308 Exhaust question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-28-2004, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
308 Exhaust question

Posting for a friend

"Last year I had to replace the exhaust system on it because it had loose baffles that drove me nuts. Since the original exhaust muffler was 3000$ I used a flow master muffler with dual in's and out's. The sound is ok, but the problem I have is that the Ferrari sounds like a [American] v8 now, and I really want it to have the Indy car v12 sound or maybe something like all the kids are using now days on rice burners. Can anyone suggest a good Resonator [or muffler/exhaust system] that might give me the sound Im looking for? I have seen many brands but dont want to buy 20 sets to find the one I like."

Pretty much wants the higher pitched Ferrari sound, but doesn't want to pay the Ferrari price if there is anything at all that could substitute, saving some $. Thanks guys,
-Chris
[/i]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-28-2004, 04:08 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,211
I know of a custom shop that builds exhausts for your needs, but I think it is very expensive...
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2004, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
That is another option...if someone could post any links or information to building a muffler that will give that sound, that is a possibility...

post #4 of 11 Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 457
speedingpenguin,

I think many Ferrari V-8 owners want the impossible, ie. a F1 V-12 sound from their V-8s and attempt to achieve this with various exhaust systems. I feel that the F1 sound is possible only with an F1. The sound has a lot to due with the exhaust systems those cars have and the higher compression and RPMs those cars are capable of.

Barry
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

You can improve the sound somewhat with the aftermarket systems available. A previous owner did just that with my 1976 308 GTB. He removed the OEM thermal reactor muffler and mounted a Euro ANSA system about 20 years ago. The current production ANSA mufflers are similar. I feel the ANSA muffler has that period look which goes along with my car. It sounds OK too. Not F1, but neither is my GTB.

Barry
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 79
exhaust

I have a quicksilver exhaust and the sound is wonderfull on my v8l
write to me I have photos of it and sounds
nico
post #7 of 11 Old 04-21-2004, 01:17 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
I have an original system on my 308 gt4 and the sound is good, this however will probably need replacing in the next year or so....

I have looked at a few systems ranging from about 700 (pounds) for a replica system, to about 1600 for a Tubi-Style sports exhaust. The Tubi is meant to be a very good system and I'm sure others here will confirm this. They are however quite a bit louder than stock, but this may be what you want.

I have yet to decide what type of system I will go for, not sure of cost of original.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2004, 01:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 476
Well this is hillarious. I'm an owner of a "ricer" (91 Toyota MR2 Turbo) and most of us are trying to get our cars to sound like a Ferrari! I've been researching 308s and come across a few items regarding exhaust.

First this is how a well running Ferrari 308 sounds:
http://www.ferrari308.com/sounds/gary_308qv_redline.wav

That sounds pretty AWSOME to me.

Seccond is: Tubi is much louder than stock but it will give you that high pitched scream you're looking for. Here is a 328 with dyno results with a Tubi and Stock comparison. It also has no cats with the Tubi. I'd really question the results. You'll see what I mean when you look at them. It also has video/audio for the dyno run with the Tubi installed.

http://ferrari.threefourfive.com/328/

If you want a general overview of exhaust:
http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/for...bsite1_004.htm

You can also try to buy a used stock exhaust from someone who's upgrading or just switching them out to find that perfect sound.

Also buy a "Drop in" K&N filter. It'll increase your HP and also sound better. Trust me on this. We've seen as much as a 10hp increase (rear wheel HP) for our cars. FIPKs get us more but not much. Since the 308s already have a cold air application the drop in should be the best solution.

I hope this helps.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-11-2004, 10:13 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Exhausts

Board sponsor DexM is now the official US importer for Larini exhausts. We can help you out (although we don't have a 308 system in stock at the moment). The systems are all stainless and have a lifetime warranty. They are also less expensive than other popular aftermarket exhausts for Ferrari's.

Contact me through my profile or the link at the top of the page to see if we can help.

Best regards,
Brent
DexM llc
post #10 of 11 Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Nice links senna, thanks :up:
post #11 of 11 Old 05-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna21
Well this is hillarious. I'm an owner of a "ricer" (91 Toyota MR2 Turbo) and most of us are trying to get our cars to sound like a Ferrari! I've been researching 308s and come across a few items regarding exhaust.

First this is how a well running Ferrari 308 sounds:
http://www.ferrari308.com/sounds/gary_308qv_redline.wav

That sounds pretty AWSOME to me.

Seccond is: Tubi is much louder than stock but it will give you that high pitched scream you're looking for. Here is a 328 with dyno results with a Tubi and Stock comparison. It also has no cats with the Tubi. I'd really question the results. You'll see what I mean when you look at them. It also has video/audio for the dyno run with the Tubi installed.

http://ferrari.threefourfive.com/328/

If you want a general overview of exhaust:
http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/for...bsite1_004.htm

You can also try to buy a used stock exhaust from someone who's upgrading or just switching them out to find that perfect sound.

Also buy a "Drop in" K&N filter. It'll increase your HP and also sound better. Trust me on this. We've seen as much as a 10hp increase (rear wheel HP) for our cars. FIPKs get us more but not much. Since the 308s already have a cold air application the drop in should be the best solution.

I hope this helps.
Senna,

That's what a 308 will sound like at high RPMs. Mine, with its ANSA, sounds like that. The Tubi is a bit louder, but you won't get that "high pitched scream" you mentioned. That's a product of 12 cylinders, high compression ratio, higher RPMs and F1 exhaust system. A 308 will never sound like a F1 race car.

If you're happy with the sound on that clip, you won't be disappointed with the 308 you plan on buying.

Barry

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode