F355 Please Help, F car driving weird! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 979
Please Help, F car driving weird!

So this morning I drove my F355 to work, and a few dash lights came on, first the "check engine light 5-8". Stayed on for a mile or so, and then the

"slow down 5-8" light came on. Car drove very weird, didn't sound as good, throttle response seems lacking, and seems very short on power, and when when trying to accelerate just doesn't seem to have the power.

Have done a search and some have said it may be a faulty catalytic converter or ECU module? But before I bought the F355 they provided service records from March 2012, showing they replaced all the catalytic converters because it had the Same issue,

Can the cats already be faulty? Any suggestions?

I have. Muffler shop here that I trust, And they do cats and whatnot, would this be something they can look at? I live 300 miles from a Ferrari dealer.

Any help appreciated....so depressed because was hoping it'd be longer before any issues arise...

Maserati GranTurismo MC - Giallo yellow
Porsche 911 GT3 RS - black with orange accents - wife's car
F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Many times, the catalytics are the victim and not the cause. I suspect you either have an ignition problem, setting of the CEL, causing misfires and then the overheating cat and slowdown, then the fuel pump shutting down on that bank...or the cat temp box is on the fritz and has caused the fuel pump to shut down due to a false alarm of catalytic over temp.

From what I have seen, a faulty Cat temp ecu won't kick the CEL, just the slow down light and resulting complications.

post #3 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Josh for the quick reply.

Forgot to mention the check engine light went off after a mile or so, and never came back on, but the "slow down 5-8" light came on and off several times. The last 1-2 miles no lights came on but car still drove badly.

I guess this is something I need to take to a Ferrari dealer or a Ferrari independent mechanic? Wish I knew one close by.

F355 Berlinetta - Giallo Modena, 6-speed manual, carbon sport seats -recently traded in
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

post #4 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Master Mechanic

You at least need someone comfortable around a Ferrari to even get a basic idea of what's taking place. There are a couple initial check that can be made, checking the ECU for fault codes, check the fuel pressure on the suspect bank, checking the ignition wires for spark on cylinders 5-8, swapping the cat temp ecu's from bank to bank...

How far are you from Austin? I have a colleague with a shop there, might be able to help you network?

post #5 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

I'm about 6 hours from Austin. I'm in Lubbock area.

Would your colleague be able to help if I ship the car to him to take a look?

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #6 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
... swapping the cat temp ecu's from bank to bank...
Start here.

It takes <5 minutes to swap the Cat ECUs. If it is an ECU on the fritz, the CEL and SD lights will "move" from your 5-8 bank to the 1-4 bank. If that's the case, then you need a new Cat ECU. You should be able to find a posting where someone describes the ECU swap procedure - either here or Fchat.

In addition, do a search for how to check and clear your OBD1 codes before the swap. I think I recently posted the code check procedure here, in fact. Would be very useful to know what codes were thrown.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that its the ECU. Quite common.
post #7 of 35 Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Master Mechanic

Mike, you can contact him directly and inquire: Joe @ ATX Autosport. I will reach to a friend that is from Texas, see if he knows of any viable shops in your area as well.

post #8 of 35 Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Start here.

It takes <5 minutes to swap the Cat ECUs. If it is an ECU on the fritz, the CEL and SD lights will "move" from your 5-8 bank to the 1-4 bank. If that's the case, then you need a new Cat ECU. You should be able to find a posting where someone describes the ECU swap procedure - either here or Fchat.

In addition, do a search for how to check and clear your OBD1 codes before the swap. I think I recently posted the code check procedure here, in fact. Would be very useful to know what codes were thrown.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that its the ECU. Quite common.
Thanks Rick for the reply I will look into it.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #9 of 35 Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Mike, you can contact him directly and inquire: Joe @ ATX Autosport. I will reach to a friend that is from Texas, see if he knows of any viable shops in your area as well.
Thanks Josh. If you can find someone close to me that will help tremendously. Not just for this issue but for future services too

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #10 of 35 Old 04-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 40
How is the Battery? My 308 did the same thing a few years back.The Car sat in the Garage for a couple of months,my Son and I took it out to run it since it sat so long.We were driving for about 30mins when the slowdown lights on 5-8 came on.to make a long story short I was told the battery was low and the Alt could not keep up the charge,I installed a trickle charger and Knock Wood I've never had that problem again.It seems F_cars run better with a full charge than a low one,just a thought.All the best Harry
post #11 of 35 Old 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi Harry

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked and the battery seems to be running fine.

I did speak to James Patterson at Norwood Performance in Dallas, and he thinks from what i told him, may be a few issues (bad spark plug, ECU module, wiring issues, or something worse).

Shipping car there on April 30th...it's a 5 hr drive and dont have time to haul it myself.

Please wish me luck that it's something simple and cheap to repair **cross fingers**

BTW, thanks for the Norwood referral. James has been super helpful and friendly on phone so far.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #12 of 35 Old 04-19-2013, 08:12 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
I hope that it is something as simple as spark plugs. I wonder if you can just try changing the spark plugs locally to see if it would solve the problem so that you don't have to ship it away.
post #13 of 35 Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Yeah I've thought of that. But James recommending taking a look, which I would have to agree. From what happened it may be a bit more than spark plugs....

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #14 of 35 Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Good luck Mike, I hope it is a quick fix.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #15 of 35 Old 04-20-2013, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
Good luck Mike, I hope it is a quick fix.
Hi Capo,

Thanks, me too. I'll find out May 1st or 2nd whats going on with the F355. i'll update here as soon as I know.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #16 of 35 Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
F355 Logistics

Since your mechanic is 5 hours away how much do you think it will cost to have it shipped? Are you going to have it shipped back? Flat bed or enclosed? Will you insureance cover any of the towing?

Sorry for your problems. Did you contact the dealer (not that he will care much) but he might be able to tell you some problems that maybe he didn't disclose?
post #17 of 35 Old 04-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
F355

Also having owned airplanes I know that sometimes looking back at the engine log can point towards possible problems. I assume they gave you all the service receipts?
post #18 of 35 Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

jSOW,

I did contact the dealer, and gave me the same BS response I expected
"we did all maintainence we could but we cannot foresee any future problems " blah blah blah

Before I got car, I did get all service records, even as recent as March 2012 where it had its major service at a F dealer in San Antonio

I am having it shipped...single enclosed truck for $800 one way. Seems pricey but I calculated it, if I towed it myself, rent a flat bed for my suburban, gas, hotel for one night, it would be around $400-450 anyways. Time I save I can spend with family or work a few extra shifts

To pick it up may fly to Dallas, and pick her up, and drive home. I have a lot of points on Southwest so have a few free tickets coming to me, and Norwood performance will pick me up from airport. It'll be a fun drive home though

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #19 of 35 Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

JSOW

forgot to mention, what gets me is not that I need to get my F355 fixed, but it's that during price negotiations to buy F car,the dealer wouldn't go down by $2-3k in price, because I felt I overpaid by that much

Their reasoni for not lowering their price is that the F355 is in such an immaculate condition that it's worth $2-3k more. I caved because it had everything I wanted (6-speed manual, yellow, carbon sport seats, fairly low miles, and all service records). To have issues pop up after 3 months of ownership is unacceptable.

He knew I'll be in market for more cars in near future (wife's 911 GT3 RS, hopefully a f430, etc) but you know I'm not going back to them now!

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
post #20 of 35 Old 04-21-2013, 09:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC355 View Post
JSOW

forgot to mention, what gets me is not that I need to get my F355 fixed, but it's that during price negotiations to buy F car,the dealer wouldn't go down by $2-3k in price, because I felt I overpaid by that much

Their reasoni for not lowering their price is that the F355 is in such an immaculate condition that it's worth $2-3k more. I caved because it had everything I wanted (6-speed manual, yellow, carbon sport seats, fairly low miles, and all service records). To have issues pop up after 3 months of ownership is unacceptable.

He knew I'll be in market for more cars in near future (wife's 911 GT3 RS, hopefully a f430, etc) but you know I'm not going back to them now!
Mike
That happens to all of us. It's probably happening to me as we speak and still I can't help myself. It's like moths to the flame.
Ernie.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode