328 328 usage and behavior - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
328 usage and behavior

I use my 328 once to three times a week and weekend I go for a 'far' drive and then I open her up a bit to burn off all those accumulated carbon on the valves, I hate leaving the car standing for more than a week.

I've noticed a bit of oil drop after a drive and it seems the oil 'sweats' around the cams (bottom) just behind the dip stick.

Otherwise i've got no problems with the car, starts everytime, gears are smooth, 2nd gear a bit stiff on a cold morning but smooths out within 5 to 7 minutes. I haven't drove faster than 130mph but the car reaches that speed quickly.

On a hot sunny day the dual fans kick in, water goes to 90C, on a cold day it takes longer to reach temperature - my cat converter is blanked out.

I get these urges to go for a drive...LOL

Rgds
Johnny

Last edited by JohnnyTS; 11-05-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Sounds like you cam seals might need checking at the next service.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Boxer, could it only be the cam seals ? is it possible to leak from somewhere else ?

cheers

Rgds
Johnny

post #4 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Johnny- Sounds like you are treating her right. A tiny bit of silicone seal rubbed on the leak area may stop your seepage until you can, like Boxer said, replace those cam seals.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
Boxer, could it only be the cam seals ? is it possible to leak from somewhere else ?

cheers
Could be. I would clean the engine off, take the 328 out for a good run, and then see if you can spot where the leak is coming from.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Gracie

hey Mr. Gracie....i have experienced the same issues, with leaks around the cam seals,,and valve covers,,,,it could be either thats leaking,,,i just did a 30k service in april of 2010,,,last month i discoverd a leak,,,while looking at the motor mounts under my car,,,it absolutely appeared to be a small drip from the cam seal,,,after taking it back to the shop,,they said it was from the valve cover,,,,so they told me they fixed it under warrenty,,,by lifting the cover and re-sealing it on the leaking side,,,well,,when i got it home,,,i went ahead and was able to tighten every valve cover bolt,,on both banks,,except the one under the fuel pump,,,and they almost all needed to be snug,,even the cam seal cover bolts...so im not sure how much effort was put in at my shop on that warrenty issue,,but,,since i went ahead and snugged all the bolts,,,and after what they said they did,,,,i no longer have any leaks,,,on another note,,i also went ahead and re torqued all the oil pan and transfer case pan bolts as well,,,,they all needed to be snugged,,,this was a couple of months after the 30k service....Brett..PS..i was once told that the only way to really get a good seal on the valve covers and cam seals,..the motor really needs to be taken out to do the 30k services ,,,get rid of the cat,,and put in a Larini test pipe...the car will run a lot cooler at idle,,as well as runnning cooler while driving hard,,but not cool enough to get the oil temp up to where it needs to be,,and your motor life will be prolonged....just a thought,,good luck

Last edited by lucca brazzi; 11-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Let it leak. it's not hurting anything. mine has several drips that will get tightened up on the major. just check the fluid levels on a regular basis and top it off as necessary.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Let it leak. it's not hurting anything. mine has several drips that will get tightened up on the major. just check the fluid levels on a regular basis and top it off as necessary.
That is the right attitude. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 9 Old 11-06-2011, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Awesome guys !

thanx...

Rgds
Johnny

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode