Ferrari Life

Ferrari Life (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/)
-   Pre '99 V8s: GT4, 308, 328, 348, F355 (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pre-99-v8s-gt4/)
-   -   F355 F355 fires (https://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/pre-99-v8s-gt4/14858-f355-fires.html)

drjavid 09-09-2011 06:10 PM

F355 fires
 
Thanks to another thread, I saw too many pictures of F355s that had caught fire and were totally destroyed. Is there a mechanical tendency specific to this model? Or is this a more general thing with super-performance engines?

Sandy Eggo 09-09-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drjavid (Post 150217)
Thanks to another thread, I saw too many pictures of F355s that had caught fire and were totally destroyed. Is there a mechanical tendency specific to this model? Or is this a more general thing with super-performance engines?

There was a fuel-block recall issued about 18 months ago. An improperly positioned hose clamp could eventually saw it's way through the fuel lines and send fuel spraying everywhere leading to almost immediate fire.

The recall was issued after a local San Diego F355 owner had perished due to this fault. :(

Likely, most of the fires you've seen or read about are due to this deficiency. F355 owners...if you haven't had the recall tended to...GET ON IT!!! If you're not sure if yours has been done - post a decent pic here of your engine bay and I can tell you in 5 seconds.

angus 09-11-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo (Post 150218)
post a decent pic here of your engine bay and I can tell you in 5 seconds.


Any chance you can outline what is done on this recall?

Sandy Eggo 09-11-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus (Post 150431)
Any chance you can outline what is done on this recall?

Fuel block is replaced which helps move the fuel hoses just incrementally out of the way of the decklid hinges and coolant hose clamps to avoid chafing.

Here's the kit you can get for free and installed for free from the dealer...or you can buy it from Ricambi and do it yourself if you're reasonably competent.

Ferrari Parts : 70001495 : 70001495 F355 Fuel Block Recall Kit

There is a PDF on the Ricambi listing which describes the work, etc.

voila 09-24-2011 08:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo (Post 150218)
There was a fuel-block recall issued about 18 months ago. An improperly positioned hose clamp could eventually saw it's way through the fuel lines and send fuel spraying everywhere leading to almost immediate fire.

The recall was issued after a local San Diego F355 owner had perished due to this fault. :(

Likely, most of the fires you've seen or read about are due to this deficiency. F355 owners...if you haven't had the recall tended to...GET ON IT!!! If you're not sure if yours has been done - post a decent pic here of your engine bay and I can tell you in 5 seconds.

5,4,3,2,1.. ;)

Thanks for having a look. I've been curious.

The first picture didn't show the sides, maybe you're looking for something in that area. The second is a little blurry, apologies, it shows a horizontal view.

Thank you Sandy Eggo !

Sandy Eggo 09-24-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voila (Post 152258)
5,4,3,2,1.. ;)

Thanks for having a look. I've been curious.

The first picture didn't show the sides, maybe you're looking for something in that area. The second is a little blurry, apologies, it shows a horizontal view.

Thank you Sandy Eggo !

I believe yours has been done.

angus 09-25-2011 01:29 PM

My car had a leak due to deteriorated o-rings in the fuel hose ends, it almost looks like the rubber o-rings were the wrong material...

Sandy Eggo 09-25-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus (Post 152368)
My car had a leak due to deteriorated o-rings in the fuel hose ends, it almost looks like the rubber o-rings were the wrong material...

IIRC, the recall kit provides for new o-rings.

voila 09-26-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo (Post 152277)
I believe yours has been done.

Thank you.

saw1998 10-01-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angus (Post 152368)
My car had a leak due to deteriorated o-rings in the fuel hose ends, it almost looks like the rubber o-rings were the wrong material...


Angus:

Are you in the US or UK? If the UK, do they also add (10%) ethanol to your pump gas

angus 10-01-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saw1998 (Post 153146)
Angus:

Are you in the US or UK? If the UK, do they also add (10%) ethanol to your pump gas

I am in canada, they do add ethanol to certain gas which I avoid buying.

However, the car came from the U.S. and who knows what gas others have used.

IF there is alcohol present then I am thinking the seals should be made from buna.

angus 10-01-2011 05:16 PM

Actually, the whole point of my story is that these cars can leak fuel from issues other than the hose being cut as outlined in the recall


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale