308 Help please - Oil choice for 308 Carb...? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Help please - Oil choice for 308 Carb...?

I'm VERY confused about which oil I should be using for my carb GTS, all I've read are totally conflicting views!

It will be used for fairly regular driving during the dry months (and pushed fairly hard) but not on a track. I understand the usage of the car makes a big difference in oil choice around oil temperature and resulting viscosity.

My default position was going to be to use fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra 5-40 on the basis of it lubricating sooner on a freshly started cold engine (i figured that as most of the wear is done when cold, this is the main advantage of using a 0-40 or 5-40 fully synth), however just found out that it has 20/50 semi in it, which I guess I'll match when topping up until I do an oil change.

But then still don't know what to use on the next oil change! Obviously biggest factor is protecting the engine, less concerned about cost.

Any opinions??

PS will post some pics of the new car over the next few days!

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
5-40 synthetic is an exellent all around oil and we use it in almost all the cars we service. One of those exceptions is the early cars with iron cylinders and yours is one of those. The iron cylinder motors did not have as good a piston and ring design and they tend to burn more oil if synthetics are used. In those a 10-50 or 20-50 non synthetic would be a better choice.

The difference in viscosity is due to the difference in viscosity break down between synthetic and dinosaur oil.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Brian- Do you have a brand you prefer?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
5-40 synthetic is an exellent all around oil and we use it in almost all the cars we service. One of those exceptions is the early cars with iron cylinders and yours is one of those. The iron cylinder motors did not have as good a piston and ring design and they tend to burn more oil if synthetics are used. In those a 10-50 or 20-50 non synthetic would be a better choice.

The difference in viscosity is due to the difference in viscosity break down between synthetic and dinosaur oil.
Always interesting to learn about oils. Thanks a lot for your inputs, Brian!

My 308 had high compression pistons installed when overhauled a few clicks ago. It also got valve guides for unleaded petrol. Would I be fine with 5-40 fully synthetic? I couldn't give you any info regarding piston design. I just assume it is a better design since it is meant for higher performance.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
I use Redline 5-40 in my 328 and TR. The Lambo and Benz too for that matter and Redline 20/50 in the Harley.

When I use dinosaur oil it is usually Valvoline.

QV motors have much better cylinder sealing (ring/piston design) and synthetic oil is great in them. If you have a 2 valve motor it can't hurt to try synthetic. If is uses oil you can always change back.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I use Redline 5-40 in my 328 and TR. The Lambo and Benz too for that matter and Redline 20/50 in the Harley.

When I use dinosaur oil it is usually Valvoline.

QV motors have much better cylinder sealing (ring/piston design) and synthetic oil is great in them. If you have a 2 valve motor it can't hurt to try synthetic. If is uses oil you can always change back.
I don't remember what oil I use. I must ask the guy who overhauled the engine and installed the high compression pistons.

Salve,
Capo

post #7 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
I don't remember what oil I use. I must ask the guy who overhauled the engine and installed the high compression pistons.
Capo to the best of my recollection we used 5W40 fully synthetic. Alex, who did not rebuild the motor but did all subsequent servicing should know. Oil consumption was on the button and there were a few spots under the car which I was told was normal given that we used synthetic as opposed to mineral oil.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #8 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Capo to the best of my recollection we used 5W40 fully synthetic. Alex, who did not rebuild the motor but did all subsequent servicing should know. Oil consumption was on the button and there were a few spots under the car which I was told was normal given that we used synthetic as opposed to mineral oil.
Excellent, thanks!

Oil consumption is for sure perfect and the engine is very well tuned in. It has been standing in the garage since I drove it home from Holland but every now and then I start it and run it warm. It fires up immediately every time!

It's been cleared at customs finally but unfortunately I haven't had the time to do the homologations yet. My schedule has been choked from Xmas and will be choked till the end of summer. Come autumn and it will be done. I have found ways to deal with the homologations system here...

Salve,
Capo

post #9 of 12 Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Excellent news on the homologation, Capo! I can relate, it has been quite a story to get the bluebird registered here, the only 550 Maranello registered in Slovakia I suspect. I look forward to hearing about your adventures in the fantastic little Michelotto Tributo!

If you check in the rear trunk, I am sure that you will find a bottle of oil there. All my cars have a fitted fire extinguisher and bottle of oil for top ups on the road. That will tell you what oil she enjoys.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #10 of 12 Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Excellent news on the homologation, Capo! I can relate, it has been quite a story to get the bluebird registered here, the only 550 Maranello registered in Slovakia I suspect. I look forward to hearing about your adventures in the fantastic little Michelotto Tributo!

If you check in the rear trunk, I am sure that you will find a bottle of oil there. All my cars have a fitted fire extinguisher and bottle of oil for top ups on the road. That will tell you what oil she enjoys.
I used that oil but will buy fully synthetic 5-40.

Salve,
Capo

post #11 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
I have been using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for a number of years. It's the closest formulation to what Ferrari originally called for (10W-50), but the starting friction is lower. And of course it's synthetic which is just better.

308/Mondial Service Procedure Tutorials at: Birdman Ferrari
post #12 of 12 Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 54
>Hallo,

5W40 or 10W50 ...
no ;-)

Better use 20W50 Quaker State from Wall Mart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-Sta...Quart/14958696

for all older italo engines this great oil with its higher ZDDP is right!

Alfisti also use this type of oil in any Alfa Montreal or Giulia!
Your engine will run more silently compared to the ultra thin synthetic "water like" oil!

Use this Quaker State, its very close to the old Dino 246GT approved Olio Fiat / Shell 20W50
Ferrari recommended in the 1970 and 80s....

You get a great oil pressure and you do not drive your Ferrari during frost period so a 20W50 is
absolutly enough.

In Germany we only use normal good quality mineral Oil in older engines,
the modern synthetic oils are too detergent and can do harm the old rubber oil seals and gaskets of old 1970s
and 1980s engines....today engines have synthetic rubber seals, the older engines not.

The old Ferrari as well as most Alfa and Fiat DOHC engines do not like thin 0W, 5W or 10W synthetic oils,
you do more harm to engines than help with such a modern thin oil.
Better change oil any 10.000 KM or earlier, and dont forget the right Ferrari approved "UFI", "Fiaam" or "Fram" Oil Filter
with tube inside.

Best regards

Last edited by Yorck; 05-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode