F355 pricing opinions please - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
pricing opinions please

What do you think today's reasonable prices are for a red/tan F355 spider with the valve guides, exhaust manifolds and sticky issues fixed? I'm thinking a '95/'96 in pampered condition (no dings or scratches outside, like newish leather inside). Miles <30-ish K?

It seems that there are a few good ones (pics only) in the $60's.

Would you knowledgable guys even consider one that needed the items fixed at a lower price (could this mean the overall pampering was not as tedious thereby a potential of other, smaller issues)?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 573
If your hypothetical car below has had a major done in past 2 years, I could see a low 60s asking price.

I would definitely consider one that hasn't been sorted - but just go in with eyes wide open and set aside up to $25k for parts and repairs if it needs "everything".

Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxEddie1111 View Post
What do you think today's reasonable prices are for a red/tan F355 spider with the valve guides, exhaust manifolds and sticky issues fixed? I'm thinking a '95/'96 in pampered condition (no dings or scratches outside, like newish leather inside). Miles <30-ish K?

It seems that there are a few good ones (pics only) in the $60's.

Would you knowledgable guys even consider one that needed the items fixed at a lower price (could this mean the overall pampering was not as tedious thereby a potential of other, smaller issues)?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Eddie
post #3 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Mint- mid- 60's
Avg - mid low 50's
Poor- mid low 40's

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson

post #4 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
don't get hung up on a garage queen. i did it and regret it because i drive the car. I prefer to get one that needs a major, but not the valves/headers. Rather someone else take the hit for that. I like the idea of getting the major done myself. then you can be assured it is done and done properly and the car is gone through thoroughly before you drive it. I would, of course, get a thorough PPI from an expert ferrari mechanic before i bought though. Just because someone has paperwork that a major was done doesn't mean it was or that it was done well. I have seen cars with paperwork from a major dealer and things weren't done or weren't done properly. take the price cut and get the major done right.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Owner

...great advice guys and most helpful.

I live in Houston so we have FM of Houston. I have experience with them as they serviced my Maserati (they did fine). What is you beliefs (experience) with dealerships vs. specialty shops servicing specific cars like exotics?

Thanks loads.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Although I'm sure there are dealerships that would do a fine job, for a major, I'll ship my car across country to ECS or Competizione rather than have a local dealer do it.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
Although I'm sure there are dealerships that would do a fine job, for a major, I'll ship my car across country to ECS or Competizione rather than have a local dealer do it.
+1 David, and that's how I feel about FoH. They don't have common parts, their attitude sux, etc. I understand they have an outstanding body shop, however.

Quote:
I live in Houston so we have FM of Houston. I have experience with them as they serviced my Maserati (they did fine). What is you beliefs (experience) with dealerships vs. specialty shops servicing specific cars like exotics?
Eddie, I'm also in Houston, and have had good success with Mark Darragh (Sphere Motorsports). A number of the Houston owners use Mark in lieu of the dealer who's obviously not interested enough in the parts & service business to return calls or carry common parts like valve cover gaskets, oil filters, etc.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #8 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Eddie, I'm also in Houston, and have had good success with Mark Darragh (Sphere Motorsports). A number of the Houston owners use Mark in lieu of the dealer who's obviously not interested enough in the parts & service business to return calls or carry common parts like valve cover gaskets, oil filters, etc.
John:

What is your opinion of the 'other' TX dealerships? Thinking of how it might relate to, say FofSF.

thanks

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 17 Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 150
I'd add that while headers are pretty much a certainty on these cars with enough miles (though mine are original at 24K miles, 8k in the last 2 1/2 years), the valve guide issue is significantly over reported. It's a big problrm, but there's a thread on fchat that includes a poll on valve guides and it is in the neighborhood of 15-20% of cars. While that is horrific for any maunfacturer to have afailure rate like that, it also means that 4 out of 5 cars you look at won't need that done.
Bill
post #10 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Huge help guys; thanks loads.

cribbj, I appreciate the mechanic info. I'll certainly give them a buzz. Do you belong to a Houston F club??

Eddie
post #11 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
John:

What is your opinion of the 'other' TX dealerships? Thinking of how it might relate to, say FofSF.

thanks

rik
Rik, sorry I didn't see your question come up in the New Posts.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of experience with the dealers. I bought my car from Ferrari of Washington, and while I didn't have occasion to use their service department, I met their service manager & was impressed with him, and the service dept was full & overflowing, so a number of people must be satisfied with them. However, in talking with the mid-Atlantic guys here, my impressions are apparently contrary to most who know the dealership much better than I do.

With Ferrari of Houston, I've not met anyone there because I never was able to get anyone on the phone or to return emails in order to schedule a service appointment. The only guy I was ever able to get on the phone worked in the parts department and on two different occasions he didn't have the parts I needed (oil filters + some gaskets), nor did he know when they would have them. After these two failed attempts, I'll just continue to use Ricambi for all my parts until they give me a reason not to.

For the service work, I've had much better luck and more personalised service with independents like Josh Hill of ECS when the car was up in Virginia, and now Mark Darragh of Sphere Motorsports here in Houston.

I've had no experience with any of the other TX dealers.

Eddie, no but I keep intending to join - just haven't gotten to it.

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member

Last edited by cribbj; 10-10-2011 at 08:48 AM.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

John, well, it looks like I found a spider that I "must" buy. Interestingly, FoW just did a 30k major (alone with a series of other "you should do this too" items) on it 700 miles ago. I'm pretty pumped. I hope your "they were busy theory" plays out...

How do you like your 550? I'll tell you, if I were going for a V12, I'd be on that hunt (or 575) in a heartbeat. I LOVE the red ones. To me, they will end up very collectable (they just have that look and class).

Anyway, I may be pushing you to attend a meeting or two if my purchase goes through.

Eddie
post #13 of 17 Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Well, TX Eddie: I agree with everyone's assessment above. Hope your experience goes well. Doing a 30k major from FofW sounds VERY good to me. Ask if the headers and valves were done, as I don't recall you saying they evaluated that, as WET mentions let someone else take that hit. A well driven car is one to get IMO>

As for the 12's vs 8's there is a BIG/huge diff on the 12's you'll be VERY PUMPED on, but, also on the bills to keep maintenance...especially considering the 8's in the 348/355 range. Latter is MUCH more than most with the 5-valve thingie....better off with a well sorted 360[another 5-valver]/430 IMO [then one can be caught up on the looks where the 355 has a somewhat nice appeal].

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 17 Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Eddie ... I heard you are looking at a car at EMM in St Louis.

I live a few miles away and have used GLB for the past 10 years on my cars,

If you need any help let me know and feel free to use my name over at GLB.

Good guys and they know their Ferrari's

post #15 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Doug,

I really appreciate the offer. I had an "individual" do the PPI because EMM "suggested" I use GLB; not knowing anyone there, it concerned me a tad to have the PPI done by someone recommended by the seller...hindsight, probably a bit paranoid.
In the end, the guy I used was probably OK, but he mentioned a few things that caused me to wonder his knowledge depth on the 355.

I certainly don't mind any repairs that could be required, I just HATE surprises when I do due diligence.

Anyhow, thanks for sure. If I need that bit of extra, I'll take you up on the offer. It's at a shop now (on EMM's dime) to replace the valve cover gaskets due to a small oil leal discovered on the PPI.

Overall, I am happy with EMM; nice guys for sure and responsive.

Eddie
post #16 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Doug,

I really appreciate the offer. I had an "individual" do the PPI because EMM "suggested" I use GLB; not knowing anyone there, it concerned me a tad to have the PPI done by someone recommended by the seller...hindsight, probably a bit paranoid.
In the end, the guy I used was probably OK, but he mentioned a few things that caused me to wonder his knowledge depth on the 355.

I certainly don't mind any repairs that could be required, I just HATE surprises when I do due diligence.

Anyhow, thanks for sure. If I need that bit of extra, I'll take you up on the offer. It's at a shop now (on EMM's dime) to replace the valve cover gaskets due to a small oil leal discovered on the PPI.

Overall, I am happy with EMM; nice guys for sure and responsive.

Eddie
Eddie ... best of luck!

Don't wanna see a guy on here get the short stick so anything I can do let me know.

Feel free to post in the St Louis section - there is a young man named Ryan who takes the videos and camera shots for EMM and is there almost daily.

There are also a few other guys that know EMM - not a bad idea to let some people take a look at it so EMM knows they are under the scope.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
Eddie ... best of luck!

Don't wanna see a guy on here get the short stick so anything I can do let me know.

Feel free to post in the St Louis section - there is a young man named Ryan who takes the videos and camera shots for EMM and is there almost daily.

There are also a few other guys that know EMM - not a bad idea to let some people take a look at it so EMM knows they are under the scope.
Great idea!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode