Damaged 328 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
Damaged 328

Hi all,

I'm about to buy 328 '88 which has some damages in back (see the attachments please).

I'm a beginner with Ferraris, and would like to hear your opinions.

Can these size damages be fixed with replacing only plate parts or should I reject the whole case?

Can the frame of the car be damaged too?

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/miarohon/My%20Documents/20-01-2011%20051.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
How is your coach working? You are going to need to replace the rear passenger quarter panel and that will include some welds. Hard to tell from the rear driver side... I see a black line where it looks like the rear quarter panel separated from the flares that lead to the roof, so that might need replacing too. The 328 was the last tube/space frame from Ferrari if I recall. Best to have a PPI to let you know if the chassis is damaged. If it is, consider walking away.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Judging by the wrinkle in that rear quarter panel and the door fitment the damage could be severe underneath.

There's definitely more information you'll want to get before deciding which won't be found on the exterior.

post #4 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Judging by the wrinkle in that rear quarter panel and the door fitment the damage could be severe underneath.

There's definitely more information you'll want to get before deciding which won't be found on the exterior.
what I noticed and the left rear bumper aligment is showing a larger gap to me also, which IMO is a slight twist to the hit...perhaps just a rear-ender of little consequence. The top even looked a bit suspect.

IF you mention where you are located [I see a foreign plate] that would be a factor also. Not saying stay away from it, as they are worth saving, but it all depends on what you are expecting, what you want, what you desire to manage in a budget, and what you expect down the road: all those questions can be answered casually even with little of the actual car problems in depth. But knowing more of the actual mechanicals, and coach work will get a better answer.

Don't know if you already acquired a buyer's guide from this site, but that is an excellent place to start.

ask away.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #5 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
You are looking at north for $20k in damage if you are going to drop the car at a shop and expect it to come home fixed. An OEM QV muffler was $6200 10 years ago and It's very similar to the 328 unit and you clearly need a new one. The car is probably worth $8k to maybe $12k if the inside and is nice and all the mechanicals check out I'd think.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Looks like the right hand door no longer aligns with the rear quarter.

With that in addition to what's been stated above, I'll go ahead and vote NO.

I say start your beginner experience from a much firmer foundation.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
mark, 328 oem mufflers are of no value. i have one if he needs it. so many replaced with tubis and others makes a lot of barely used mufflers out there. To the OP- why do you want to get involved in this? I wouldn't touch it w/a 10' pole.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk e View Post
You are looking at north for $20k in damage if you are going to drop the car at a shop and expect it to come home fixed. An OEM QV muffler was $6200 10 years ago and It's very similar to the 328 unit and you clearly need a new one. The car is probably worth $8k to maybe $12k if the inside and is nice and all the mechanicals check out I'd think.

I have already found all the plate parts available/fixed in reasonable price (Total $5000) (hope you understand. I'm not sure of the terms).

The car has 58000 miles and the interior is in excellent shape and it has all the papers and records.

Somehow I feel (<- maybe I'm stupid) this could be a good deal. The trouble is with the chassis. Can it be damaged too or not in this "light" crash?

Probably I need to drive it for inspection first...
post #9 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 02:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
mark, 328 oem mufflers are of no value. i have one if he needs it. so many replaced with tubis and others makes a lot of barely used mufflers out there.
A used QV muffler is of little value either (I was unable to sell my unperfect example on ebay for $1 as the $50 shipping cost broke the deal), but a new QV muffler that isn't rusted anywhere and has perfect chrome on the tips is $6200.

If you customized anything and try to sell without the original parts you pretty much always take a hit on the price, a tubi is a good example as most people find them too loud to live with.

Back to the car at hand, does it have a salvage title? That will ding the price 20% even with a perfect repair.

If the frame is tweaked, and it probably is, it can be fixed. It's a real frame so if you can find a decent shop with a frame machine they should be able to pull it back. My car had the right rear quarter replaced....and had lot of shims to align the rear because accordign to my measurements the upper a-arm mount was not right. I think I've got it fixed now but I won't be certain until I take it back in for alignment.

I've repeat the question someone else asked, do you know body shop try skills? A nice paint job a lone is $8k-$15k and a not so nice $3k paint job dings the price $5k-$10k. My message is this is not a chevy so a carf that needs some work is generally WAY more expensive than buying a nice car.....I learned this lesson the hard way.
post #10 of 27 Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,322
Sheehan wrote an interesting article about what it takes to paint a 308 series car. Even if you ignore his labor rates (or substitute in your own), it was an eye-opening introduction to what is involved. Definitely not something for the typical shop or DIY.

Already from the photos, we can see this car's financial viability is questionable. And that's without an inspection which will almost certainly uncover more surprises.

I'll restate my first post another way:
You want to enjoy your first Ferrari experience, not have it become a financial nightmare. Unless you're a wrench, this project has far too much risk.
post #11 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 81
Also take a look at how far the right exhaust pipe has been pushed in, it looks to be 8-10 inches, this attaches directly to the engine. It would be good to check the engine mounts to see if they have been tweaked, or if the hard hit on the exhaust broke anything else engine related. In my opinion, if you were to do ALL of the work yourself, and are just LOOKING for a PROJECT, and the car is REAL cheap (I am thinking under 5K) then it might be fun. But if you are looking at this as an investment, and have somebody else do the work, run very fast!!!!

For me, I love projects and would not worry too much about this if the price was right and it did not have a salvage title. If it did have a salvage title then that would give you the option of doing any kind of radical modifications you would want to the car with little ramifications. But be aware this would again need to be something for just your personal enjoyment, and not as a way to make money.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
sorry about that
post #13 of 27 Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
I have already found all the plate parts available/fixed in reasonable price (Total $5000) (hope you understand. I'm not sure of the terms).

The car has 58000 miles and the interior is in excellent shape and it has all the papers and records.

Somehow I feel (<- maybe I'm stupid) this could be a good deal. The trouble is with the chassis. Can it be damaged too or not in this "light" crash?

Probably I need to drive it for inspection first...

Well, there are some here who might have entered this project car even skimping on costs for a multitude of valid reasons. That would be the case when the goal didn't include resale value and included the DIY 'fun' issue. After all, if you dropped a 12 cylinder in it, I'm sure many more would be with you

From what you are asserting, I am 'hearing' you are more over the 50% mark of getting it than not, and looking for more certification from us.

So, here are my NEW thoughts assuming you crossing that line:
1. Go for it, but expect $$$.
2. I'm not sure of your goal, but if it's a show model, you are absolutely looking at the incorrect item IF cost is a consideration. Way many examples to start without the issues.
3. IF you are looking for a chance to DIY and get a driver, I say "Go for it". But not sure of your skills or desires, or resources or end goals of the car.
4. It will always be an issues car if properly revealed, and that can have value problems...but, if a resale is contemplated down the road and you let new buyer know of the issues, then I have no problem with the project even if it has a frame problem. Why? Because in these days, some frame problems can be performed. Then again, not sure what you want.

Even though there were a large number of these models made IMO, they are decreasing every year [case in point your example]. THey will be worth 'saving' as we know from even older models. That will be truer in the new Electric era. Somewhere down in the 'green' future, someone will thank you for the effort: I might be one of those.

IF not the above, you are going to be way too involved and over a typical budget for a better example of this car.

IF you get it we expect a fixit thread even if you fail at a gold medal product: Failure is not necessarily entirely without successes and all successes have value. [I'm a half glass fool[sic] kind of guy]

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 01-28-2011 at 01:20 PM.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of you. I decided to forget this one.

Now I have found 328 1987 GTS with 93000 miles. What do you think, too much driven?

Seller says it is from daily use and runs perfect. Not known issues.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks for all of you. I decided to forget this one.

Now I have found 328 1987 GTS with 93000 miles. What do you think, too much driven?

Seller says it is from daily use and runs perfect. Not known issues.
If the price is right buy it....but first get a leak-down test done and you will see the engine is getting tired so be sure the engine rebuild cost is in your math.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 828
Garage
Quote:
If the price is right buy it....but first get a leak-down test done and you will see the engine is getting tired so be sure the engine rebuild cost is in your math.
Very good advice.
Have it checked out thoroughly by an experienced mechanic and pay for that PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection). It is money well spent.

Cars that sit and are low mileage perpetuate a misconception that they have been preserved for the next owner. Time marches on; rubber hoses dry out, bearings, coolant, moisture & condensation gather, brake seals harden, etc.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
RUN........RUN.........

There is always one in better shape at a good price somewhere....keep looking.....

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #18 of 27 Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I do not know is the price right or not. It is $26000, what do you say?

Interior seems to be pretty ok, Exterior is perfect.

Auto check score in eBay said 78 (=normal).
post #19 of 27 Old 02-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Owner

Quote:
I do not know is the price right or not. It is $26000, what do you say?

Interior seems to be pretty ok, Exterior is perfect.

Auto check score in eBay said 78 (=normal).

These are difficult assessments from a computer screen and no pics or PPI. Could be, couldn't be....

one thing about the mileage is don't worry about that, but rather the current state of the car's condition. Interior probably needs a replenishment and if the exterior minus rust and the such is good ,then worth a look: BTW do you really expect to find this old a model with less miles?

Unfortunately I cannot speak to price. I find the prices today a bit strange.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #20 of 27 Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

One more photo

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm about to buy 328 '88 which has some damages in back (see the attachments please).

I'm a beginner with Ferraris, and would like to hear your opinions.

Can these size damages be fixed with replacing only plate parts or should I reject the whole case?

Can the frame of the car be damaged too?

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/miarohon/My%20Documents/20-01-2011%20051.jpg[/IMG]
I received one more photo. What do you think?
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode