328 GTB or 512 TR - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
328 GTB or 512 TR

I am thinking on buying my first Ferrari. I like especially the 328 and a 512 TR, and I have already seen both in official dealers in France (MY 1987 & 1994). As I am quite new on this, I would like to know some opinions on both cars, and especially on the maintenance costs.

I have read about the costs of removing the engine to replace the belt in the 512. Is this needed in all 512TR versions? Are the costs of the 512 something I should be worried about? (I am fine dealing with 2K / 3K a year, but I am not willing to spend much more on a regular yearly basis)

How are these two models considered from a future valuation perspective?

thanks in advance four your opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Based on your above criteria, I would suggest the 328. It will fit your budget, is a nice first Ferrari and is smaller than the 512TR and will feel easier to drive as a result. That and the design is timeless.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
The 328 is the safer bet. Maintenance is cheaper and it is a very robust car. Values are rising, too. But the 512 gives you more of the supercar "I'm feeling a million bucks" feeling, Values are not dropping but cars are a bit more difficult to sell. It will be more difficult to find a very good 512, in my opinion. All boxer engined Ferraris need the removal of the engine (so that is 365BB, 512BB, 512BBi. Testarossa, 512TR, 512M) for major service, but the removal of the engine is actually not very difficult on these cars and replacing the belts every 5 years should be enough. If you have a good TR, your budget should be enough. A bad one will go over it.

Both of them are a good first Ferrari. Good luck with your search!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 31 Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
The 328 is the safer bet. Maintenance is cheaper and it is a very robust car. Values are rising, too. But the 512 gives you more of the supercar "I'm feeling a million bucks" feeling, Values are not dropping but cars are a bit more difficult to sell. It will be more difficult to find a very good 512, in my opinion. All boxer engined Ferraris need the removal of the engine (so that is 365BB, 512BB, 512BBi. Testarossa, 512TR, 512M) for major service, but the removal of the engine is actually not very difficult on these cars and replacing the belts every 5 years should be enough. If you have a good TR, your budget should be enough. A bad one will go over it.

Both of them are a good first Ferrari. Good luck with your search!

Onno
+1, overall the 328 is going to be a safer bet as a first Ferrari. I would however suggest you take a look at F355s and 360 as they are currently not that far off in terms of prices and offer a very different driving experience. Of the four, your running costs are going to be less on the 328 & 360.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
i had this same dilemma for my first ferrari. The cars are very different animals. depends what you want to do with them. I ended up with the 328.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 31 Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 111
Based on your requirements, I would suggest a 328. I've never owned a 512 but have owned a 328 in the past and it was a wonderful car. They provide the right sounds and feel, have a classic Ferrari look, and the costs to maintain are quite reasonable. If you have some mechanical skills you can even do many maintenance items yourself, however your proposed maintenance budget is sufficient to have a 328 professionally maintained barring any catastrophic issues. Lastly 328's seem to be "aging" much more nicely than the 512 and are holding their value when properly cared for.

Good luck with the search.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

one other item to consider, should anything major go wrong on either car, it will be much less expensive to address on the 328.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Based on your above criteria, I would suggest the 328. It will fit your budget, is a nice first Ferrari and is smaller than the 512TR and will feel easier to drive as a result. That and the design is timeless.
+1

I went through the same exercise last year and I ended up adding a 328GTB to my stable. I track my car sometimes, and you find more 328 on the track than TR for a reason: 328 breaks and handles better.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
thanks for all comments

Your comments, my head, and probably my pocket, are telling me to go for the 328. But my heart is pushing hard to go for the 512 rosso corsa, insisting somehow to go directly to the main course

what a dilemma...
post #10 of 31 Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Why not start with a 328 and later on add a 512TR/M? The TR is like previously stated not a track car but a phenomenal long trip missile. IMO you should definitely start with the 328. It has the sporty nimble essence a Ferrari should have.

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #11 of 31 Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Only point against a 328: if you're over 6 foot it is very cramped in there, certainly with the roof on.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #12 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328GTB View Post
+1

I went through the same exercise last year and I ended up adding a 328GTB to my stable. I track my car sometimes, and you find more 328 on the track than TR for a reason: 328 breaks and handles better.
i just got banned from those thin skinned guys over ar FChat,,because of a heated discussion on 512 vs 328 handling,,stock from the factory,,after posting a you tube video of the top heavy boxer ..almost out of control on a slow speed bend,,,all the boxer guys got mad,,and some words were exchanged,,and wala,,a one day ban,,any ways im Brett,,just signed up,,,hope you guys are more down to earth,,and maybe even drive your cars,,,ive logged 68000 in my 89 328 GTS...im still trying to figure out how to finish my profile,,anyways,,,i do love the boxer,,,but a 328 handles better...like you said,,,take it easy,,
post #13 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
i just got banned from those thin skinned guys over ar FChat,,because of a heated discussion on 512 vs 328 handling,,stock from the factory,,after posting a you tube video of the top heavy boxer ..almost out of control on a slow speed bend,,,all the boxer guys got mad,,and some words were exchanged,,and wala,,a one day ban,,any ways im Brett,,just signed up,,,hope you guys are more down to earth,,and maybe even drive your cars,,,ive logged 68000 in my 89 328 GTS...im still trying to figure out how to finish my profile,,anyways,,,i do love the boxer,,,but a 328 handles better...like you said,,,take it easy,,
Welcome to FL, lucca. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Owner

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
thank you sir
post #15 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
+1. Welcome.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
Hello Lucca Brazzi:

This website is more respectful, and down-to-earth. That other site has lots of resources and information, but there is a cost....you have maintain political correctness and bow down to certain elitists. This site is a true community of people who all share the same passion. That other site is like walking into a boardroom meeting on a monday morning - your never quite sure what to expect. This site is where you go AFTER that boardroom meeting... :-)
post #17 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Quote:
I've driven quit a few Fcars on the track. The TRs oversteer and the 512BBI pushes, the 328 is a much more neutral handling car and yes, better brakes than the other two.

Lot of people came here after getting tired of the power trip of the mods and owner on the other site. Welcome, you'll find yourself much happier here.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #18 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Owner

thank you

thank you fellows,,,im hoping to have the same kind of fun here as i have on my motorcycle forum,,,,i dont feel so bad ..after reading your welcomes,...Brett
post #19 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Owner

328 verification

hey guys,,,how do i verify my 328 .,in order to post on the 328 forum,,,thx,,,Brett
post #20 of 31 Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
hey guys,,,how do i verify my 328 .,in order to post on the 328 forum,,,thx,,,Brett
Welcome to FL. I think you will find the atmosphere quite different here.

You should be able to post in the 328 section now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode