GT4 GT4 as a semi daily driver? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
GT4 as a semi daily driver?

Gents,
What are your thoughts about a 308 GT4 as a semi daily driver? As you know I've been toying with the notion of acquiring a 308 GTS recently and have test driven a couple.

I've also test driven a couple of 80's Porsche 911 SCs with a view to getting into one of them. Somehow though, I can't quite get the same enthusiasm for a Porsche as I can for any Ferrari.

And I have a problem.

Here's the problem... I work (reasonably, but not too) hard, so free time is at a premium. I've 3 children under 7 and they are the biggest priority for me, I've 3 motorbikes that I don't get to ride as often as I'd like, 2 mountain bikes and a road bicycle that don't get used as much as I'd like, I run marathons and triathlons, which are great fun, but the training takes up considerable time. Not to mention the 360 which doesn't get used as much as I'd like either or the motor home which I'd like more weekends away with the kids in. Ideally I'd like 30 hours in a day and maybe 10 days in a week. Familiar problem to anyone else?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner

So here's a potential solution/random continued ramblings...

I would dearly love to get a carbed 308 GTS into the garage, but I really have to ask myself, could I ever find the time to use and enjoy it? At this point in life, possibly not. So I started thinking a 4 seater Ferrari. Something I can take all the kids in, and give their wonderful Mum a break when I do. Something that I can enjoy whilst at the same time spending quality time with my family.

In reality I have little or no need for a practical car (hence I sold the AMV8). A 4 seater classic Ferrari would be for the occassional drive to the office or client site, but mainly for 2-3 trips a week with one or more small people in tow, the collection from school, the drop off to gymnastics, art classes, etc.

Could a GT4 live with such abuse? Could it live on a driveway, rather than a being pampered in a heated garage? I know the Bertone design is an acquired taste (for me as well), but with a sensible, realistic hat on for once, I'm thinking that perhaps I should shelve my 308 GTS plan for 5 years and get into a GT4 to experience some classic Ferrari motoring and enjoy it with the family at the same time.

Thougts, pros, cons, obvious miscalculations and general abuse are all welcome...!

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #3 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131

post #4 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
612 is the answer.
Over budget and thats before the Irish government try to charge c. 50K import taxes for the privilege of putting Irish reg plates on it.

post #5 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Barry- A GT4 would work fine as a DD and they are as quick as a 308 GTB/S. If family is a consideration, there is more room in a Mondial, just make sure you get a QV or newer one because the Mondial 8 is a bit underpowered.

My wife rode a couple of hundred kms in the back of a GT4 when we picked up my 308 GTS in Germany and was comfortable. Of course she is 5'2" and weighed 105 lbs then, so she does not take up much room.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Gt4

ive always liked the GT4,,,and i would venture a guess,,that its much more of a daily driver than a 308/328,,,i remember looking at a really nice black example up in Palos Verdes some years ago,,i cant quite remember what exactly was done to it,,,but i was so into it,,,that i would have been happy to have this guys particular version for myself,,,good luck,,Brett
post #7 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Barry- A GT4 would work fine as a DD and they are as quick as a 308 GTB/S. If family is a consideration, there is more room in a Mondial,
If you do go down the Mondial route. A Mondial t Spider is probably your best bet.

Other option is a 456 GT. They can be picked up for the mid GBP 20k these days.
post #8 of 49 Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
If you do go down the Mondial route. A Mondial t Spider is probably your best bet.

Other option is a 456 GT. They can be picked up for the mid GBP 20k these days.
At the moment a Mondial is not really in the equation. 456, maybe. I do think it is an elegant design and a lot of Ferrari fir the money. Though I've never owned a classic and that is what has me considering the GT4.

post #9 of 49 Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
At the moment a Mondial is not really in the equation. 456, maybe. I do think it is an elegant design and a lot of Ferrari fir the money. Though I've never owned a classic and that is what has me considering the GT4.
If the objective is to carry 4 in a classic, a 365 GT 2+2 is a very elegant option. I would also take a look at a Maserati Indy.
post #10 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 AM
rmd
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Barry,

I may be able to offer some help.

I've run a GT4 for approaching 7 years. In that time it has let me down just once... that being a dead battery due to the age of it. Basically, it has been the most reliable car (or any kind) I have ever owned.

Ah, is it pampered I hear you ask? Far from it. I've spanked it round the Top Gear track three times, Brands GP circuit twice, Sneterton, North Weald etc etc. OK, the throttle stuck open going down Hawthorn, but not the cars fault!

Like you, I have offspring who occasionaly want to go out in the car too, or more accurately we can go out as a family of four in the GT4 rather than using the Audi estate. Some pics below of this and the various car shows, events, track days and even Italian Day at the kids school that I brought the car in for.

I occasionally use it for work (80 mile round trip) and it's fine. No real agro from other road users which I think is partly because it's not as "obvious" as a 308 GTB/S. There's a fella called Nick on ferrarichat who used his as his daily car for a few years with no negative outcomes.

If you get one, make sure the drivers seat is in good condition and have re-stuffed if needed as they get a little thin over the years. I have 16" wheels on mine which has transformed the handling, improved grip and made the steering lighter!

In a word.... go for it.

Any questions, just ask.
Attached Images

post #11 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Owner

rmd - welcome to Ferrari Life! And many thanks for the write up of your experiences to date with your GT4. Very reassuring from the perspective of a potential owner.

The pics are great, shows a true diversity of purposes that can be achieved with a 2+2!

I've spent most of the weekend weighing up the virtues of a 308 GT4 vs. 365 GT2+2/400/400i vs. Mondial. Still keep returning to the GT4. I don't think they are as well priced now as they might have been a few years ago, would appear that 20K GBP would be minimum asking price for a good one in the UK.

Decisions, decisions...

post #12 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
Go for it. Love mine. The reason the price is going up is that people are beginning to realise that they are a good buy. You won't lose money either.
Going to be worth more next year!
post #13 of 49 Old 10-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd View Post
Barry,

I may be able to offer some help.

I've run a GT4 for approaching 7 years. In that time it has let me down just once... that being a dead battery due to the age of it. Basically, it has been the most reliable car (or any kind) I have ever owned.

Ah, is it pampered I hear you ask? Far from it. I've spanked it round the Top Gear track three times, Brands GP circuit twice, Sneterton, North Weald etc etc. OK, the throttle stuck open going down Hawthorn, but not the cars fault!

Like you, I have offspring who occasionaly want to go out in the car too, or more accurately we can go out as a family of four in the GT4 rather than using the Audi estate. Some pics below of this and the various car shows, events, track days and even Italian Day at the kids school that I brought the car in for.

I occasionally use it for work (80 mile round trip) and it's fine. No real agro from other road users which I think is partly because it's not as "obvious" as a 308 GTB/S. There's a fella called Nick on ferrarichat who used his as his daily car for a few years with no negative outcomes.

If you get one, make sure the drivers seat is in good condition and have re-stuffed if needed as they get a little thin over the years. I have 16" wheels on mine which has transformed the handling, improved grip and made the steering lighter!

In a word.... go for it.

Any questions, just ask.
Welcome to FerrariLife. Great first post.
post #14 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Great first post indeed, welcome! I must say that the more I see the GT/4, the better it looks, I think its shape has aged really well.

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #15 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Richard, great first post and how wonderful to see a car that well-loved!

I really like the GT4. They are wonderful to drive, practical, and with great heart and soul. Good car. Just don't buy Richard Hammond's example from the Top Gear episode....

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #16 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Richard- Welcome to Ferrari Life. It sounds like one GT4 definitely made it to the correct family.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #17 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
rmd
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Thanks fellas, kind welcome indeed!

I do love my car, but use it as Enzo would have wanted to.. in my opinion. It gets warmed up, looked after, serviced when needed... then gets a right good thrashing!

It runs better now than it did when I got it in Feb 2005. The previous owner of 21 years did 7,000 miles in that time! These cars love regular use... once every two weeks minimum to keep them "happy".

I have several hundred photos of it... if I'll post up another montage showing what it's been used for shortly.
post #18 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd View Post
I have several hundred photos of it... if I'll post up another montage showing what it's been used for shortly.
keep em coming

post #19 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
GT4? Go for it!

I have had mine for a year now and love it.
I drive it all the time - work, errands, supermarket, even to get pumpkins (and yes I fit them in the trunk)!
I have similar time issues and similar hobbies. I dont get to put many miles on the Ducati because I can only take it to work - and I can't take the kids on it (yet).
But the kids LOVE the GT4. They fit well in it (they are 6 & 4), and they love the ride and the sounds.
I had to do a bunch of maintenance on the car last winter (major and carb rebuilds), but it has been stone reliable since.
Everyone says the GT4 is an acquired taste.
I say acquire one - you won't regret it.
My brother has a 456. It is faster, and a little more comfortable (at least for front seaters... But a LOT less raw, a LOT more complicated, and in my opinion no better looking.
post #20 of 49 Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Richard, great first post and how wonderful to see a car that well-loved!
Great post and if that montage doesn't show you all the fun things you can do in these cars then I don't know what will.

I wouldn't make it your ONLY car to rely on to get to work but for something to drive a few times a week without worrying so much about mileage decreasing its value, then go for it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode