308 GTS - the searching commences - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
308 GTS - the searching commences

I've started to look around to get a feel for the market for a 308 GTS. Still leaning towards an early carb model. GBP 25 - 30K seems to be asking prices at present (in the UK - my most likely market) - though what this equates to in terms of actual prices paid is yet to be discovered.

It will be a couple of months before I'm in a position to buy, and I'm in no hurry so will happily wait for the right car. At present I think that the right car will be a Rosso Corsa, Crema/Tan interior, 308 GTS (as original as possible) and with all the usual history, condition, PPI checked out etc.

Here's one that recently went up on pistonheads.co.uk in the UK that caught my eye. All comments welcome.
Ferrari : All Original 308 GTS

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
The carb'd ones are lovely, that noise they make is great. But the QV is also a great choice and performance-wise pretty much the same, don't discard it if you run into a good one.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
The one on the picture doesn't have a drysump lubrication system. Since you have the time and like the carbed 308, look for a drysump car. Just my humble opinion.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.

post #4 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post
The one on the picture doesn't have a drysump lubrication system. Since you have the time and like the carbed 308, look for a drysump car. Just my humble opinion.
+1, dry sump, and carbs are the way to go.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
be different and get a GTB!
I would if my 360 was a spider, but its not, and I've got the urge for the wind in my hair....

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #7 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
+1, dry sump, and carbs are the way to go.
Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone do a quick explanation of the differences between the 2 and the pros vs. cons for wet/dry sump?

post #8 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone do a quick explanation of the differences between the 2 and the pros vs. cons for wet/dry sump?
Dry sump means you keep the unpressurized return oil in a tank beside the engine. Wet sump means you keep the unpressurized return oil in a sump underneith the crankshaft case.

There are two major advantages with a dry sump:

1. The engine can be fitted much lower in the chassis as there is no wet sump underneith. The engine being the single most heavy part of a car means you get a substantially lower centre of gravity.

2. The oil completely exits the engine after a full lubrication cycle which provides for a lesser job to cool the oil.

Given these advantages, the dry sump solution is the preferred way to go for racing purposes and for car makers with a high ambition of performance. If you are going to track the car you are clearly better off with a dry sump. It is also a nice feeling when all the engineering of your car is made with performance in mind.

In general, if you track a sports car with wet sump lubrication you must make sure there are centrifugal bulkheads in the sump.

Salve,
Capo

post #9 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Dry sump means you keep the unpressurized return oil in a tank beside the engine. Wet sump means you keep the unpressurized return oil in a sump underneith the crankshaft case.

There are two major advantages with a dry sump:

1. The engine can be fitted much lower in the chassis as there is no wet sump underneith. The engine being the single most heavy part of a car means you get a substantially lower centre of gravity.

2. The oil completely exits the engine after a full lubrication cycle which provides for a lesser job to cool the oil.

Given these advantages, the dry sump solution is the preferred way to go for racing purposes and for car makers with a high ambition of performance. If you are going to track the car you are clearly better off with a dry sump. It is also a nice feeling when all the engineering of your car is made with performance in mind.

In general, if you track a sports car with wet sump lubrication you must make sure there are centrifugal bulkheads in the sump.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
True if cars are specifically designed for dry sump, but I don't think the engine placement on a dry sump 308 is any different than a wet sump 308.

It certainly isn't the case for the 512BB (dry sump) vs the 365BB (wet sump).

Apart from the cooling issue, dry sump also has the advantage of not risking oil starvation in high g-force corners. This is the main reason the 512BB went to dry sump, in my understanding.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
True if cars are specifically designed for dry sump, but I don't think the engine placement on a dry sump 308 is any different than a wet sump 308.

It certainly isn't the case for the 512BB (dry sump) vs the 365BB (wet sump).

Apart from the cooling issue, dry sump also has the advantage of not risking oil starvation in high g-force corners. This is the main reason the 512BB went to dry sump, in my understanding.

Onno
I don't know whether the dry sump 308 engine sits lower but I would assume so since the 308 was initially designed as a dry sump car, unless the gear box sits underneith the engine.

I believe it would make no difference on a boxer since the gear box sits under the engine anyway so the engine is going to sit high with or without a wet sump.

Centrifugal bulkheads in the sump nullify the risk of wet sump cornering starvation of oil supply.

Salve,
Capo

post #12 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
I don't know whether the dry sump 308 engine sits lower but I would assume so since the 308 was initially designed as a dry sump car, unless the gear box sits underneith the engine.

I believe it would make no difference on a boxer since the gear box sits under the engine anyway so the engine is going to sit high with or without a wet sump.

Centrifugal bulkheads in the sump nullify the risk of wet sump cornering starvation of oil supply.
The engine placement is the same wet or dry sump on a 308, and yes part of the gearbox is under the engine.

The wet sump 308s do have baffles in the sump but they aren't completely effective and oil starvation is a common complaint in heavy track use, particularly when slicks are being used. There is an aftermarket baffle enhancement that many are happy with, but still, for serious track use even this fails to maintain oil pressure.

This is all a complete non-issue for street or even mild track use though, and skipping the drysump requirement is a good way to cut the purchase price if the plan is to drive on the street IMO.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
To the best of my knowledge all GTS' had the wet sump whereas all Euro and UK GTB's with carbs had the dry sump. US and Australian GTB's with carbs had the wet sump. All went wet sump with the advent of fuel injection.

So if you want dry sump, Barry, go UK or Euro GTB with carbs...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode