Stock exhaust on 328. - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 357
Stock exhaust on 328.

is it possible to loose performance if the exhaust on my 328 ages, could it build-up rust inside causing blockages.

I'm thinking of replacing with a Tubi, any thoughts ?

Rgds
Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
is it possible to loose performance if the exhaust on my 328 ages, could it build-up rust inside causing blockages.

I'm thinking of replacing with a Tubi, any thoughts ?

I guess anything is possible but I'd be more worried about the cat clogging up than the exhaust. I'm speaking in general terms since I'm not an expert on 328 exhuast even though I own one.

I have heard complaints about the 328s making sort of an old VW noise that originates from the tips. I've seen where guys have put a round sheet metal tube press fit inside the tips to cover all the little holes in the tips and makes them sound much better.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #3 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Tubi / larini

hi,.Brett here...i wanted to tell you that i have had a Tubi on my 328 for 12 years..and just last year..i installed a Larini test pipe in place of the cat...im not sure if you would like it,,im very happy with that set up...my car sounds really good,,,not quite as good as a 355,,but along those lines,,,an added benefit,,,is that my car actually runs 18 degrees cooler..making me wish i had the test pipe in 12 years ago,.because of the added engine life that i might have gained,,my car has 88k miles,,,and still pulls and runs like it did with 20k when i bought it,,,now im hoping to gain some additional engine life due to lower operating temps,,,,good luck with your car,,,,,after a while,,maybe on here .,i can post a video of my car.,.and you can hear the sound,,anyways..thx...

post #4 of 11 Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Owner

post #5 of 11 Old 06-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
an alternative to the test pipe is a hyperflow cat. relatively inexpensive (only one) and easy to install. Likely all you will get from exhaust modifications is a change in sound. Not a noticeable increase in hp. I have a hyperflow and tubi on my 328 and i have mixed feelings about it. The sound is good, specially at higher rpm. But i have to live with an annoying resonance in the most used rpm bandwith. Also, the "VW" sound coming from the exhaust is a myth. My car makes the same sound. I was told by a very good ferrari mechanic, the "whizzing" sound actually comes from the drop down gears if i remember correctly.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Owner

thanx for the info Lucca, I don't know about the cooler running engine, to cool is also not good,

I like the clip, sounds awesome !

Rgds
Johnny
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Owner

tubi / temp

cooler is better when your driving in city traffic,,and when the car is shut down,,,there is less heat to dissapate...thats the heat the screws with the motor.,,,,the heat under the engine cover,,,,now,,today i went through the tunnel thats under LAX airport,,,,MAN THE TUBI / LARINI PIPE SCREAMS,,,IT SOUNDED SO GOOD,,I WISH I HAD MY VIDEO CAM,,,,you should go with the set up i have....you will be totally STOKED,,i mean it,,,and you could show off driving through streets lined with cafe s....its not as loud as a 355...but its good enough...im getting ready to do another in car camera video in my car...ill be sure and end it..by going through that tunnel full song...my car sounds better than the 308 in the you tube video,....the Larini is 180.00 from Ferr Parts...let me know if you wna buy it,,i know the guy..ill make sure you get a good deal,,i paid 2150 for the tubi 12 years ago,,,,its gone up,,,im sure of that,...by how much,,i dont know,,good luck.,...Brett
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Owner

I hear you ! if I buy a tubi how do they fit the Larini pipe ? I've notice a modification on my cat, think they've put a blank in, apparently a safety feature (upgrade)

yeah, make a video and avi/mkv it and send it to me or just put it on Dropbox:
http://www.dropbox.com/link/20.cGe0t...eferrals_bulk9

thanks !

Rgds
Johnny
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Owner

cat / tubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace101 View Post
I hear you ! if I buy a tubi how do they fit the Larini pipe ? I've notice a modification on my cat, think they've put a blank in, apparently a safety feature (upgrade)

yeah, make a video and avi/mkv it and send it to me or just put it on Dropbox:
http://www.dropbox.com/link/20.cGe0t...eferrals_bulk9

thanks !
the Tubi exhaust is a direct replacement for the stock muffler, it bolts right in,,,all you do is buy a Larini test pipe for a 328 and it bolts right up. where the cat was .no problem...my mech did it in ten minutes the test pipe even has the sensor fittings on it,thats why i like it compared to others,,,you might need 2 new donut gaskets like i did,,,but thats normal....you shouldnt have any problems....the next warm early sunday morning ill make a new video,,,here is my old one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqge5faJVUU
post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Owner

K n N

dont forget the K & N air filter...it makes the motor have somewhat of an induction sound,,,and it flows air pretty good as well...
post #11 of 11 Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Guys. thanx for the insights, this is very usefull, Brett can't wait to see that video - how it sounds.

cheers
John

Rgds
Johnny

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode