Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Trying to find Andrew's wiki link. Since I'm expecting this to be dry sump, right, thinking same as all.
1 warm to proper engine temps
2 take out stick, wipe, put in and take out noticing level.
3 turn off engine
4 repeat #2-3 within 30 seconds or so since the oil tends to go off the dip stick if too long. I actually do this about 3 times: 1, engine going, 2+3, after engine off < 1min.....but that's me.
- 30 seconds is a decent bench mark but if you waited a min. you would probalby be ok.
- engine off/on is a better test IMO as you get it both ways. The engine off was a safety requirement for people like me, but I live on the wild side.
- just below the bottom mark or about 1/4 the distance between the TOP and BOTTOM mark, then I would add 1/2 qt only, then repeat 1-4 again later.
- WAY below the bottom mark by 1/4 again, I'd add the entire qt.
- IF Near 1/2 way or more add nothing IMO.
Better to underfill a bit, and add as you go than over fill and mess it up.
Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Last edited by Granucci; 09-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.