308 Need for gas additives? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Need for gas additives?

With the use of ethanol in gasoline, is there anything members are doing to try to prevent valve and engine wear in the 308 QV? Should gas additives be used or is the alcohol content low enought (15%) to use the pump gas straight. I am using only Chevron or Shell gasoline. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
328 gas

im using 91 octane pump gas in my 89 328,(i think its 15 % ethanol),,i wish the pump gas in california was higher in octane,(,,but just like everything else in this state,,,welcome to california,,now bend over for a good screwing!!),,,,i have 89,000 miles,,and my car has never run better..ive also heard of a ZINC additive (, oil additive ),,, some guys say motor oils of today dont have enough ZINC as to protect the camshafts..(again i never have and my motor is good )..i will say,,,that you should buy some FUEL ON,,,adding this to your tank ( gasoline additive )will make your car run significantly better...this stuff atomizes the fuel,,so it burns more efficiently,,,its magical,,,!! i use it in all my motorcycles as well,,,it also helps cars pass smog,,if that matters where you live,,Brett,,PS..there might a couple of ethanol free petrol stations near you,,you can google that,,and there is a website that gives you a map of ethanol free stations in your state,,

Last edited by lucca brazzi; 11-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
So having logged a significant amount of time on my carbed 308, i recommend going for Shell top line fuel, almost all of their top line (91 to 93 octane depending where it is refined) is ethanol free. I can only tell you from past experience and current 308 experience I have had no issues and it compliments Gertrude nicely.

- Brett

-----------------------
Current: 1978 308 GTB (25823)
Past:
Other: 2011 Audi A6 Avant

post #4 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
im using 91 octane pump gas in my 89 328,(i think its 15 % ethanol),,i wish the pump gas in california was higher in octane,(,,but just like everything else in this state,,,welcome to california,,now bend over for a good screwing!!),,,,i have 89,000 miles,,and my car has never run better..ive also heard of a ZINC additive (, oil additive ),,, some guys say motor oils of today dont have enough ZINC as to protect the camshafts..(again i never have and my motor is good )..i will say,,,that you should buy some FUEL ON,,,adding this to your tank ( gasoline additive )will make your car run significantly better...this stuff atomizes the fuel,,so it burns more efficiently,,,its magical,,,!! i use it in all my motorcycles as well,,,it also helps cars pass smog,,if that matters where you live,,Brett,,PS..there might a couple of ethanol free petrol stations near you,,you can google that,,and there is a website that gives you a map of ethanol free stations in your state,,

California requires an oxegenate and alcohol is the least destructive of any. Don't go looking for pump gas without it.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Owner

hey Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
California requires an oxegenate and alcohol is the least destructive of any. Don't go looking for pump gas without it.
hey Brian,,im a little confused,,am i ok using the gas stations by where i live,??,,i think i remember the sticker on the pump stating that they are 15 % ethanol..when i first read a thread on here concerning gasoline ,,i wasnt even aware that there was ethanol in the gas here in CA,all i remember ..was the MTBE additive..and i think thats no longer the case,,since they found that it was contaminating the water table,,anyways im hoping im ok,,,please advise,,thx Brett ps..or is the ethanol a form of the alcohol oxigenate you speak of.,..i know,,probably a dumb question,,im a layman,,for sure,,while im at it,,,i sometimes go up to LA,,and fill up with 108 octane gas from a station that has it at the pump,(is that ok ??),,i cant remember if its unleaded or leaded,,,,,but im not sure it matters,,since im not running a catalytic converter.,,,Brett

Last edited by lucca brazzi; 11-15-2011 at 04:05 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheldeli View Post
With the use of ethanol in gasoline, is there anything members are doing to try to prevent valve and engine wear in the 308 QV? Should gas additives be used or is the alcohol content low enought (15%) to use the pump gas straight. I am using only Chevron or Shell gasoline. Thanks for the input.

These days automakers are actually taking an active hand in what is in pump gas so aside from environmental requirements the major brands are already doing a pretty good job.
We use no fuel additives in either personal cars and motorcycles or clients Ferraris. Modern US gas begins to turn to a very destructive substance after sitting just a month or so but I am aware of no additive to address that particular problem. With the exception of having trouble with water content or condensation I am not aware of any fuel additives that are not already in name brand fuels that will prove to be a benefit.

Use good brands of fuel and don't let it sit for a long time.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
hey Brian,,im a little confused,,am i ok using the gas stations by where i live,??,,i think i remember the sticker on the pump stating that they are 15 % ethanol..when i first read a thread on here concerning gasoline ,,i wasnt even aware that there was ethanol in the gas here in CA,all i remember ..was the MTBE additive..and i think thats no longer the case,,since they found that it was contaminating the water table,,anyways im hoping im ok,,,please advise,,thx Brett ps..or is the ethanol a form of the alcohol oxigenate you speak of.,..i know,,probably a dumb question,,im a layman,,for sure,,

Alcohol largely replaced MTBE. MTBE was an evil substance pushed upon us by our wonderful bureaucrats until all the problems showed they did no due dilligence. Alcohol ain't great but it is better than the alternatives and we are pretty stuck with it until Archer Daniels Midland and other agra industry influences in DC quit stuffing the politicians pockets with money for subsidies to turn food into fuel. All that garbage has to go somewhere so it is going in our tanks for the forseeable future.

Like I said, pump gas is adulterated with something by Federal and a variety of state laws. Alcohol is the least bad of them and especially in California and Colorado.

Supporting the Canada/Texas pipeline, doing what we can to use the abundance of natural gas we have, drilling in ANWAR & the Gulf, building nukes and nuking the alcohol subsidies will all be a good start towards getting decent gas. Remember that on election day.

Last edited by Brian; 11-15-2011 at 04:22 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Alcohol largely replaced MTBE. MTBE was an evil substance pushed upon us by our wonderful bureaucrats until all the problems showed they did no due dilligence. Alcohol ain't great but it is better than the alternatives and we are pretty stuck with it until Archer Daniels Midland and other agra industry influences in DC quit stuffing the politicians pockets with money for subsidies to turn food into fuel. All that garbage has to go somewhere so it is going in our tanks for the forseeable future.

Like I said, pump gas is adulterated with something by Federal and a variety of state laws. Alcohol is the least bad of them and especially in California and Colorado.

Supporting the Canada/Texas pipeline, doing what we can to use the abundance of natural gas we have, drilling in ANWAR & the gulf, building nukes and nuking the alcohol subsidies will all be a good start towards getting decent gas. Remember that on election day.
thank you Sir,,
post #9 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
the highest octane available in my town is 95 (unleaded) which is a synthetic fuel out of coal instead of crude oil, metal free with much lower sulphur content. the lubrication is apparently better than older leaded fuels and burns clean on the "exhaust side" LOL

I've never seen gas with octane levels higher than 95...

don't know about the alchohol but does contain methanol, ethanol and traces of hydrogen...coal based fuels / gas also burns clean on the green side (less polution etc) easy on the cat...

cool threat this !
post #10 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Johnny- There are different ways of measuring octane in gasoline. Racing gasoline regularly exceeds 100 octane and high performance aircraft like a P-51 used 110/130 aviation gas with about 4 grams of lead per gallon. The really high octane fuels prevented preignition/detonation at very high levels (several atmospheres) of boost pressure.

At one point there was even a 115/145 octane gasoline for military applications.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
thanks for the great comments. It looks like gas additives to save valves is not an issue. Using Shell (?Chevron) gas and +/- on whether fuel stabalizer used (Important if not driving much).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode