GT4 GT4: replacing front fog light bulbs - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
GT4: replacing front fog light bulbs

Prior to installing the new Birdman fuse blocks, my front fog lights had decided to stop working. I ignored it in the hope that the new fuse boards and fuses might fix the problem. Unfortunately this was not the case.

So I set about changing out the bulbs (even though it seems a little bizarre that both bulbs would go at the same time). There doesn't seem to be a simple way to access the bulbs, and the owners manual has absolutely nothing in the way of explanation or instruction on how to access the fog light bulbs.

Looks like the front grill needs to come out, but this is proving a very difficult task in it's own right.

Anyone here changed front fog bulbs on a GT4? Or know how it's done?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Barry
If memory serves.....
Stubby phillips screw driver or flex end phillips screw driver.
Grill attached to bodywork with phillips head screws at either end in other words the sides of the grill. (I think 2 or 3 each side and I cannot recall any on the long side of the grill)
Remove screws remove grill the fogs are the old type where the chrome bezel secures the glass and it is attached with 2 screws.
Doubt that both have blown at the same time so you could have an electrical issue?
post #3 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Barry
If memory serves.....
Stubby phillips screw driver or flex end phillips screw driver.
Grill attached to bodywork with phillips head screws at either end in other words the sides of the grill. (I think 2 or 3 each side and I cannot recall any on the long side of the grill)
Remove screws remove grill the fogs are the old type where the chrome bezel secures the glass and it is attached with 2 screws.
Peter
I thought the grill might have to be removed, but that proved to be a near impossible task. Its held in place by 4 bolds (8mm) but the are so tight to the grill struts that you can't even get a socket over the bolt, pretty much impossible to get off. I was hoping there was some other "easy" way to change the bulbs not looking likely...

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Doubt that both have blown at the same time so you could have an electrical issue?
I did think the very same thing. But thought it might be an easy check, before moving on to other ideas...

Incidently, previously when I turned on the front fogs, there was a small light under the toggle switch which turned on orange and stayed on when the lights were on. Here's a question... if both bulbs had blown and I turned on the fog lights, should the internal light below the toggle switch still come on - even though the fog lights did not?

If the answer to that Q is yes, then I have a different problem, because the internal orange light is not illuminating when I switch the toggle switch to the on position...

bloody classic cars. who's idea was this?

(only joking lads... I'm enjoying these little challenges )

post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Sounds like no power to the circuit if the indicator light does not come on.
Possible fuse wire or relay.

On the 10mm bolts could you possibly get an open ended spanner in there?
I was not aware that they were bolts the last car I examined was held in with phillips head machine screws.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Sounds like no power to the circuit if the indicator light does not come on.
Possible fuse wire or relay.

On the 10mm bolts could you possibly get an open ended spanner in there?
I was not aware that they were bolts the last car I examined was held in with phillips head machine screws.
Might be able to get an open ended spanner in, but with grazed knuckles and general "I'm gonna break something soon" attitude, I gave up last night.

That said if the indicator light is not on (when switch is in 'on' position) and it should be, then it's most likely not a simple bulb issue. Dont think its a relay issue either because the one relay covers all external lights and every other light is working. Fuses should be ok too as A) new Birdman blocks and fuses just installed and B) the fuse in question governs other lights which are all working.

Bit bizarre, because they were working fine up to about a week ago.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode