Thinking of selling my 308 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Thinking of selling my 308

I'm thinking of selling my 1978 308 GTS and would prefer to give an enthusiast an opportunity before I advertise it openly. Nothing against the general public mind you, but I'd like to see it go to an appreciative home. This is the only forum that I frequent and judging by the classified ads here, it may not--- errrrr---well, you know---be the hottest place to sell the car. So I could use some advice on where to start and how much to ask--although I've pretty much decided it should be worth about $25K.
The car: 1978 308GTS, 62,xxx miles. Black on black, with recent correctly reupholstered seats. Runs like a Ferrari should--neither burns nor leaks any oil, holds good oil pressure, does not overheat, runs and starts like a top, all instruments work (even the clock), power windows work, but are slow. I chose the carb version because I enjoy working on cars and it lends it self well to that. The downside is that I don't have a pile of service receipts because I do all of my own work, as did the previous owner. I have a used set of belts and tensioners and a single valve shim and prima facia proof of maintenance plus a couple of new sets of valve cover gaskets, oil seals, etc. in anticipation of the next belt service, but that's about it. My belt change experience is on record in the 308 section of this forum.
It is not critical that I sell the car, but I sure could use the room and would appreciate any and all advice.
Thanks,
l.a.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Whatever your reasons may be, seems like you are set on your path. Sounds like your car has been well cared for, thus it should be a matter of time to find a new home. Good luck with your endeavor. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I have forward the details to a friend in the US who might be interested.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Leland-
For what it's worth, I think you may be a little light at 25k. I gave 24K for my 1978 GTS 3 years ago and have maybe given it similar attention. I'd ask closer to 30k and if I had to might go 27k if deal was right.Not, mind you that I'm thinking of selling but this is what I've told my wife for "just in case" .In our area, there's no dealers so either a buyer uses due diligence and takes your word or it's not a good deal for either.I am sorry I've never gotten over your way to see yours and compare mine yet but life keeps getting in the way. Best of luck, bill ward
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

First: Boxer, thanks for passing the info along. I wasn't trying to give anybody a sales pitch but if anyone is interested it might be best to just give me a call at 208-476-9573. Giving a complete description of a Ferrari, any Ferrari, would take about fifty pages of written text and I'm afraid my hands would fall off before I finished.

Second: Bill--it is not sold yet!! There is still a chance our paths will cross, although it sounds like you are still under water over there. High water is definitely not conducive to a Ferrari with about 5" ground clearance!
You are dead right about not having a dealer or even a competent mechanic around being a potential problem. I'm sure that we both did our own PPIs and things worked out well, but not everyone is confident doing that. Guess I'll have to worry about crossing that bridge when I come to it. You are probably right about the price too. I paid $23,500 for my car, and will never sell it for less. On the other hand, I didn't buy it with the intention of making money on the car. I bought it to enjoy, and it has served me very well in that respect. By the way, did you ever get your mismatched cam covers and timing belt mystery solved?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Leland-
Nope still don't know why my cam covers don't match. Are your matched? both polished or in the rough? As to timing belt issues, I've added rock guards to protect belts from gravel. Too soon to say but so far so good. Do you know if Lolo is drivable? I've heard it's tore up. Maybe I can slip away for a day or two this summer. Bill
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Surprise surprise! My cam covers are dissimilar in exactly the same way yours are--the rear one is rough and the front one (closest to the front of the car, that is) is polished smooth. My serial number is 24419. I"m confident that mine are originals and it would be fun to find out just how many cars came that way.

OKAY EVERYBODY--GO AND LOOK!

A letter to the editor in today's Lewiston paper said that Lolo Pass road was pretty rough and blamed it on the "megaloads". Regardless, it sure is a shame. When travelling east there is a sign on US12 that says, "Curves next 121 Miles" and it makes me break out in a cold sweat-- which makes my dear wife a little nervous! I've only done it once in the 308, but several times in the Mini and it is always a trip to remember. Hope they get it fixed soon.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland View Post
Surprise surprise! My cam covers are dissimilar in exactly the same way yours are--the rear one is rough and the front one (closest to the front of the car, that is) is polished smooth. My serial number is 24419. I"m confident that mine are originals and it would be fun to find out just how many cars came that way.

OKAY EVERYBODY--GO AND LOOK!

A letter to the editor in today's Lewiston paper said that Lolo Pass road was pretty rough and blamed it on the "megaloads". Regardless, it sure is a shame. When travelling east there is a sign on US12 that says, "Curves next 121 Miles" and it makes me break out in a cold sweat-- which makes my dear wife a little nervous! I've only done it once in the 308, but several times in the Mini and it is always a trip to remember. Hope they get it fixed soon.

I am a UofI alum. go Vandals.

That Lewston grade is an awsome drive. Not a Pikes peak adventure but very fun as I remember it. Matter of fact all through OR to tri-citys onto Moscow was very fun and if enough time up to CDL lake and into Montana.

I'm guessing it's a steel body. And as Bill, I would bump that a bit. I owned a 3-year old BMW 1600, early 1970, in Idaho for about three years, and know it can sometimes be a challenge in that area. Having said that I also know there are many Ferrari owners there, to include my racing next door neighbor who now has two near you.

I would, if set on selling, frequent any/all valid/well-known Ferrari sites. This is NOT a bad place to list.

Could be a quick sell or will take time. Never truly know.

I would list it here, and start the buzz agoing.

rik

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #9 of 9 Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
buzz is already going, I am talking to Leland already!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode