Wheels for 308 GT4 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2004, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
Wheels for 308 GT4

I have just got some wheels for my gt4, they were on a 308 GTB and used only for track days, which is what I intend to do with them. The front are 167 inch and the rears are 168 inch. they have no tyres on and I was wondering what size to get (my guess would be 20555 and 22550 or something like that)?
There won't be any problems fitting these to a GT4 will there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 187
I have 16" on my '78 308 GTS. 7" front and 8" rear.
Tire sizes are 225/50-16 front
245/45-16 rear.
No rubbing.
DJ

SPASSO
308 V-12 Conversion click here.
"Oh yes, that is one of the very best ways to break these and it is also pretty dangerous. You really shouldn't do that". - mk e.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 749
Andy, someone else shoud be able to confirm fitting on the GT4, but my thoughts would be these:

1. Measure clearances currently available on inside (to suspension bits) and outside (to guards) of existing tyre/rim setup;
2. Calculate rolling diameter of existing tyres, based on nominal size / aspect ratio / rim diam;
3. Decide if you want to increase or decrease overall diameter of new tyres for gearing purposes, esp as using on the track;
4. Depending on 3. above, the clearances avalable to existing bodywork, etc may need to be adjusted;
5. Compare wheel offsets of all existing and new wheels. Any offset increase will push new tyre outwards and reduce outer clearance avalable and increase inner clearance available (for same tyre width);
6. Calculate widest tyre section able to be fitted at each end by adding avalable inner & outer clearances to existing tyre width, less running clearance (say 1" all round?);
7. You have now determined the max tyre section width that can be fitted at each end. Working backwards from the overall diameter required (point 3), determine the tyre aspect ratio (eg 55%) that gives this diameter on those rims;
8. Now check the rim-width / tyre-width relationship. Are the tyres too wide/narrow for the rims? Ideally the rims should be the max recommended for the tyres, not vice-versa, as this will give best sidewall stiffness and steering response. Check the tyre specifications of your calculated sizes from a couple of manufacturers, looking for what rim widths are recommended. Hopefully you will be higher end.
9. Bear in mind that higher/wider tyres will have greater unsprung weight and rotational inertia, neither of which are very desirable.
(Sorry about the ramble )

post #4 of 5 Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 55
Just had an e-mail, from the guy who sold me the wheels. He was running 205x50 on front and 225x50 on rear (on his 308GTB).

I was thinking of getting some Perelli P6000. Any thoughts on tyre choice??
post #5 of 5 Old 03-15-2004, 01:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 770
Pirelli P Zero's

I've always found them to be excellent. Put the Asymetrics on all four though if you're going to be using them for track days.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode