Help needed...348 US Seat belt chime??? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
Help needed...348 US Seat belt chime???

Hey all you 348 US model owners out there....I need your auditory help….

Ok, for the last 2 weeks I have been having battery issues with my car. She kept going dead on me even when plugged on my Battery Tender and the times were 3 days, then 2 days, then overnight then 2 hours after being fully charged.

First thing I was going to do was…..I knew I had an alarm system from the 90’s on it that I never used but figured it could be the cause of the drain (Clifford junk). So I ripped it out of the car and reattached all the wires where they need to be (another long story). But once in a while from the first time I bought it last year, I would get a chime of some sorts like a beep, beep, beep, beep 4 or 5 times then would cut.

Now this only happened when the key was in the on position and sometimes when the car was on immediately after starting it or shutting it off but still in the accessory contact mode. I originally thought it was a confirmation on or off chime/beep for the alarm because it was intermittent. The reason I thought this was because a few years ago I bought an alarm that had an auto start on it for a manual car and I had to do a special sequence to engage the auto start while the car was running to fully ensure the car was in neutral, close the door while the car was running and then the car would shut off by itself knowing there was nobody inside and the car was actually in neutral (a good system by the way) but once the sequence activated before exiting the car, she beeped.

Anyways, I removed the alarm from the car, but the problem was and still is, she sometimes beeps……urghhh. Now I’m not talking about the annoying buzzer of the “Door is open and your key is in the ignition” sound.

Now the beep happens when I start the car SOMETIMES, and sometimes when the car is on when I take my seatbelt off, placed the hand brake on then open the door (car is still running) and in no specific order for when I exit the car to open the garage door, or run back in the house because I forgot something.

My 90 348 has the passive seat belts and it doesn’t work on my side (thank god because it’s annoying as hell) but the mouse is back at the safe position to actually clip my seatbelt and I’m thinking, is this the seat belt chime shit and the beep is only intermittent because my mouse doesn't work or is this another hidden part of the alarm that I have to go digging up into the dash even further to find? I would have looked higher into the dash but cant figure how to remove it and all the alarm components were in the center console down at my feet. Because if this is part of the car then I’m ok with it.

One last thing, I did replace my battery since it would no longer hold a charge for more than 2 hours.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6464; 08-29-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
I have a Mondial T and have no such chime. I as you ripped out every aftermarket alarm on both cars and might add, at great expense.

The one area I noticed after doing such was in the steering column as in some of these alarms interact with the ignition and/or even the entire wiring in that area. I'm no alarm expert, but in the 456, there even was some interaction with the turn signal as the complex items in that single electronic/mechanical unit can be perplexing to even a trained eye.

Cannot help but to say I have no such chirp, but not sure the T relates. I can only say the alarm and other items like some stereo inserts, are sometimes the work of trained monkeys even at the best of shops. [So as a rule I vote to rip it all out to stock...]

I suspect, you'll be able to re-trace the wiring again.

As for the belt mice, that is a place I always have problems in NOT working. I would really either check that area or find a way to bypass and have the ECU note it correctly, but then again one may beg to have further problems non-OEM stock messing about and might not be worth the effort.
My mice usually stop running due to tigh runners and a loosing of the path typically allows better runs.

Taz I believes has the wiring diagram, but not sure.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 08-29-2011 at 10:01 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

Granucci, what year is your Mondial?

So you are saying there is no seatbelt chime on your car??? Or just never heard one?

Do all Mondials and 348 have all the exact same insides as one another?

It is coming from the left bottom dash panel where there is a perforated circle.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #4 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

So this is what was provided to me by someone....

1) Door open, seat belt off - key set to on position only, engine not fired up yet, no beeps....turn key back to off position and I hear five soft beeps.

2) Door open, seat belt on - key set to on position only, engine not fired up yet, no beeps (same result as scenario # 1)

3) Door closed, seat belt off - key set to on position only, seven louder beeps than the five soft ones as described.

4) Door closed, seat belt off - fired up engine, seven loud beeps (same result as scenario # 3)

5) Door closed, seat belt on - fired up engine, NO BEEPS

It looks like the seven beeps are a "fasten your seat belt" reminder, and only beep when the door is closed and seat belt is off.

The five "softer" beeps come on after shut-off no matter what the situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I tried and got nothing on everything, I went for a ride at Timmies and reset my computers, had a coffee, waited then tried it and it didn't even chime ONCE.....crap.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #5 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner
Elite Member

So to remove the junk alarm I had to remove the seat to rewire the cut wires from the Clifford retard installer.

As well, I saw a Bosch relay that was plugged to the main white harness on the right of the sterring column when you are sitting in the drivers seat. I cut it because the wire colors didn't match the large white wire (I think its the starter) and the relay was attached to it then going to the alarm. I tried starting the car with the harness unplugged (thank god I can start the car with just the key and not have to depress the clutch when lying down on the floor on your back) and the car did nothing. So when I plugged it it started. So I was able to test removing the relay and everything still worked the same

So after that I put everything back together...well.....crap, I broke the ash tray part that connects to the center shift gate panel, so now I have a gap of about 1 cm......DAMN....I looked on Ruthland, table 125A part 40 # 62146600 and it was $244.17.....(enter swear words here). I'm sooo upset about breaking the ashtray contour.....

1st one is the alram....check this junk....to make matters worst, the alarm box, all the plug terminals on the box were named, power, sensor, lights, horn....etc...hahaha.....amateur alarm.

2nd one is the harness....the two white wires with the red stripes were in between the big white wire on the main plug on the right of the column.

3rd picture (enter swear words again) you can see the broken gap between the ashtray and gate plate. Now there are two holes as well, the top one was for the alarm confirmation light that wasn't even plugged and the second largest hole was a box with a dial, I guess a manual control because maybe remote technology was not up to par for Clifford, or they didn't have the technology yet....HAHAHA.

Either way, I'm left with a broken gap....im so upset, I look there all the time and I see it all the time....urghhhh....

~

Mario
Attached Images

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #6 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Magnum- Check with Robbie at Sticky-No-More and see if he has spares of either of those panels. He tries to pick up all the reasonably priced panels he can so he can offer an exchange service.

Also, there are plenty of those kinds of parts on E-Bay, once you rummage through 3000 seat cover and HID lighting ads.

Taz
Terry Phillips
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
Granucci, what year is your Mondial?
1990. The 1989 had none I'm almost certain. The 90-93 had manditory automatic seat restraints: Law. The seats are different on the first year of Ts.

I actually have a full set of front + rear tan seats in less than fair contidion but ok, that I'm trying to get rid of out of my garage, but last buyer wouldn't spring for the shipping costs of about $250!!!. I bought them by mistake thinking they would suffice, and neither will work. Fronts have different belt connection points and rears are wider as no automated retractors connecting to front seat's belts.

I most likely will donate to either our sponsor, free, exoticrecyling or ferrparts on a trip to Sacramento just to get my garage more in order

Quote:
So you are saying there is no seatbelt chime on your car??? Or just never heard one?

If there is/was I'm not aware. Only a key alarm if door opens. Could be broken, but FofSF would have had it fixed where I bought it, guessing, so I suspect not there. Requires further research.

Quote:
Do all Mondials and 348 have all the exact same insides as one another?

Good question: hmm

I suspect the electronics YES,

Mechanicals, would be a search but suspect they would be similar for the runners. Some how not sure of the door widths etc. and how that is similar for the T vs 348.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Owner

Cosmetics aside

Mario:

IF what I'm reading on that 'pro' alarm install, which 99% are NOT great installers, I'd really check the fuse box area.

Not exactly sure of the 348, but thinking can't be far off the Mondial T's fuse block problems.

Install clowns, make a mess of course of using existing power/fuse sources for their needs, and out the door you go. This is true of even 'better places', and no matter how pro-looking the wires, in-line fuse holders, in fancy colors etc they show someone, they are basically fussing in areas they have little ability.

1. they delaminate the sub printed structures typically due to heat.

2. they eventually create shorts if not worse.

3. Make sure to trace every wire that was touched as shorts are a major concern and a Ferrari-B-Q is only good when your insurance is paid up and there are plenty of witnesses

As a final note:
- IF anyone, fears their Ferrari/exotic may be stolen, like so what.
IF we are talking a Daytona or some very high end 250 GTO or something [Admiral's Mondial 500] then you probably have adequate safeguards, insurance etc. to take the hit.
- Ferraris will probably not be wanted back after a heist, unless very rare and
- in this area/small community, good luck fencing it. IF it's cut up, well, it's cut up well before the alarm would protect.
- Let them take it: Getting another with insurance is better than the crappy alarms that actually serve no purpose.

- I even have, a LOJACK in the 456, which if I ever can find it, will be jerked out.

Thing is IMO, the bling of alarms, and inserted door locking mechanisms is a great distraction to the real running of these rather touchy systems: Leave them off. But that's my opinion. I know I've taken care of a few very annoying problems by jerking them all out. This includes the Trunk opening system, door lock system, alarms system via the 456 key fob which was a PITA.

HELL< I've even jerked out the multi-CD changer, amp, RADIO!!! to boot. My cell's internet 'radio' connections via blutooth to the interior speakers is far and above any AM/FM/CD/iPod today and more to my liking. I get clear play to choice from places I would only get via XM etc.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode