F355 GTS: RH Door Adjustment - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
GTS: RH Door Adjustment

Somehow, in the recent week, I've may have leaned on the RH Driver's door, slightly, No clue how this happened, I'm very careful getting in and out and I use the door sill as my pivot point for exiting.

Regardless of how it happened, Have you had to adjust a door, very slightly, in a 355 or, maybe a Pred/Secc 355 model ?

At the moment, the door is, somehow, misadjusted and it is allowing the front fender to be 'ever-so-slightly' scratched.

I'm about to make some calls to the dealer for a body-shop reference, has this happened to you and is this an indication of something to look out for in the future ? How can I avoid this ? Also, I'm bringing this to Cavallino next week so I'm hoping to correct this, this week.

Obviously, I don't lean on the door. This may have happened from closing the door too abruptly, when cleaning on this recent Saturday.

Here are some photos.
Attached Images

The GTS Rosso Corsa and tan , from Sport Auto. Looking for a manual 360 Modena.
Past Ferraris:
1989 Mondial Cabriolet - Nero/Tan,
1994 348 TS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 166
Update. I got a few estimates and am using Ferrari Authorized Coachwork and Body Repair, Luxury Auto Body Repair | Pompano Beach Sports Car Repair | Boca Raton Auto Body | Collision Repair . The expense is much higher than I imagined but the door has to be lifted, aligned and the scrape part (plus racing stripes) require refinishing with Ferrari standards. I drop it off in the morning. The Ferraris in this location are gorgeous. And, BTW, at Ferrari Ft. Lauderdale, there were so many 575s on the lot, they are gorgeous. I finally had a look at a 612 and a Superamerica. Very nice Mr. Champagne. The Italia is amazing, the FF looks really cool in person, the 430 Spider looks funny to me, the 430 coupe is gorgeous.

Anyway, This place does absolutely everything to refinish the car to Ferrari standards and thank goodness I went with Rossa Corsa ! I certainly do not want any paint-work done but the chips will cause rust. I'm having 3M placed on the 2 fends and having a closer look in the morning at some other items. Anthony states it will be ready by Friday, just in time for Cavallino.

If it wasn't caused by me leaning on it, it wasn't caused by the door being shut a tad too abruptly, it has to be the weight of the door, itself. I had the doors open wide for a long time on Saturday, that is the only thing I can think of. The wind didn't do it, I was in a secure area...

This must be a common occurrence.

The GTS Rosso Corsa and tan , from Sport Auto. Looking for a manual 360 Modena.
Past Ferraris:
1989 Mondial Cabriolet - Nero/Tan,
1994 348 TS
post #3 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Seem strange Voila. Can't imagine the weight of the door alone could cause that?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 4 Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I feel your pain and am embarrassed to state one of my 456 doors is not only giving a 'squeak' [lube doesn’t help], but has a slight rub starting to chip paint as yours shows. I know as you the door is never leaned on etc.

I believe, over time, my car due to its weight and the exiting/entry of drives might [this is my take] tend to warp the body out of line. At least that’s what I feel as I hear a creak or two when I exit/enter a drive.

I know my 456 is much longer than yours with a lot of weight but that’s the only thought. Since it’s the driver’s side, the ‘twist’ might either be my imagination or technique.

And I do not understand how a door being closed abruptly does that.

Have you ever taken a heavy ‘jolt’ when driving.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode