Seeking Advice from 308 Owners - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Seeking Advice from 308 Owners

I have wanted a 308 GTS for a long time, and only last week I finally got to drive one.

It was a GTS carb version, very original, with a few things falling off but not too bad for 30 yrs old. it ran well, the noise from the carbs was unbelievable, and the power and the grearbox were great.

I was very shocked at the heaviness of the steering. It was not possible to turn the wheel when stationbary, and even when rolling slowly, the effort required was, to my mind, unacceptable. I realise that 308s do not have power steering, but are they normally as heavy as this, or does this one have a steering issue.

I hope it has, 'cause otherwise it's put me right off 308s.

I would appreciate any comments from owners please

regards

Bernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Its a trait of most non-power steering assisted Ferraris. Tire pressure does play a factor but not much. Non standard tires can also increase the hard to turn feeling at low speeds. I've never had an issue though with anything other than crawling along like you would to pull into a parking space. The idea is the faster you go the easier it is to steer.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #3 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Definitely does not sound right to me. It will be heavy at low speeds but not that bad and it will lighten up nicely as soon as you start moving.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
The more I drive mine the less I notice. Unless I turn around and hop in to a car with power steering, then you realize the difference. I have found that moving the car just a little helps turn the wheel a lot.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 47
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmurph View Post
I have wanted a 308 GTS for a long time, and only last week I finally got to drive one.

It was a GTS carb version, very original, with a few things falling off but not too bad for 30 yrs old. it ran well, the noise from the carbs was unbelievable, and the power and the grearbox were great.

I was very shocked at the heaviness of the steering. It was not possible to turn the wheel when stationbary, and even when rolling slowly, the effort required was, to my mind, unacceptable. I realise that 308s do not have power steering, but are they normally as heavy as this, or does this one have a steering issue.

I hope it has, 'cause otherwise it's put me right off 308s.

I would appreciate any comments from owners please

regards

Bernie
I guess it depends on what you consider heavy. Compared to my fathers 53 ford or 58 Buick with manual steering the 308 is pretty easy. It is a little harder at walk speeds but while driving is not a problem. This didn't even come into play when I bought my 77. If you want to improve it just spend a few weeks at the gym and work on the arms and shoulders. LOL
post #6 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
On mine, for me, at 40+ mph I think it’s about perfect…well maybe a bit light at 120+. In reverse in a parking lot it practically turns itself, but going forward at parking speed the steering requires some effort.

I do some autocross racing from time to time and the first time I took the 308 I made the mistake of wearing my watch. Why is that a mistake you ask? I bruised the shit out of my arms yanking on the steering wheel in the hand over hand tight and relatively low speed turns. That was really the first time I’d even noticed just how hard I pull on the wheel at lower speeds.

Personally I like the feel you get from a manual steering system and I’m happy to work a little harder at low speeds to have it. I can also understand that not everyone would feel that way and it’s one of the reasons my wife won’t drive the 308 which is one more reason to like it…..did I say that out loud?
post #7 of 16 Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Make sure the car moves forward or backward-even slightly while turning the wheels. It is that easy. Stationary, you are fighting the wheel. But, again, moving slightly lessens the stiffness enough to make it easy. Don't stay still and turn the wheel extremely far. That's working against yourself.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Mine lightens up a lot with a little bit of movement. I really dont even notice it to be honest....

PDG
post #9 of 16 Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Think of it as a money saving opportunity. Parallel park three times per week, and you can cancel your gym membership.

A squealing tire is a happy tire...
post #10 of 16 Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Thanks to all for your comments.

Last Sunday I got to drive an immaculate '79, and boy was it a revelation.

Yes the steering was a little heavy, but actually quite good, and it matched the other control just fine.

I'm in love again, and really relieved. I'm back in the market

The original car I drove must have been complete rubbish

Bernie
post #11 of 16 Old 10-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
Think left/right uppercuts

Before we got 308s to drive we had v12s that car mags said steered like trucks under 20mph,which is funny cause no Owner goes 20mph very long in a v12 Ferrari.It helps to steer Ferrari with hands @ 4 oclock and 8 oclock and to push up with one shoulder and pull w/ the other one.This means palms up not down like when your hands are at 10 & 2.Try reclining the seat back,you geta better angle to push and pull the angled wheel.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
Good idea to test drive a few more and you will soon become aware of what are good cars and which ones aren't.

Good luck in the search.

MB
post #13 of 16 Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBFerrari View Post
Good idea to test drive a few more and you will soon become aware of what are good cars and which ones aren't.

Good luck in the search.

MB
Excellent advice!

post #14 of 16 Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
i actually had a similar experience when i test drove a tr. put me off them. since then i have driven "right" tr's and i'm back on. Very important to drive several. A bad example of any car is not representative. The hard steering on my 328 is it's best handling attribute. I love it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #15 of 16 Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
On the freeway the 308 handles like it is on rails and will go wherever you want it to with a flick of the wrist. In a parking lot the 308 handles like a dump truck.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #16 of 16 Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,859
Bernie- Sounds like that car may need some maintenance in the front end. You should be able to turn the wheel with effort even when she is sitting still. I just did it with my 575M with the engine off and no power steering when I installed new shifter paddles. Of course, that was on concrete, which makes it easier.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode