348 Looking to buy my first Ferrari 348 or 355? - Page 3 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 Old 12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Hey Oz...Talk to Sy. He re-did his entire suspension for the 348LM conversion and I'm sure he has some valuable data.
Cool !!! Speaking of 348s ..... from what I have heard, the stock 348 springs are noticeably stiffer than stock 355 up front .......... I will contact Sy as you suggest, to see what he did !!!!

........... F355 ...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
348 vs 355

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all this info, even if the original poster did not.

Ever since my life changed when I made the realization that I can realistically afford a Ferrari, I have been dreaming and researching, debating between the 348 and the 355.... (I have also thought about the 328 but it has mostly been ruled out for now... (maybe as a future secondary ferrari .

Reading and debating all of the points given, I think my Mind may have been changed. I had been leaning towards the 348, mainly due to the steering and price range, but now I'm not too sure. THere have been some fine arguments offered towards the 355...One question for all of ya. Anyone have any experience of using either one of these as a daily driver? any pros/cons? I understand that maintenance is expensive and am prepared for it. Just wondering if there are any major reliability issues I should worry about with either.

Secondly I am from Canada (British Columbia to be exact) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience/advice as where to find a reliable Ferrari mechanic close to my home? (Washington State is nice and close as well and wouldn't be hard for me to get there either.)

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to officially becoming part of the club in the near future!

Peace to all

Brad Mc
post #43 of 54 Old 05-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
We have many Canadians that will post .

I am hanging on the daily driver in both cars to do very well if on longer stretches . short driving in town is not a good idea . specially if steering is an issue . shifting might get a little bit old . having said that the engines are rock solid . maintenance is not as bad is it seems but of course there is a 3 year 30 k experience if you could probly stretch on today's circumstances to 4 years. doing yearly fluids is a good idea for the oil and transmission I would recommend . if you are in snow country there are other issues . will of course have to consider spider versus hardtop versus targa .

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

post #44 of 54 Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
The 348 is a wonderful weekend driver but a DD it is not. All the comments about the steering are true but around town and with the known cold gearbox issues it would be wearisome. The 355 would be much better in this respect.

Having said that I'm not sure the 355 makes a great DD either.

Current: 348 GT Competizione, 456 GT (Manual)

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.
Gilles Villeneuve
post #45 of 54 Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,873
Brad- Welcome to Ferrari Life. You can use any Ferrari as a daily driver. So far for me, all four of the ones I have had have been daily drivers, including the Daytona and its relatively heavy low speed steering.

The F355 has more power, a six speed transmission available with F1 or three pedals (same transmission and clutch), and bigger wheel/tire combination for more cornering power. Before buying any F355, you should have a bleed down check done and check for the dreaded worn valve guide problem shared with the 456. With forty guides on the F355, this can easily be a five figure repair and might sour your first Ferrari experience. No problem with guides on the on the 4 valve 348. Both are excellent cars, but both will be relatively expensive to maintain with engine out belt changes at 3-5 year intervals.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #46 of 54 Old 06-04-2012, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Well,
Hi there again to all the drivers pushing past me in a Bella Italiano Motor carro...
anyway as I pointed out I have driven a F355/6 speed extensively over the years and Driven a Mondial T many thousand miles..Out of the cars Im considering I have not driven the 348, but can imagine what it feels like in comparison to the Mondial T and 355/6 speed.

I prefer the Manual top and suspension of the 348,,less issues I have to deal with. I do not see the point in having a power top. I live in South Florida and this will be used in the good months November thru April..

POWER IS NOT AN ISSUE.. I have a Porsche 993 TWIN TURBO that will out run a 348/355 in every gear...

I am well happy with the power of the 348 as it will just for cruising. Im 39 years old and honed my driving skills on the AUTOBAHN in Germany.. Im not interested in street racing anyone,the car is just for cruising.

Im a tech with my own shop so cost of Mechanical work is irrelevant as all maintenance will be done in house.

That being said I decided to focus my search on a 1994 348 Targa or Spyder..the engine is basically same as the Mondial T and I am a whiz at working on that engine.
I plan a few modifications but mainly cosmetic.

NOW my real problem is I want a car only with a TAN interior and prefer a black/silver or yellow NO RED and the majority seems to be red.

I set aside 35k for the car and will take my time to look. Im in no hurry because I know what I want but also see potential for upswing in prices soon.

Thanks for all the info...I learned a few things about the 348/355 that I did not know so it was a valuable exchange of information and ideas..

Plus the 348 will fit in nicely with my other cars....
post #47 of 54 Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
PS..

As for 348 not being a good daily driver I had a customer is Los Angeles that drove a 1991 Mondial T as his daily driver 60 miles commute a day sold it a few years ago at 138,000 miles and bought a 1998 F355 6 speed spyder as a daily driver..
The last work I did on the 355 was at 62,000 miles. Clutch kit, Alternator, front brake pads, Radiator cap and all was quite reasonable.. that was in 2008. I live in Florida not but keep contact with him, he still drives it daly has 97,000 miles and no issues..
post #48 of 54 Old 06-04-2012, 04:45 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
This is a great community forum! THanks for all the info! Really appreciate the responses and will take all into consideration! I will definitely let you guys know what I decide when the time comes!
post #49 of 54 Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothspeed View Post
Cool !!! Speaking of 348s ..... from what I have heard, the stock 348 springs are noticeably stiffer than stock 355 up front .......... I will contact Sy as you suggest, to see what he did !!!!
Hey Oz.

I did put some stiffer springs on my car, but they made the ride really harsh and took them off a couple of months later and went back to stock. I've given two sets to another 355 owner who is going to try them out on his car. When i bump into him i will ask him how the car feels.

I've since installed a Quantum Racing Suspension system but not sure of the spring rates. Need to lower the car even more so I 'll probably get new springs for that.
post #50 of 54 Old 06-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Brad- Welcome to Ferrari Life. You can use any Ferrari as a daily driver. So far for me, all four of the ones I have had have been daily drivers, including the Daytona and its relatively heavy low speed steering. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Eurocar View Post
As for 348 not being a good daily driver I had a customer is Los Angeles that drove a 1991 Mondial T as his daily driver 60 miles commute a day sold it a few years ago at 138,000 miles and bought a 1998 F355 6 speed spyder as a daily driver..
The last work I did on the 355 was at 62,000 miles. Clutch kit, Alternator, front brake pads, Radiator cap and all was quite reasonable.. that was in 2008. I live in Florida not but keep contact with him, he still drives it daly has 97,000 miles and no issues..
I didn't actually say you couldn't use one as a DD, but I'm not sure I would/could, you are both braver than I. This was the reason I bought the 456...to use as a DD

Current: 348 GT Competizione, 456 GT (Manual)

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.
Gilles Villeneuve
post #51 of 54 Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
This has been a lot of help reading about the characteristics of the two cars. From a financial side though (since both cars have their advantages) would a it make sense to spend an extra $15,000 to move from (1994) 348 with 50k miles to a (1999) with 20k. I am leaning towards the F1 trans since my driving is more stop and go.
post #52 of 54 Old 01-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorob74 View Post
This has been a lot of help reading about the characteristics of the two cars. From a financial side though (since both cars have their advantages) would a it make sense to spend an extra $15,000 to move from (1994) 348 with 50k miles to a (1999) with 20k. I am leaning towards the F1 trans since my driving is more stop and go.
Make sure you drive a 355 F1 before buying. It is very much 1st generation of the F1 technology.
post #53 of 54 Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,876
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncorob74 View Post
The F1 for stop and go will result in faster clutch wear (I've read).

I have an F1 and I'm very happy I ended up getting one (originally I wanted a stick).

But, the F1 is difficult to creep up slow with, it's like a on/off switch and I'm nervous I will drive thru the back of my garage :-)
post #54 of 54 Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 16
I am flying to LA to test drive the F355 and the 348 on Tuesday. They are very different cars and I will wait until after the drives to make a decision.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode