F355 Berlinetta or Spider - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Berlinetta or Spider

I'd like some opinions.

Better yet, pros and cons from car owners.

I'm down to some final decision making before i rigorously search for "the car" and want the best data (opinions/facts) on this one thing; Berlinetta or Spider?
I love the way the spider looks, top down but I don't care for the looks too much top up. I suspect I'll drive top down less that top up just because I won't want to leave the car top down when I park (restaurant, gym, etc) and if my habits with my other "second" cars is an indication; I don't do a lot of driving "just to go driving". I imagine that some of the car's use could be at the track "for fun" (not abuse).
I also really like the look of the coupe, a lot! But the top down of the convertible...well, hard to beat...rather awesome!

So, what are some things I may be too "in love in general" that I am not seeing, that will be clear with 6 months of ownership?

Oh, I do have a quick "other" opinion. I'm almost positive that I desire red/tan...which red??? I like the tradition Rossa but the Barchetta (blood red) looks sweet in pictures. Any opinions there.

...I've begun dreaming about these cars.....

Thanks for the help!

Eddie
TxEddie1111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 10-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 18
1. Assuming you live in Texas, most of the time it's too hot for a spider.
2. A TB is more desirable in my opinion because they are rare compared to the spider.
3. 355 spiders have a history of hydraulic problems with the roof.
4. TB less wind noise at speed.
5. TB is the right choice.
6. Get a spider for the wife or girlfriend.
ghardt is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2010
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEddie1111 View Post
I don't do a lot of driving "just to go driving".

Eddie,

That one sentance says it all, get a coupe.
Killer58 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Owner
 
champagne612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: St Louis
Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEddie1111 View Post
I'd like some opinions.

I don't do a lot of driving "just to go driving".


Eddie

Bet that's going to change

If you want a Spider get it ... not everything has to make sense!
champagne612 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
If you are just going to cruise in the F355, buy the Spider, if you are going to track it, get the Berlinetta.
Boxer is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Thanks guys!

...for confusing me more!!! haha

...the targa was a good idea I had not considered. I looked and there are a bit scarcer...no worries though, I can take my time. This one has got me thinking.

I guess in the end, any good example, will be sweet.

I assume the "track" (Berlinetta) suggestion is because of frame rigidity? (I could use a Spider if I desired?)

I've heard mostly "now" on the F1 due to maintenance issues. Is this a major deal? I had the paddle shift in my Maserati and never had any trouble but then again, it was a 2005. More intel on this would be helpful (not that I necessarily want the F1...just opens up the availability a bit more).

I'll keep you posted!


(Still welcome to opinions)
TxEddie1111 is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEddie1111 View Post
Thanks guys!

...for confusing me more!!! haha

...the targa was a good idea I had not considered. I looked and there are a bit scarcer...no worries though, I can take my time. This one has got me thinking.

I guess in the end, any good example, will be sweet.

I assume the "track" (Berlinetta) suggestion is because of frame rigidity? (I could use a Spider if I desired?)

I've heard mostly "now" on the F1 due to maintenance issues. Is this a major deal? I had the paddle shift in my Maserati and never had any trouble but then again, it was a 2005. More intel on this would be helpful (not that I necessarily want the F1...just opens up the availability a bit more).

I'll keep you posted!


(Still welcome to opinions)
Personally the F1 on the F355 would not be recommended. Regarding the track, the Berlinetta is stiffer than the Spider. GTS is compromise between the two. The roofs on the GTS do leak though.
Boxer is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Owner
 
m5guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Rosso Barchetta is a pretty rare color for the 355 so I think your choices will be better with Corsa. This is Barchetta.
Attached Images
 
m5guy is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5guy View Post
Rosso Barchetta is a pretty rare color for the 355 so I think your choices will be better with Corsa. This is Barchetta.
What wheels are those
Boxer is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Owner
 
m5guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern CA
Ferrari Life Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
What wheels are those
Advan T5 in 19" on all 4 corners.
m5guy is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Buy the Spider as you desire it first, then look at the removable hard top for the 355 Spider and now you have a B car and a Spider. Check out the thread "Removable Hard Top for your 355 Spider" There are pictures there. Problem solved.
Jett Ferrari is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: VA
Ferrari Life Posts: 48
If you plan to track it, I would (and did) go with a Berlinetta. I prefer the GTS to the spider if you want an open top, but that's personal preference. F1 equipped GTS is the rarest of the 355's, so may one day have some value, though I kind of doubt it...
bobzdar is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Got a spider!

I do love the Berlinetta and the GTS equally. I was at a Ferrari show this weekend and saw Ferrari-overload (if there is such a thing). there were several of all types and at the end of the day...they are all just brilliant!
TxEddie1111 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 12-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Have you taken delivery?
Boxer is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Owner
 
Kurby69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jackson, MO.
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEddie1111 View Post
Got a spider!

I do love the Berlinetta and the GTS equally. I was at a Ferrari show this weekend and saw Ferrari-overload (if there is such a thing). there were several of all types and at the end of the day...they are all just brilliant!

Good call on getting the Spider!!! Believe me, you will not be disapointed. The music from the exhaust note is intoxicating!!!
Kurby69 is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Ferrari Life Posts: 22
When I was deciding...the wife wanted a spider, I wanted a berlinetta. So, of course...ended up with a GTS.

Love the car. The only annoyance I have with the GTS is the rattle of the targa top. It can get annoying...but then I just blast it up to 8K and the noise goes away. :-D

I always envisioned a 3-pedal, and the spider's just didn't asthetically appeal to me as much as the coupes/GTS'. Plus, being gen-1, the spider top and F-1 transmissions are prone to hiccups.

All the best. Enjoy!
White Knight is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
When I was deciding...the wife wanted a spider, I wanted a berlinetta. So, of course...ended up with a GTS.

Love the car. The only annoyance I have with the GTS is the rattle of the targa top. It can get annoying...but then I just blast it up to 8K and the noise goes away. :-D

I always envisioned a 3-pedal, and the spider's just didn't asthetically appeal to me as much as the coupes/GTS'. Plus, being gen-1, the spider top and F-1 transmissions are prone to hiccups.

All the best. Enjoy!
Does yours leak from the front corners in the rain?
Boxer is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 12-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Owner
 
gothspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Ferrari Life Posts: 183
I prefer the spider because I think it looks better than the B .......... especially with the top up !!!! the smaller rear window just looks right to me ............ and this is coming from a lifelong proponent of hard tops ........ the F355 spider looks perfect IMO .....

........... F355 ...........
gothspeed is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 12-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Goldsboro, NC
Ferrari Life Posts: 22
Boxer --

I've noticed a bit with mine but nothing drastic. I think some of the leaking may have to do with the age of the gasket material, as it does degrade.

I've noticed a few water droplets here and there both when I wash it and when out in the rain, but only from the front right corner, not the driver's side.
White Knight is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Boxer --

I've noticed a bit with mine but nothing drastic. I think some of the leaking may have to do with the age of the gasket material, as it does degrade.

I've noticed a few water droplets here and there both when I wash it and when out in the rain, but only from the front right corner, not the driver's side.

It sounds like your gaskets are in very good condition. Mine used to leak from both front corners in heavy rain.
Boxer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale