F355 F355 stripped naked - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 35
F355 stripped naked

I really couldn't think of a better title for this post even though my car is only partially disrobed. Short version of the story: I'm having the entire front of the car from the windshield forward, and the lower side rockers and side skirts refinished and repainted. This will eliminate all the accumulated rock chips that were still noticeable even with touch up paint.

The pictures you see below are of the car going back together. The hood, headlight covers and side pieces were still being color sanded today. What is interesting is how small the side impact bars are inside the doors. I'm glad I stopped by the body shop today to see what the car looked like naked.

The good news is that the freshly painted front fenders have been color blended invisibly into the doors. Likewise, the lower rocker panel just ahead of the rear wheels matches the rear fender above it.

More pics to come as the car is put back together and the clear bra protection is applied.
Attached Images

1997 F355 Berlinetta, Rosso Barchetta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Dig those rims.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #3 of 26 Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Greg- She is looking good. Sneaky way to get to the door and window controls.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #4 of 26 Old 11-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Greg some more photos of the brake set up please?
Are they 6 or 4 piston calipers and are the discs semi floating or full floating?
Like the wheels looks like they may be 19's?
post #5 of 26 Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Greg, looking forward to seeing the after photos. From your avatar it looks like you have an awesome 355. I'm digging the wheel choice.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Greg some more photos of the brake set up please?
Are they 6 or 4 piston calipers and are the discs semi floating or full floating?
Like the wheels looks like they may be 19's?
Hi Alexander, they are 4 piston calipers on both the front and rear with semi-floating discs. I did not want a full floating setup because they can be a little noisy on the street. The wheels are 19" on all 4 corners.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I should have a lot more pics ready as the car gets put back together and detailed this week. I'll post more over the weekend.

Taz, I don't know a lot about how the window rails are serviced, but I think you are right. Removing the lower rockers looks like the best way to access the window mechanism.

-Greg

post #7 of 26 Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,152
Beautiful car. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics. I always love red 3xx models with gold/bronze wheels.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Owner

What started as a desire to respray the front bumper and front fenders turned into a "while you're at it" project. I picked up the car this morning and overall it turned out fantastic. The color matching job that Scott at Hot Rods and Hobbies did was outstanding. The final list of parts refinished and repainted was:

Front bumper
Headlight covers
Hood
Front fenders
Side rocker panels between front and rear wheels (everything below the middle crease)
Bottom side skirts
Mirrors touched up

Then it got clear bra applied and carbon door sills were installed to replace the factory aluminum ones that were starting to bubble up.

Only had time to snap 1 picture as I picked up the car, but I'll grab some better ones when the weather improves in SoCal. Raining tomorrow and next weekend
Attached Images

post #9 of 26 Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
What started as a desire to respray the front bumper and front fenders turned into a "while you're at it" project. I picked up the car this morning and overall it turned out fantastic. The color matching job that Scott at Hot Rods and Hobbies did was outstanding. The final list of parts refinished and repainted was:

Front bumper
Headlight covers
Hood
Front fenders
Side rocker panels between front and rear wheels (everything below the middle crease)
Bottom side skirts
Mirrors touched up

Then it got clear bra applied and carbon door sills were installed to replace the factory aluminum ones that were starting to bubble up.

Only had time to snap 1 picture as I picked up the car, but I'll grab some better ones when the weather improves in SoCal. Raining tomorrow and next weekend
Turned out great Greg !
post #10 of 26 Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxpert View Post
Turned out great Greg !
Thanks. I was a nervous wreck driving it home on the 405 & 101.

post #11 of 26 Old 11-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:

Front bumper
Headlight covers
Hood
Front fenders
Bottom side skirts
Mirrors touched up

Lookin' great, Greg!

I really need to do this to my front clip and hood on the F355 but then I think I'll be afraid to drive it.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Lookin' great, Greg!

I really need to do this to my front clip and hood on the F355 but then I think I'll be afraid to drive it.
Thanks Rick. You were the first guy from the forums to actually see this car last year when it was up for consignment sale. I remember you told me "It's a good driver but needs cosmetic attention and a good detail."

I'm almost done now. Just need to have the dash re-covered and then it will be time to put it in the plastic bubble. (Just kidding.)

post #13 of 26 Old 11-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Owner

Car looks good.
Has a good stance. Did you lower the suspension at all? The 19's are the business.
How is the "feel" on the road? Did you install the 19's or did you buy the car with them on?
What make are the wheel rims?
post #14 of 26 Old 11-06-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Car looks good.
Has a good stance. Did you lower the suspension at all? The 19's are the business.
How is the "feel" on the road? Did you install the 19's or did you buy the car with them on?
What make are the wheel rims?
Hi Alexander, the ride height may have been lowered by one of the previous owners, but it still measures 4" from the ground to the lower rocker which I believe is the factory's minimum ride height spec.

Regarding the 19 wheels, yes I installed them and they ride very comfortably as the total weight of each tire+wheel is within 2-3 pounds of the factory magnesium wheels and BF Goodrich tires that I previously had on. They are made by Yokohama and the brand name is called Advan.

-Greg

post #15 of 26 Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
A beautiful 355. Well done!
post #16 of 26 Old 11-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
Quote:
Thanks Rick. You were the first guy from the forums to actually see this car last year when it was up for consignment sale. I remember you told me "It's a good driver but needs cosmetic attention and a good detail."

I'm almost done now. Just need to have the dash re-covered and then it will be time to put it in the plastic bubble. (Just kidding.)
I really need my dash redone too. Are you staying with leather or thinking about alcantara? I'd love to do the latter. Let me know if you find someone good to redo the dash; maybe we can get a "group buy". =)
post #17 of 26 Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 51
Quote:
I really need my dash redone too. Are you staying with leather or thinking about alcantara? I'd love to do the latter. Let me know if you find someone good to redo the dash; maybe we can get a "group buy". =)
Rick, I have a source for Alcantara at wholesale pricing.

I purchased a few yards for my Spider project and the quality seems better than the CS OEM.

The 355 dash is not as challenging as the 360.

I am having a few 360 dashes done locally for our sims, I will enquire on 355 pricing and let you know.
post #18 of 26 Old 11-07-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxpert View Post
Rick, I have a source for Alcantara at wholesale pricing.

I purchased a few yards for my Spider project and the quality seems better than the CS OEM.

The 355 dash is not as challenging as the 360.

I am having a few 360 dashes done locally for our sims, I will enquire on 355 pricing and let you know.
Hi Guys,

Enrique, thanks for the offer on Alcantara but I would prefer to stay with either leather or a high-grade synthetic leather (aka vinyl?) on mine.

Rick, when Vas bought his car the dash had already been re-covered in synthetic leather. Jim M and Chris D know who did the work and I'm assuming that shop is somewhere in San Diego. I'm going to send them an email and copy you and Enrique. Vas' dash looks really good.

-Greg

post #19 of 26 Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Owner

Quote:
Hi Alexander, the ride height may have been lowered by one of the previous owners, but it still measures 4" from the ground to the lower rocker which I believe is the factory's minimum ride height spec.

Regarding the 19 wheels, yes I installed them and they ride very comfortably as the total weight of each tire+wheel is within 2-3 pounds of the factory magnesium wheels and BF Goodrich tires that I previously had on. They are made by Yokohama and the brand name is called Advan.

-Greg
My car rides at 6" with stock wheels and Pirelly P Zero tyres.

I guess the car looks a lot better lower to the ground.
Given the state of some of our roads I would not be as brave as you to lower another 2" as I am likely to leave a trail of 355 parts behind me.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I love those wheels, anyone know where they can be bought in the US? Google pretty much comes up with Austrailian dealers.

Vivid and Wheel Warehouse has them, FYI

Last edited by Subarubrat; 02-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode