An interesting drive - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
An interesting drive

Today is an ideal day for a drive to keep the battery charged and to get all the fluids up to temperature. It rained the past few nights, washing the salt away and today is a dry sunny crisp clear day. A beautiful European Winter's day. So during lunch I slipped out to the 308's lair and fired her up.

Slowly we head out and the little berlinetta is like a grumpy child being dragged out of bed on a cold morning for school. Lumpy idle, not happy with tickling the throttle while keeping the revs down and keeping to the speed limit, and lumpy ride on cold gumballs.

Pull into a petrol station just off the beaten the track and a number of people seem to have the same idea about a great driving day. Spot a Fiat 124 spider, top down and a Ferrari 612 in black. Man that Ferrari is big but is aging gracefully (thanks perhaps to the FF?) and looks impressive in the rearview mirror with its wide gaping snout.

Car warm and on the open road. Five lanes each way, traffic light, sun shining. Great heater, move the slider down a notch. The grumpy child has been replaced by a supple smooth strong athletic animal. A first generation M3 is approaching fast in the left lane. Floor it and soon we are doing 190. The M3 sails past, must be going flat out. Keep the throttle burried and soon, very soon, the gap closes. We pass the M3 at 230 with 7000 on the revcounter. Still more to come but acceleration has tapered off and time to ease off. At 160 the BM sails past. Point made, affection and respect mingle in the pure driving pleasure of the moment. The F1 Cosworth scream is replaced by a creamy roar at 4000, an effortless cruise. Surprisingly comfortable ride, little windnoise but occasional rattle from the large fiberglass rear deck. The little red racing car makes a suprisingly good GT.

The GTB is smoother than ever, water temp remains below a third, oil temp just off the minimum mark. Back to the garage and the radiator fans kick in silently and smoothly as the water temp moves to just below half during the slow drive from the highway back to her lair.

Oh to be taking her for a blast on FLED4! Oh well there will be other times. Both car and driver looking forward to getting back to the twisties soon. Alps in the Summer anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Beautifully written piece of literature, Vitalone ! Almost poetic, indeed. Cannot believe you have roads to go that fast, and no caution for police ? Envy, pure envy. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks Jimmy! Plenty of caution but the sun was shining, the car was warm and the traffic light...And if anyone asks I was driving on the nearby German autobahn, derestricted zone.

post #4 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Sounds wonderful Vitalone. Just wonderful. A perfect way to to spend a Friday afternoon. Great start to the weekend

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Man that Ferrari is big but is aging gracefully (thanks perhaps to the FF?) and looks impressive in the rearview mirror with its wide gaping snout.
I must add though, that I read the above line - and what I read in my mind was...

Man in Ferrari is big but is aging gracefully (thanks perhaps to the FF?) and looks impressive in the rearview mirror with wide gaping snout.

Took me a couple of goes before the brain got it right... but made sense then. Funny what a long day in the office can to do you...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #6 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Today is an ideal day for a drive to keep the battery charged and to get all the fluids up to temperature. It rained the past few nights, washing the salt away and today is a dry sunny crisp clear day. A beautiful European Winter's day. So during lunch I slipped out to the 308's lair and fired her up.

Slowly we head out and the little berlinetta is like a grumpy child being dragged out of bed on a cold morning for school. Lumpy idle, not happy with tickling the throttle while keeping the revs down and keeping to the speed limit, and lumpy ride on cold gumballs.

Pull into a petrol station just off the beaten the track and a number of people seem to have the same idea about a great driving day. Spot a Fiat 124 spider, top down and a Ferrari 612 in black. Man that Ferrari is big but is aging gracefully (thanks perhaps to the FF?) and looks impressive in the rearview mirror with its wide gaping snout.

Car warm and on the open road. Five lanes each way, traffic light, sun shining. Great heater, move the slider down a notch. The grumpy child has been replaced by a supple smooth strong athletic animal. A first generation M3 is approaching fast in the left lane. Floor it and soon we are doing 190. The M3 sails past, must be going flat out. Keep the throttle burried and soon, very soon, the gap closes. We pass the M3 at 230 with 7000 on the revcounter. Still more to come but acceleration has tapered off and time to ease off. At 160 the BM sails past. Point made, affection and respect mingle in the pure driving pleasure of the moment. The F1 Cosworth scream is replaced by a creamy roar at 4000, an effortless cruise. Surprisingly comfortable ride, little windnoise but occasional rattle from the large fiberglass rear deck. The little red racing car makes a suprisingly good GT.

The GTB is smoother than ever, water temp remains below a third, oil temp just off the minimum mark. Back to the garage and the radiator fans kick in silently and smoothly as the water temp moves to just below half during the slow drive from the highway back to her lair.

Oh to be taking her for a blast on FLED4! Oh well there will be other times. Both car and driver looking forward to getting back to the twisties soon. Alps in the Summer anyone?
I love reading these posts. Just makes you want to get out and drive.

Glad the 308 Michalone is treating you well.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
I'm jealous, Vitalone! But I suppose I have a little more waiting to do. Back in the land of plenty in March, we'll take the GTC out for a spin and hopefully the Boxer too (I say hopefully because it has to go to the UK first for MoT, tax and insurance)!

Just great to read this 308 is so well-loved.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 25 Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
I can see in my imaginationm those unbelievable golden wheels on your car moving past that "contender"! Great write up.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen! The Michalone gets better the more and the further I drive her. A real hardcore driving Ferrari that makes a surprisingly good GT. Although she really comes into her own on the twists and turns.

Onno, it will be a treat to see and hear the GTC in March. And the 365BB, one of the most exciting and most musical cars I have had the privilege of enjoying. Also look forward to hearing your driving impressions of the Michalone.

Boxer and 212Export (and Jimmy I hope) have a wonderful FLED 4 and I look forward to our meeting up for further adventures on FLED 5 in the Summer.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx for keeping my name in there, Vitalone. I am flattered.

It is so great to see that you know how to treat this "lady" well to keep her happy. Now there's a true gentleman with panache and style.
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 25 Old 03-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Owner

It seems you went for an interesting drive again yesterday, Vitalone! You know you can't hide from us....

So cool to chance upon your amazing 308. Judging by the comments, she was very well received indeed!!

Ferrari 308 GTB - Autogespot

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #12 of 25 Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Awesome! Thanks for posting the link Onno! I am delighted with the Michalone's looks and even more delighted with the driving thrills she serves up.

Indeed the sun came out on Sunday and so took the Michalone for a drive to Laren close to Hilversum. Fabulous town and enjoyed koffee verkeerd in the sun in the company of a good friend with his Jag XJ6C (complete with new tyres. Tail-out antics of the Jag when we drove to Brummen, Onno, due to tyres dating back apprarently to 1983!)

The Michalone gets better the more we drive. Once warm, so smooth effortless and very comfortable ride on the balloon tyres. The mid range pull is really impressive, particularly from 160-190.

Heading back to Amsterdam and this white van pulls past with a dude leaning out taking pics and we exchanged a mutual thumbs up. Unlike the 911, the Michalone seems generally to generate a lot of goodwill.

Here's to some good drives this Summer!
post #13 of 25 Old 03-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Owner

The GTC is unfortunately not ready this weekend yet, Lord of the Gold Rims. End of next week, Alex said this morning.

But I will be in town from 10:30 Saturday morning and the 550 is up for some antics. Seems Saturday is going to be nice weather, if you can believe the weather report....

We should find somewhere nice to drive to - perhaps take a drive through West Friesland? There are a couple of nice dyke roads near Durgerdam and we can end up in picturesque Enkhuizen for lunch. In the afternoon we could complete a 'round trip around the IJsselmeer and visit the VOC ship Batavia replica (awesome boat that is - built according to traditional methods) in Lelystad.

Just a suggestion - let me know what your ideas are.

Onno

Attached Images

post #14 of 25 Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Owner

Annoyingly - Air France has cancelled and changed some flights so I will only be in Holland after lunch on Saturday. We can go for a drive around 15:00 or so? Sunday is also an option if the weather is better than predicted.

Onno

post #15 of 25 Old 04-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
It seems you went for an interesting drive again yesterday, Vitalone! You know you can't hide from us....

So cool to chance upon your amazing 308. Judging by the comments, she was very well received indeed!!

Ferrari 308 GTB - Autogespot

Onno
The 308 Michalone really does have great road presence.
post #16 of 25 Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Owner

Yeah, it was cool to see her move yesterday too. Lovely day in Holland, nice to be out with some Ferrari friends.

Onno

post #17 of 25 Old 04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
FBI
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 310
What a beautiful written post Vitalone! Makes me wish of moving to Europe you guy's know how to live and have fun! Where I live (western Canada) we had 20cm of snow yesterday!! Love the car Vitalone can we see some more pics?

Cheers
post #18 of 25 Old 04-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
What a beautiful written post Vitalone! Makes me wish of moving to Europe you guy's know how to live and have fun! Where I live (western Canada) we had 20cm of snow yesterday!! Love the car Vitalone can we see some more pics?

Cheers
Weather was good over here all weekend. Had a bit of a different type drive out on Saturday:
Attached Images

post #19 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Cheers
Thanks for your kind words, FBI, the Michalone just gets better and better the more I drive her. Must take the time to clean the Winter grime off her but have been enjoying the driving too much! Must also take the time to take more pictures of her as well as places visited. Here are a few from when she was clean en route to FLED 4 in England last October...

On Saturday took my Uncle visiting from Perth for a blast in the Michalone in convoy with good Jag mate. We met up with Onno and brother with Onno's magnificent 550 at a terrific aviation musuem near to Lelystad. Really impressive line up of planes including replica of the first plane to fly in the Netherlands. It was 1909 in a Wright Brother's plane and the flight lasted three and a half minutes. Most of the exhibits relate to the history of KLM with great backdrops. A really cool museum!

After some terrific back road blasting with mean yet elegant 550 growling in front, smooth Jag XJ6C gliding along and musical Michalone singing-howling-screaming at the rear we ended up at a street cafe in the sun next to the river in Muiden. Next thing this beat up old Chevy convertible pulls up with three dudes on the front bench seat. Some wild and ragged three point turns later with bits of building removed or close to, lots of smoke, V8 rumbling and the Chevy converts into a mobile sound stage. The lead singer resembles Kramer with thinner hair and informs us that they are on the run from the cops so they will just play one or two requests before beating it out of there. Bass guitarist on the trunk, drummer in the back seat and lead singer on the hood. Belting out some great rock n roll. Some great rock n roll classics later from Jonny Be Good to the Carpenters (Close to You) (!) and the place is alive full of good spirit in the evening sun. Boy those guys can play! What a great day! Problem is Uncle thinks this is normal life in the Netherlands and wants to extend his stay for another month.

Come to think of it with the Michalone, good friends and spectacular Netherlands in the Spring, this kind of sponteneity is there for the taking and enjoying!
Attached Images

post #20 of 25 Old 04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Owner

The stage set-up of Jonny.....

Only people from Amsterdam do stuff like that in Holland. Gotta love 'em.

Onno

Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode