GT4 308GT4 memories Pt 2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
308GT4 memories Pt 2

White line fever
The weekend was just around the corner and I was looking for an excuse to take the Red beast for another run. God, any reason to get back behind the wheel of the Red Car for another fix. So I mentioned to my brother and Rob, that I thought we should go down to Rotorua for the day and hit the Luge. The luge is a downhill go-cart track that one gets to the top of by way of gondolas initially, and then ski lift chairs after that. Rotorua is normally about a 3 hour drive from Auckland, it’s around 125 miles or 240kms roughly over a mixture of class 2 and 3 roads by US standards, except for the first 40kms which is by “motor way” NZ style. So early-ish on Saturday morning my brother and Rob, the pilot, got into the car. Rob is 6’3” and by no means a bean pole, but he managed to cram himself in to the back seat, and thought he would be comfortable enough for the journey, so off we went. The first part of the trip was uneventful, to the end of the motorway. I just let the car warm up, engine, box, tyres, with the V8 burbling down the flat, straight blacktop. The words of the previous owner in the back of my mind “let everything get nice and warm and then go for gold if you want”. Shortly after we had turned onto Highway 27 we found our first corners. My brother hadn’t been in the car at this stage probably for a couple of reasons, one, he was a little bit jealous and competitive (financially) and two he had already been scared- shitless in far lesser cars and motorbikes of mine. Anyway finding the first bendy bit, I changed down from 5th to 4th , that straight shot is a damn fine thing, and makes for a pretty quick, or it was back then down change, and then knocked it down to third and nailed it. Hard. As any young, testosterone filled, male car lover would after being urged on by the growl, the suck, the scream and finally the wail of that insane piece of Italian engineering mounted a couple of feet from our ears, all the way to 7700 and then grabbing the next gear all the way to the redline. We’d just rocketed past a handful of cars in a few seconds. Oh that felt good. I looked over at my brother’s face and saw him gulp and go a little bit pale. I said, “so what do ya think, it’s pretty quick don’t ya think?” Our company issued work cars back in those days were 1300 cc Toyota Corolla station wagons, 0-60 by lunchtime. He just stammered, “yes” keeping his eyes straight ahead no doubt to encourage me to return my gaze back to the road ahead. For the next one hour and forty five minutes I played with the car, sometimes cruising at the speed limit, sometimes nudging an indicated 145mph , when trying a “see how fast she’ll go” run on a very straight flat section of road across the dairying land of Hauraki Plains.
I distinctly remember how much bumpier the road became north of 120mph. What, at normal speeds was a very flat and smooth road changed quite drastically at the upper quadrant of the Ferrari speed gauge. After 140, the nose definitely got much lighter and it took a fair amount of concentration to keep the car nicely centered in the middle of the road. I had had the car fully serviced and checked over just prior to and obviously after the inferno, had fitted brand new Michelins and wasn’t concerned with any mechanical mishaps, so it was a fairly relaxing and enlightening speed run. I remember we were quite glad to get to luge mountain. That engine howl and cramped back seat had Rob grateful for the reprieve, my brother no doubt cause we’d made it and also because the engine music, it does make for less than comfortable cruising and me because the pressure was off. I got to have a break. I’d had a good bit of luck with the cops too. I didn’t have a radar detector in the machine, can’t really remember why as they aren’t illegal in N.Z but didn’t own one all the same. I just relied on a mixture of, eyes, instinct, experience and luck. I’d pulled back on the throttle twice on the way down in time to stop a “loss of license” event. It’s not like you really need any more buttons pushed when on an adrenaline run, but getting back down to the limit just in time to miss another stop and pay interlude, just purely on instinct adds to the buzz. Surely.

What is it about these cars that make them crawl inside you? Why they are such a magnet? Everywhere you go people stop, stare, gawk, talk. Eyes widen, nostrils flare, the physiological response is dramatic for watchers and the watched. And then after owning one even for a short while the bond that grows is nothing short of a spiritual experience. And trust me I have had a few of those. Always been kind of been interested in the wider picture that life offers. Black sheep would be many a person’s perception for sure. But not being one to be too preoccupied with the masses ideas of what is acceptable or not. I have pushed the envelope here and there a bit, in any way that has interested or enticed me. And that’s what a Ferrari is, it is an experience, short and simple. Interesting and enticing, for sure. It’s not a thing, it is an experience. Period.

I have done a power of shit in my life, from hang-gliding, to bikes, to shooting big rifles, to meditating in the jungles of Thailand with Buddhist monks, walked 270 Kms around the Annapurna circuit in Nepal over 17,770 ft pass, groveled around Africa and India on top of busses, trains, 4x4 roof racks, clinging to vertical rock faces chasing the Himalayan Tahr around the N.Z Alps, all sorts on the list really. And this I can tell you for free; owning and driving a Ferrari is near the top of the heap in terms of life “experiences”. You know, sometimes you can just pick up the keys and just go and stand and stare. Heart beating, anticipating the smell inside when the Agip comes “on heat”, knowing that the only thing now in the way of another outrageous experience is getting, turning the key and putting your right foot down. And sometimes, the anticipation is too much. You just walk back inside, put the keys down and chill.

"The Luge" in Rotorua is one hell of a lot of fun. The luge cart itself is a three wheeled buggy that one sits and blasts down a mountain on. It has a simple “T” handle arrangement that one steers and brakes with, by simply pulling back to allow a friction pad to contact the tar seal. From memory they allow a surprising turn of speed and a barrel full of adrenalin if you have the monkeys to keep from pulling back on the stick. Anyway after we had had our fill on the hill it was time to crawl back into the Red Car and head back to Auckland.

The first section road after leaving Rotorua is a fairly windy and narrow, or it was back then. I warmed the car back up and started to explore a little more with driving a rear- mid engine car. I hadn’t had the car that long at this stage, I am picking around 4 weeks or so. The previous owner and a friend had mentioned that to stay on top of things that it was really important to keep the weight on the rear wheels and that the best way to do this was to stay on the throttle, especially is things started to get loose in the tail. They explained the basic physics and it all made sense so I had a decent play with this on one of the better stretches of road the North Island has to offer. I Played with the throttle a bit, seeing how the weight transfer would affect the cars attitude, the tight windy road perfect for such experimentation and exploration. After that it was back on to the long flat straights of the Hauraki Plains before hitting a small range, whose name escapes me, now. It was just before this range that there is a long straight at the end of which was a long sweeping right hander, that back then was devoid of any shrubs so you see clear all the way around it and well in to the future. Just before this corner was a straight , which I was dawdling along on, when another young guy in a tweaked twin cam Toyota 1.6 hatch raced past and then braked to pull in front of me. He then started to slowly increase his speed till he decided to drop down a gear and then accelerate. Seemed like a fair deal to me, so I did the same, shortly thereafter, giving him a head start to ensure there was a little more fun. I dropped back to 3rd and let the Banshee out of the cage, again. I was just catching up with him as he entered the corner, he on the correct left hand side of the road and me on the right hand side. He was probably at around 100 mph by the time I caught up and his car was starting to do its lean thing that normal cars do as the suspension loads up. I was accelerating into the corner at around 125mph and knew I still had a fair margin of safety traction-wise up my sleeve so simply I over took him on the inside. Insulting really, my brother added to it by giving him a little wave as we shot past him. Of course he loved the fact the he’d managed to entice us into performing for him like a trained seal, we were happy to once again oblige with that wailing chunk of alloy and steel located behind us.

After another spirited drive over the small “name escapes me” range we were back on the flat plains just before the good bit started again. I had given the car a good run all day and was feeling really good, awake and focused. My bio-rhythms were on the money. All was as good as it could be. It was just then I pulled up quite hard behind a guy on a sports bike of some sort. He was dressed from head to foot in black leathers, black lid, gloves the works. I saw him cock his head to look into his mirror to see the shark nosed beast. He then crouched down, exited 2 puffs of smoke as he hit it hard. All the way to 135mph. Given where I was I followed suite. Down two and punched it to the floor. When he let rip he was close, about 20 feet so when I answered the challenge. I stayed with him. He crouched lower and screwed his right wrist harder. Very, very obviously. I kept my foot flat, taking the GT4 again to the redline in third, then fourth and slammed it into 5th. I remember clearly glancing down at the speedo and saw that we were going into the first sweeper at 130mph. My new buddy in black on two wheels had slung himself off the seat and had his knee scraping the tarmac. This guy seems to know what he is doing. Once again that day the Ferrari was screaming its living guts out. Going into that first corner I was as focused as I have ever been, my brother had braced himself, his left hand pushing up on the top edge of the windscreen and his right pushing hard against the dash. Rob, in the meantime had fallen asleep curled up in the +2 of the back seat, oblivious to all that was about to unfold.

After making it through that first sweeper we came up on a small group of cars travelling at around 60mph, the speed limit. Madmax and I however were travelling at over double that. He just stayed on the throttle and so did I. We had plenty of visibility and just blew past them in a flurry of black and red and howling Italian madness. Both with the throttle wide open, redlining, focusing. Every corner that Madmax approached was carefully set up, he had his butt slung off the appropriate side, knee just off the black top, every straightaway he was hunkered low behind the faring. Wrist wrung round. After about three or four minutes or so of this madness I lost myself. The ONLY things in my world were the steering wheel, the throttle, the brakes, the clutch and the gear stick of that machine and the tail light of the one in front of me. I was gone. The dotted white line in the middle of the road became a single strip. Everything became automatic. I didn’t have to think to do anything. The gear changes, the steering input, the braking. All became perfect. I hadn’t driven to this level of focuss in my entire life. We were never under 100mph and mostly hovering around the 120-130 mark, overtaking tens and tens of cars. Catapulting past them like they were standing still. Mile after mile we drove as fast as both our respective machines would allow. There was the sreaming howl of the engine, the clack clack of the gear gates, the heady Agip filled cabin and focused adrenalin aplenty. It was OTT in anyones language….
The whole time I was 15 to 20 feet from the back of that 2 wheeled slingshot. As try as I might I couldn’t get closer, and as try as he may he couldn’t get further away. After about 5 minutes of this insanity, my brother, who to this point had been silent yelled out “Rob wake up, you gotta see this to believe it”. I just hunkered down and stayed in my world of white-line fever.

We had just been going through a section of straights and big open sweepers still overtaking car after car and were approaching another. I glanced down to the speedo to see where we were at and the entry speed was just over 120mph. It was a slight uphill right hander, I was still on Max’s tail, the Ferrari was still screaming a bit below the red line, my brother still had his hands in exactly the same place he’d had them for the past 15 minutes and Rob was still asleep. Max was slung off the seat and had himself nicely set up for the corner when for some inexplicable reason mid corner he sharply buttoned off and braked. I had no choice but to do the same otherwise it was going to be collection time. As I buttoned off, the expected happened, not that I was expecting it, but it happened. The back end came loose, not super quickly but fast enough that it couldn’t be dealt with conscious mind. I automatically applied opposite, caught it, at which point Max decided to get back on it, thank God and so could I. The Red car came smoothly back into line and we were off again. At which point I turned to look at my brother and he was just staring straight ahead, slowly shaking his head. Didn’t say a word. Not a firkin utterance. And I, well I had Max to stay with. Back into it…. 130, 135 again and again. For the next 5 minutes or so, still screaming past the “other travellers”, until I guess we were done and also getting pretty close to the start of the expressway and our Buddies in Blue. So Max buttoned off and so did I. I was quite happy to be back in the land of sanity and I let out a sigh and chelaxed into my seat. Phew, slowly returning back into the land of normality. Pulse dropping. Bp same.

Max slowly pulled to the left side of the road and waved me on, an invite for me to pass, to which I obliged. Having got past him, I sat on 60mph, more than happy to cruise. I saw Max in my rear view mirror, slowly accellerate till he was about ten feet or so from my bumper. Hmm, so Max wants to know whats Red, has four wheels, and keeps up with a GSXR 750 when taken to the limit. Having satisfied his curiosity, Max then accellerated next to my window and looked over to me and gave me a thumbs up and a very acknowledging nod. He then buttoned off and dropped back behind me. We both cruised back to the start of the motorway and normal life. Without a doubt the craziest, perhaps luckiest 20 minutes of my life.

Last edited by sirrocco; 01-17-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

In over a week,
not a Bo Peep,
Can you hear,
The Silence of the Lambs ?

Last edited by sirrocco; 01-25-2012 at 08:31 AM.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Sirrocco,
A fine write up, very eloquently put. I can concur with your thoughts on the GT4 going light at the front end at 120mph +. I was quite surprised at how light mine felt recently at that kind of speed. So much so that I would not have the bravery to put it into a corner at 130!

The Rotorua luge sounds like fun. It's a pity I didn't know about it when I visited there some years ago.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Nicely written. No where to do that sort of thing around here really. Unless you travel out west.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #5 of 16 Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Barry and Barcheta.
Well as you know it has been a while since the GT4 was around but I remember that suspension set up can have quite a profound effect on how a car behaves at higher speeds. No doubt there are some current GT4 owners that could advise as to how theirs behave at the upper end speeds.
There is no way in living hell that I would go anywhere near that kind of madness these days, 25 years down the track. So much has changed. There are another 600,000 people living in Auckland Hamilton area, there are 3 times as many police on that road these days, and then there are the hoards of "cell phone police" only to ready to report drivers even barely breaking posted limits let alone what we got up to that day. Mind you the cell police would need to have impossibly good eyes to pick up a number plate at the overtaking speeds we were hovering at.

The Cell Phone Police
Heres an amusing story regarding the "cell phone police" that happened quite a few years later. I was then driving an Alfa 75 TS that I had had tricked out suspension wise and was driving down to Wellington, about 650kms south, the bottom of the North Island. Anway, I had picked up a hitchhiker and generally had been driving in a spirited fashion but nothing silly, maybe 130kms overtaking on the long open stretches, but mostly hovering around the speed limit. Anyway about 2 weeks after the journey, I got a message from my housemate that a cop from down country, Taihape, wanted to speak to me and that I should ring him back on the number left. Hmm, there was only one thing that a cop down there would want to speak to me about. So after a little cogitation I rang back, my escape route planned. He answered the phone.
"Yes hello this is Officer Blogs, thanks for ringing me back. On or around the blah blah of May were you driving on SH1 south of Taihape?"
"I could well have been in that area around then as I drove to Wellington"
" Well I have received a report that you were driving dangerously/ at excessive speed down the the long straight south of blah blah overtaking a silver blah blah".
(Complete BS, The straight was 2ks long downhill and one could till the end of time down it, not possible to be dangerous overtaking there. But cops as we know often try to inflame to get a reaction and or a stupid response they can work on.)
"Well officer that is probably true but I cannot help you with your enquiry". "Why is that?"
" Well officer I was asleep".
" What do you mean. How could you be asleep?"
"Well officer I picked up a young hitchhiker just south of Hamilton and by the time I got to Taupo I was too tired to drive so I asked the hitcher to drive. I was asleep in the passenger seat".
The cop then asked me what the hitcher looked like. So I described myself exactly. For obvious reasons. The cop then said. Wait right there I will ring you back in 5 minutes. No doubt to ring back the complainant to verify the description, which of course matched perfectly. He rang back, a very circumspect and suspicious tone in his voice, knowing he was toast. He then asked me the hitchers name and I told him that it was Dave and he is a second year architecture student at Auckland University. All true. He told me to never again allow a hitchhiker to drive my car again. It never ceases to amaze me how many meglamaniacal f'ken idiots there are out there that wear uniforms that have to make up their own' new laws to give them a more profound and far reaching sense of power of what they think is right. I have had US CBP officers on the Montana Canada border do things that are so far beyond contaminated they should be put in a cage themselves. Fortunately no one escapes cause and effect...Contrary to what they may think.

Speed Saves
Here's another driving related yarn that is also a bit past the "edges of normal everyday living", that some may find entertaining. Once again in the Bilsteined, nolathaned, stiffer springed, bigger anti roll barred, 45 series tyred, Alfa 75 TS. Once again driving on a secondary NZ road, this time between Hastings and Ekatahuna. I saw a couple of mid 20's NZ natives standing on the side of the road with their brown thumbs out looking for a lift. Now I am not a racist by any stretch of the imagination and used to always pick up anyone looking for a ride, irrespective of colour. Both of these guys had tats, lots of, black leather jackets and looked pretty unkempt so I kept on driving. Then a little voice in the back of my head suggested that I might be being a little judgemental in my not stopping as I normally would, so I hooked a U'ey and pulled over asking these 2 roughies where they were going." Palmerston bro" they replied. "Okay" I said get in, rueing the decision to stop, after the closer inspection. Ah well what is done is done, we will see if my intial instincts were right.

Now the Alfa was by no means a peach but it was red, it did have a good looking set of wheels, and I had put a new saffron coloured, leather recaro interior in it, so by rural NZ standards it did look a little fancy, I guess. This was perhaps why the the tattoed and unwashed ones now sharing my car, one in the passenger seat and the other in the back seat, were looking around inside the car quite obviously, checkin it out. We took off and I asked them why they were heading to Palmerston North and one of them told me they were going there to sell a small carpet they had with them. They aparently had heard there was an old man there that would buy old rugs. Great, so now I am helping these two thugs sell what was undoubtedly a stolen antique prayer rug. After a surprisingly short period of time after the intinial "hello, whats doing guys" intro, the native in the back seat started to comment on my vehicle and how nice it was. "Geez bro, dees is a pretty flash car, bro". To which I repied I guess so. Now unless you have heard a rough NZ native speak it is impossible for me to convey the inflection that enters their speech when they are curious about some thing they want, but their voice takes on a tone that clearly indicates that they are plotting something untoward. Similar to what you get on the big screen in the scraggly bits of the US of A.

His next move was to suppose in a very open manner that I must have quite a lot of money. "Geez bro, you must have quite a lot of money eh bro if you own a flash car like dis?" To which I said I didn't think so but that I was just a normal nice guy that was nice enough to pick them up and to give them a lift in my nice car. The vibe in the car at this point was not good at all and I could tell these guys were plotting as to how they were going to deal to me. It is the only time in my life that I knew I was in iminent danger of being mugged. After digesting this realisation, I quickly thought there was only one option for me to save my skin and that of course was to drive like a possessed madman. So down to 3 rd and to the redline. I can't remember now where this started geographically but I remember it was around a 40 minute balls out foot to the floor drive. Now a tricked Alfa 75 is a surprisingly well balanced, "fast around corners" sort of sedan and also extremely forgiving. Dialling into proper corners at 160- 200 kms, suspension loaded up, is not too much of a drama if you are behind the wheel, but as a passenger on a fairly narrow road it's going to get your attention pretty quickly. Especially if you are used to floppy, 30 year old, rusting jalopies, as these two were no doubt were. I drove like I had nothing to loose. Didn't really. I figured that if a cop was to catch me that would be a good thing as I decided I had a perfect defense for such madness, and he could arrest the two would be thugs. I knew there was no hope in hell that these sooties were going to try and take me out with us cornering at an average of 170kms/hour. They hadn't said a word for the whole time I was nailing it. Their focus had unquestionably moved from my perceived wealth and how they were going to get their hands on some of it, to them living out the remainder of the day. Excellent.

When we arrived at Ekatahuna, the small town where our routes diverged I abruptly pulled over -and looked over at the guy in the passenger seat and said in a dominant manner " there you go guys, good luck with selling your rug, I'll see ya round". I clearly remember the incredibly loud clinking, chinking sounds of red hot hot stainless exhaust, accompanied by the overwhelming smell of roasted engine oil and well cooked rubber. Damn that worked just fine. They booth got out of the car quite meekly really, no huff n puff there anymore, looking somewhat paler than when they got in.

So with a sense of relief I pulled way from the kerb and left those 2 unfortunates to peddle their rug, cruised my way to Wellington, knowing fully that being able to drive a car faster than the average joe had saved me from some grief.

Cheers for now

Last edited by sirrocco; 01-25-2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the interesting and provactive comments. All the sharing of others zany exeriences. I guess owning a Ferrari is all about turning nutz and getting ones fingers a little dirty from used engine oil because of an ill sealing gasket.

Ferrarilife??

Perhaps this website should be called "Ferrari Mods ands Maintenance for the Politically Correct".

We all die from something sooner or later. 45,000 Americans die every year on the roads, over 200,000 die from medical misadventure of one sort or another. Some die from bum rust, some die from engine seizures, some from burst hoses or blocked radiators. But we all die. Rich or poor, intelligent or as thick as a knob of goat shit. We all gasp a last breath. That is a fact.

If you own a Ferrari and dont give it the beans hard somewhere, sometime then sell the damn thing, cos your just a wealthy poser. Like being married to Cindy Crawford and choosing to be celibate.

Life is about living, not making yer car a bit prettier....

Thats fer sure.

Last edited by sirrocco; 01-31-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: needed to be done
post #7 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Any pictures of your gt4?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
sirrocco- No comment.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

You ask for pics for what reason? I cant think of a reasonable one, given what has been proffered. If you want a pic of a red 308 gt4 there are plenty on the net to be found on the net in google images...

Having spent too much of my life in the us of A, I suspect the motive for your question is what I have learnt to expect from many of the 300+ million that reside in the land of the Brave and the Free. Not really interested in providing anything on that basis. Way past trying too appease twisted, jealous, suspicious, envious, black hearted, or any combination of the above, people whos widely accepted creed for life is "He who dies with the most toys wins".

There is a little more to the riddle of life than that American threshhold of "success".
Unfortunately.

I have found the best response is to just keep on walking without turning back.

However...
I am currently at a convention in the USA and will be around for 2 weeks more. I have been very busy for the past 10 days.

All my photos are in Italy and I won't be back there for 3 months or so when the sun comes out again, additionally I have too much going on in my life to find the time to scan and post them, even if I were to remember after I get back.

Just to appease a disbelieving stranger.

tazandjan-" No Comment, sirrocco",
is that a question or a statement?
If its a question see above.

if its a statement- fine, no probs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how vociferous.

Cheers

Last edited by sirrocco; 02-03-2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: cabernet sauvignon
post #10 of 16 Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Sirocco
I believe you have misinterpreted the request and the rationale for it. I don't think the response was warranted. Which is not to say we don't promote a free speach policy here - if that is how you feel then you have a right to state it.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #11 of 16 Old 02-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
sirocco- Someone once told me, if you do not have something nice to say, do not say anything. Works for me. Enjoy your stay here.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
sirocco- Someone once told me, if you do not have something nice to say, do not say anything. Works for me. Enjoy your stay here.

Amen.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Hey Taz,
Well that gem of wisdom is why big chunks of the world are now in deep deep shit. It is for this lack of criticism that many people, govenrnments, groups loose their way in either significant or not so significant ways.

Heres a silly example of how refusing to say anything nice can have a negative effect on someone. Many years ago remember seeing some pics of the hot actresses, in their designer dresses at the Oscars. There were 8 or 10 pictures on a double page spread in a magazine. All looked stunning to pretty good except one. Gweneth Paltrow looked like a monkey wearing an onion sack. She looked beyond bad, in her $50,000 designer dress. Underneath the pic all it it said was," Doesn't Gweneth have any friends". So much for not saying any thing bad. It is the American way.
We could extend this discussion to the lack of critisism of those responsible for the mounds of propoganda and bullshit regarding the weapons of mass destruction that weren't found in Iraq. Or the missing billions in US greenbacks, cash that just disappeared into thin air also in Iraq. Or perhaps that the real lack of investigation into the Banksters and their load swapping and derrivatives scams.
Unfortunately Taz, all of these things, and many many more require less than nice things to be said. Some think that keeping a low profile or making sure everyone is happy, irrespective of their behaviour is far more important than truth, some the inverse. I obviously support the latter.

Anyway to be just asked for a picture of my car after writing such evocative, if amateurish prose, is less than engaging, to say the least. A "gee wizz you are an irresonsible idiot because of blah blah. And, oh by the way got a pic of your car?", would have been a more real interaction. To my way of thinking only asking for a picture is an insult.

What could anyone on this forum benefit by me posting a picture/s of my bog standard, Rosso Corsa with black cloth trim, 308GT4 dino?

Got me beat...
post #14 of 16 Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Dear Sirrocco,

I think we all got off to a bad start here. I enjoyed reading your first post (although it took me half an hour ), but there seems to be a bit of antagonism weaved through. Just relax, we're good guys here. And that includes Taz, who in 4 years I've known him on the web has been a true gentleman.

Hope you stick around and that we can make it a pleasurable experience for everyone. And we look forward to your experiences with your GT4. I for one like them a lot.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #15 of 16 Old 02-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrocco View Post
You ask for pics for what reason? I cant think of a reasonable one, given what has been proffered. If you want a pic of a red 308 gt4 there are plenty on the net to be found on the net in google images...

Having spent too much of my life in the us of A, I suspect the motive for your question is what I have learnt to expect from many of the 300+ million that reside in the land of the Brave and the Free. Not really interested in providing anything on that basis. Way past trying too appease twisted, jealous, suspicious, envious, black hearted, or any combination of the above, people whos widely accepted creed for life is "He who dies with the most toys wins".

There is a little more to the riddle of life than that American threshhold of "success".
Unfortunately.

I have found the best response is to just keep on walking without turning back.

However...
I am currently at a convention in the USA and will be around for 2 weeks more. I have been very busy for the past 10 days.

All my photos are in Italy and I won't be back there for 3 months or so when the sun comes out again, additionally I have too much going on in my life to find the time to scan and post them, even if I were to remember after I get back.

Just to appease a disbelieving stranger.

tazandjan-" No Comment, sirrocco",
is that a question or a statement?
If its a question see above.

if its a statement- fine, no probs. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how vociferous.

Cheers

I ask because I own a '76 Gt4 and I love seeing pictures of them. They are all a little different and most of of us just like it when people share their cars.

I didn't comment on the novel you wrote because I had nothing to add to it other than noticing you had a gt4.

However, you read into that WAAAAAAY more than necessary and I'll let you conduct your exercise in paranoia and bitterness by your yourself if this thread. Sheesh.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
Wow what started as an amazing thread making me want to jump into my gt4 even with the suspension in pieces really turned into a pile of crap.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode