348 cracked paint around C-pilar/buttress - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
348 cracked paint around C-pilar/buttress

Hello,

For the moment, I'm looking to buy a 348.
Now I've already done alot of reserch about this Ferrari.
Now it seems that most TB and TS models would have a weak spot around the c-pilar/butress wich causes cracked paint... Eventually...

Do all TB and TS models have this problem?

And what about the 348 spider? I suppose that this problem doesn't occur with the spider?

All comment are welcome!

Greetings from Belgium
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Welcome: Honestly, that's the first I've heard of a C-pillar problem.

The TS I knew of the A-pillar/Windshield sealing problem over time as the Spider having sealing issues too.

The most common issue regarding front sealing is from weather damage to the 'rubber'/soft seal baking in the Sun etc. The seals are a bit on the steep side but relatively an easy fix to replace.

Spiders have more issues due to the up/down mechanics of the cover, but typically fair well .... most spiders/cabriolets have their tops down much more than ever up so the only factors are less pliability, creases, and rear window cosmetics.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Welcome: Honestly, that's the first I've heard of a C-pillar problem.

The TS I knew of the A-pillar/Windshield sealing problem over time as the Spider having sealing issues too.

The most common issue regarding front sealing is from weather damage to the 'rubber'/soft seal baking in the Sun etc. The seals are a bit on the steep side but relatively an easy fix to replace.

Spiders have more issues due to the up/down mechanics of the cover, but typically fair well .... most spiders/cabriolets have their tops down much more than ever up so the only factors are less pliability, creases, and rear window cosmetics.

Thx for the reply...

Well I found already some topics on the internet regarding the C pilar/buttress problem:

355 Berlinetta cracks - FerrariChat.com
348 C pillar (buttress) paint cracks - FerrariChat.com

It should be a know problem for as well the 348 and 355 coupe and targa models...
So after reading this, I'm a bit scared of buying a 348 TB or TS...
Maybe I don't have to be?

Maybe any 348 owners here on the forum that can confirm or deny this "problem"?

Many thanks!

post #4 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_DS View Post
Thx for the reply...

Well I found already some topics on the internet regarding the C pilar/buttress problem:

355 Berlinetta cracks - FerrariChat.com
348 C pillar (buttress) paint cracks - FerrariChat.com

It should be a know problem for as well the 348 and 355 coupe and targa models...
So after reading this, I'm a bit scared of buying a 348 TB or TS...
Maybe I don't have to be?

Maybe any 348 owners here on the forum that can confirm or deny this "problem"?

Many thanks!
As you know any car will experience a few issues, especially road rash, front spoiler and hood chips etc.

Both mine have that, albeit the older one, has less which I've never figured out.

I was not aware of the cracking. However, based on the reasons via the links, I feel it is still a bit up in the air as to truly how that happens. Both the 348/355 are engine out examples, but typically well supported when that engine is out. Perhaps some shops didn't bolster them correctly when then engine was out.

I believe any good example will last you in time. But the many here who have a 348/355 will chime in better.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As you know any car will experience a few issues, especially road rash, front spoiler and hood chips etc.

Both mine have that, albeit the older one, has less which I've never figured out.

I was not aware of the cracking. However, based on the reasons via the links, I feel it is still a bit up in the air as to truly how that happens. Both the 348/355 are engine out examples, but typically well supported when that engine is out. Perhaps some shops didn't bolster them correctly when then engine was out.

I believe any good example will last you in time. But the many here who have a 348/355 will chime in better.

It's a bit of a strange problem, but it seems that different cars have the problem...

So I am curious about getting some feedback from 348 owners here... If anybody had this problem on their 348?
It would really help me in deciding wich 348 I should get (TB, TS, Spider)
post #6 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_DS View Post
It's a bit of a strange problem, but it seems that different cars have the problem...

So I am curious about getting some feedback from 348 owners here... If anybody had this problem on their 348?
It would really help me in deciding wich 348 I should get (TB, TS, Spider)

Well as a quick side note. In my case the 456 does not have that problem at all, but front engined, so doesn't fit in their scenario.

The Mondial T is a Cabriolet so closely atune to the 355 spider: It has no issues, and has had a major at least three times with me and into many miles and would/is certainly older than any 348/355 spider.

Therefore, I would expect any spider 348/355 not to have that issue.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #7 of 16 Old 06-18-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well as a quick side note. In my case the 456 does not have that problem at all, but front engined, so doesn't fit in their scenario.

The Mondial T is a Cabriolet so closely atune to the 355 spider: It has no issues, and has had a major at least three times with me and into many miles and would/is certainly older than any 348/355 spider.

Therefore, I would expect any spider 348/355 not to have that issue.

Yes, I would also think that the 348 and 355 spiders would not have this problem...
Just a shame that the 348 spider is quite more expensive than the TB or TS models

But I would very much like to get some input from 348 TB and TS owners here, what their tought are about the "problem"
Maybe not all TB and TS models experience this problem?
post #8 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

No 348 owners here???
post #9 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Its my understanding that the cracking your are discussing is a larger problem for the TB models as chassis flex stress is transmitted through the roof panel and C pillar forcing any flex to be concentrated at the buttress. My TS has some very minor imperfections at the joint but are barely perceptible and only to those that know the car (me). I believe the TS model flex is absorbed by the chassis itself. I've seen some fairly bad cracking on my buddies 355TB. It was a paint issue only, no underlying issue was found when he fixed it. Spider's don't have the problem at all because they have no C pillar. Problem with spiders is your not allowed on track for anything more aggressive than a parade lap unless you install a roll bar.

Hope that helps
Lane

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #10 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
This is very common the 348 and 355. The paint would crack when you remove the engine to do a service. The rear engine cage is the rear frame of the car. This does not me that the car has a problem. This was a factory design flaw. The cars are still great.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Owner

Hmmmm.... I hadn't heard that before. Cracks with the Engine out you say. I suppose you know more about it than I do but it seems strange. The cars were originally painted with the engine out.

Lane

post #12 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 768
The rear section is very weak when rear engine cage is out. The quarters tended to flex. This is a very common problem. I have serviced many ferrari's with this problem.The cracking of the paint is were the c pillar and fender are joined. If they were one one piece , this would not happen. 308 ferrari's had the same cracking problem on the c pillar. it would crack the paint with the engine in the car. Again, because of two separate panels. Many people with 308 would run a beed of silicone along the joining line so you would never see the crack.
Thanks
post #13 of 16 Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everybody!
Realy helps...

Well for the moment I'm just looking at spiders, as they do not have that problem...
But I have read that spider tops are known for leaking?
I supose that the problem there are the rubber seals? And by replacing them with new ones, that the problem is fixed?

Any spider owners here, that can say something about that?

Many thanks!
post #14 of 16 Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 AM
Owner

FYI...the TS tops leak also.

Lane

post #15 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX A View Post
308 ferrari's had the same cracking problem on the c pillar. it would crack the paint with the engine in the car. Again, because of two separate panels. Many people with 308 would run a beed of silicone along the joining line so you would never see the crack.
Thanks
This is the first I've ever heard of that. I've never seen a 308 that didn't have that bead of silicone along the bottom of the c pillar. As such, I thought that was done at the factory.

In addition to the TBs abd TS, I've also seen the cracking issue on 355 GTSs. So I'm a bit confused, is it a result of chassis flexing from driving or servicing?

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #16 of 16 Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Owner

The main claim seems to be the cracking comes from the engine out service as ALEX states from his experience. Possibly secondary from use flexing [I find this one a bit fetched] and/or as mentioned just a design flaw.

Since the science is flawed at this time other than ancillary experiences, I have to spur the debate a bit further:
- My similar, older model, is perhaps better reinforced for being a true Cabriolet and thus almost like the spider, BUT the cab is longer and heavier than a spider so I would wonder how a two seater, more geared for racing, example would be more flawed than the Cab in flexing or engine out service. My cab has had the engine out at least three times by me, and exhibits no cracking. like said...just stirring the debate, and not rejecting the first hand experiences.

- I suggested it might be due to poor engine out bolstering: Perhaps so, but mine has had the engine out for almost 18months now [ ] and no cracking yet...won't probably get then engine in for another six-eight months min. It is now resting on rear struts and front wheels, as the lifts are constantly being used: I expect it to not be an issue.

- so, to surmise, the flaw must somewhat reside with the two models in question and the spiders/cabs are so well reinforced as to not be a problem.

IF there be a problem then all would experience it and thus, IMO, not an issue unless buying it brand new which is impossible.

so, to the OP: Not an issue. It is a known item and must just be addressed. IF you like that car, it is the one to get. IF you don't like that car...you'll find one that is more suited.

un, mia dos centavos [as you can see I do not speak ze language]

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode