F355 newby question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-01-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
newby question

Is the exhaust manifold issue on the 355 resolved on cars that have the Tubi exhaust? In my mind this is only common sense but then again....don't wanna assume.

Also, the valve guide issue (I think I am on track) is resolved if the PO had this fixed which would be verified through maintenance receipt, right?

Once the valve issue has been resolved, does it pop up again?

Thanks guys. I'm honing in on a few 355's and want to make sure I get this (as) right (as I can).

Thanks!

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,132
Eddie,

Welcome to the forum. The tubi exhaust will not do anything to alleviate the header issues. They will all need to be replaced at some point. Tubi makes an excellent set of replacement headers, but they cost around 6k.

Regarding the guides, I have heard both opinions on the issue, and I'm not a mechanic, so I won't interject.

Regardless, choose an excellent example and enjoy it. There is nothing like a 355. I've had two, and will likely have a third at some point soon.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Eddie- Welcome to Ferrari Life. The F355 exhaust manifold issue is only solved if the car is fitted with updated headers or exhaust manifolds. Normally, Tubis are only the muffler and tailpipes. If Tubi headers are fitted, then yes, the problem is solved.

The valve guide problem is usually permanently fixed with new guides. Seems like Ferrari got some bad guides during the time the F355 and 456 were being built. There are much better guides available than the OEM Ferrari valve guides. On the 456/M, Ferrari recommended using the sintered steel guides from the 575M, but on the F355 better bronze alloy guides should last forever.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 34
Very good info guys, thanks!

Any idea on the estimated cost of each "upgrade"; OEM or aftermarket headers (non-Tubi since you graciously mentioned that price) and the updated guides?

Thanks for the "welcomes"! I'm a long time Maserati Life Forum member but recently sold my GranSport. That Forum is very helpful as this one seems to be; great group in both places.

I'm left with a Cayman S which drives (mid engine) quite nice...but it's just not Italian; I put it up for sale this weekend...

A few weeks ago I went to Abu Dhabi to Ferrari World....oh...my...gosh. It was just amazing (the Ferrari's). The park itself was a bit of a letdown (pretty lame), but the cars, man-o-man.

So, back to Houston and honing in on a 355 (my preference over the 360), red and tan.

Thanks again guys.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,858
Eddie- Another alternative.

FABSPEED: Ferrari 355

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode