammable/volatile than the fuel itself. Gates, Tygon, SRI and others makes some very high quality lines for vapor use. Some are reasonably priced, others not. A quick and easy test to see if the vapor line is doing its job is "Can I smell fuel" through the line? If you can, the material really isn't suitable for vapor. One of the many problems as Brian pointed out is the odd sizes used by Ferrari. The other is simply cost. for the most part, your local NAPA or Shelp Boyz isn't going to carry the product you really need. What makes the Ferrari application more critical than others is that the underhood temps are higher...and fuel is actually sitting in those cross-over lines, all the time!

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

post #16 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
...Gates, Tygon, SRI and others makes some very high quality lines for vapor use. Some are reasonably priced, others not...
In these intervening 12 hours I have ordered myself the whole suite of hoses from Ricambi, including the SRI lower hoses. My wallet is hemorrhaging.

Quote:
...The vapor is more flammable/volatile than the fuel itself. ...What makes the Ferrari application more critical than others is that the underhood temps are higher...and fuel is actually sitting in those cross-over lines, all the time!
Thanks to all for the help: those lower fuel tank interconnect hoses are terrifying to me. I really want The Best when it comes to replacement hose. I coughed up the bucks for the SRI hoses out of total risk aversion. (Nice guys: Dave at SRI sent me a long response about his design goals in having custom hose manufactured.)

My existing hoses "look" like they are in good shape, but I want to minimize risk and will change them (although a couple vent hoses look impossible to access without yanking the engine) (which I am not going to do at this time) (not sure yet what I'll do there).

post #17 of 17 Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Brian,

We've done many of Dave's kits...and I have his coolant hose on my personal car. Top quality stuff that will give tremendous piece of mind...Having done a fair amount of business with Dave and his wife Kris, they are solid folks, as well.

I put fuel hoses and timing belts into similar categories; they always look good until they fail. Then again, the hose that Brian posted was pretty nasty to look at and failure was imminent.

The vent hoses are a bit of a challenge in situ. The "trick" if you will is to remove the deck lid. With a few friends, it's a simple job...and accessibility is greatly improved.

Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode