bought a used tubi for the 355 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-10-2004, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
bought a used tubi for the 355

I found a used Tubi for the 355. Anyone know if this is a tough install? Can it be done with floor jacks or do I have to get this thing up on a lift? Also is it going to be too loud now? I really like the sound of the stock exhuast so I am excited to hear something thats better than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Hi Speedy Pete: I don't know about the 355 exhaust swap, but I know on my TR it's not that big a deal. I think any of the mid-engine Ferrari exhaust systems are fairly easy to remove and install. I have removed my exhaust twice for various reasons, simply jacking the car up and using stands. You should be able to re-use the doughnuts if your careful too. Just take your time and you'll probably be fine. You may want a helper around if it's too heavy, my TR's system is probably 100+ pounds or so complete. Also be careful about scratching or chipping any painted surfaces around the exhaust tips, use rags and common sense. I'm sure somebody else can chime in here with 355 experience.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
I haven't had the opportunity to work on a 355 (yet). But I will tell you this - I won't even think about working on an exhaust unless I have a set of torches handy for heating stuff up. The heat of the exhaust burns away all oils and coatings and the rust just sets right in and seizes everything up. A little heat applied to the nuts and it will come apart very easy.

With my experience on the 308 I don't think you would have any problems just using jackstands to change the exhaust. A second person would be helpful.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2004, 06:26 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 383
how much (if any) is the increase in horsepower when you slap the tubi on? Is there a noticeble difference in performance?
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2004, 02:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,684
Re: bought a used tubi for the 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy pete
I found a used Tubi for the 355. Anyone know if this is a tough install? Can it be done with floor jacks or do I have to get this thing up on a lift? Also is it going to be too loud now? I really like the sound of the stock exhuast so I am excited to hear something thats better than that.
To install the Tubi, you have to remove the rear bumber. That's the tricky part. There are 3 sections of the exhaust (not including the header). The Cat section, the muffler and the tail pipe. Since the tail-pipe exit through the hole in the rear bumper and the tail-pipe section is bent, you'll have difficulty fixing the tail-pipe without removing the rear bumper.

Be careful, you may damage the paintwork on the bumper and it'll cost you even more than going to the garage and have them install it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode