100k mile 308, opinions? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
100k mile 308, opinions?

Am i crazy buying a 100k mile 308? There aren't many B's around, let alone carb...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...o-clear/984206

It seems that there are hundreds of 911's around with >100k miles and no-one cares, but a 100k mile Ferrari and everyone runs a mile. Any reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Probably because 15k Ferraris can be total basket cases, so people assume a 100k Ferrari is completely hopeless.

It also seems that many that buy a Ferrari are factoring in resale price and difficulty as part of the plan. All things combined make it a difficult sale.

OR, as Killer58 said in a different thread, many like the idea of having a Ferrari that is in "like new" condition", as opposed to used condition.

If your plan to drive like hell, enjoy the car and not fret over ever quid, check it out, make sure it's clean and honest, enjoy the savings and drive, drive, drive.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
My 330GTC has done roughly 100k miles. It is still better than it came out of the factory.

It all depends on the individual car and how it was maintained. 100k miles isn't all that much for a car that's over 30 years old.

One thing that I will say is that IMHO the 308 is now moving into a different league of buyers, people who buy one to get a 308 not to get a first Ferrari. The 308 is getting too old to impress young ladies so people that don't buy it for themselves are moving to cheap F355's and even 360's. This is why fibreglass cars are now increasing in value so much - people that buy them are often people that also have a Dino. And the steel cars are slowly following. The good side of this is that 308's are getting better in quality, the downside is that they are moving out of some people's price range.

BTW - the ad has disappeared.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
If you check the service record of a high mileage car you are likely to find that bushings, shocks, brakes, bearings, steering, etc have had to be looked after as that comes with regular driving. A queen with low mileage will likely set you back on all of these points. You cannot enjoy the car until it is sorted.

Let alone drive train gaskets and hoses...

If you're on a budget you want a working, sorted car which only needs to be taken apart when a mechanical part has reached it's life expectancy, rather than a queen which WILL need a bumper to bumper refreshment ($) before you start enjoying it.

If you've found YOUR car and it happens to be a queen, you'll likely accept such refreshment out of sheer happiness of finding the car.

My Dino was a queen and after a full bumper to bumper refreshment it still needed two additional heavy road trials with due shop stops before working flawlessly. The seller forbad me to do a full resto since the car was in perfect running order. It had just been queened but it wasn't run down.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
As long as the condition checks out as positive, the mileage would not bother me.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
I think that we're getting to the point where actual mileage is inconsequential. My 1978 had 19K (Reasonably documented) miles when I bought it, and things still need to be replaced. A car that has been driven is a car that has been serviced, sorted, and enjoyed. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate to seriously consider a 100K mile car.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM
cgt
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 143
Scott and I regularly see a mutual friend whose carb 308 shows 30k miles, I asked him about it a few weeks in fact. It has been round the clock once so in fact is 130k. The car runs perfectly and he loves it. When I sold my 308 I made the buyer very clear that I could not confirm the indicated mileage. It did not bother him one bit, he bought on condition and the way it was running. As stated above, mileage is almost irrelevant if a car is maintained well.

Also clocked up 144k miles in my air cooled 911 today on a final drive before it goes to a new home!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
I've got more than a few high mileage cars that I maintain on a regular basis. As long as maintenance is kept up to date, fluids changed on a regular basis and not too many parts are falling off, I really don't see any problems with a purchase. In the same breath, many of the low mileage virgins need many, many thousands of repairs before their safe to be driven.

Time or miles->They all still need TLC...

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode