Difference between 208/308/328 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Difference between 208/308/328

Hello,

Can somebody explain what is the difference in body between ferrari 208/308/328?

I have read tons of articles where was written that in 1985 was small body-style modification. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any difference after watching 10000 photos.

And which one would you suggest buying? Right now I'm interested in 208 gtb turbo, but want to find out the body changes.

Don't think that I didn't use search.

Thank You for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Suggest you read the Buyers Guides: http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php

and get a copy of Keith Bluemel's book Original Ferrari V8.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aertonas View Post
Hello,

Can somebody explain what is the difference in body between ferrari 208/308/328?

I have read tons of articles where was written that in 1985 was small body-style modification. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any difference after watching 10000 photos.

And which one would you suggest buying? Right now I'm interested in 208 gtb turbo, but want to find out the body changes.

Don't think that I didn't use search.

Thank You for help.
Where are you located?

The 208 GTS or later simply the GTS where ITalian market only (I think) to deal with the 50% tax on anything over 2 liter. They make the same hp as the 308 and 328 in the years they were sold but the power delivery is quite different and very 80s turbo (which is not a compliment).

The 328 (or GTS) are the least of the style and better sorted but the 308 has more classic lines. With the 308 you also need to decide carb or injection 2 valve or 4.

All these things are about preference and budget. You need to know what you want to do with the car and what's important. Basically the higher perfomance the higher the price

post #4 of 26 Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

In terms of buying either a 208 Turbo or a later GTB/GTS, suggest you reconsider. The 2 liter cars have less power and more problems. You are much better off with any of the 3 liter variants.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
In terms of buying either a 208 Turbo or a later GTB/GTS, suggest you reconsider. The 2 liter cars have less power and more problems. You are much better off with any of the 3 liter variants.
That and there is a lot of truth in the expression “there is no replacement for displacement”
post #6 of 26 Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 178
Quote:
Actually, the 208 turbo made the same amount of power, but at much higher peak rpm, 8500 IIRC. IOW, you have to rev the snot out of it. But thats not a bad thing with a Ferrari, is it?.

I would also imagine a cost difference in registration? Wouldnt a 2 liter be less expensive to put on the road in Europe?

Its all apples and oranges. If a car is well sorted they arent much trouble. If not, then the more complex car is going to have more complex issues.

I think they made a 208 NA, that would probably not be much fun. The problem is Ferrari used the same crank as the 3 liter, so its a long stoke for such smalll bores.

The 328 uses sheet metal of the same proportions, but softer edges. Some love it, some hate it. Along with the nose and interior its really a different car.
post #7 of 26 Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artvonne View Post
Actually, the 208 turbo made the same amount of power, but at much higher peak rpm, 8500 IIRC. IOW, you have to rev the snot out of it. But thats not a bad thing with a Ferrari, is it?.

I would also imagine a cost difference in registration? Wouldnt a 2 liter be less expensive to put on the road in Europe?

Its all apples and oranges. If a car is well sorted they arent much trouble. If not, then the more complex car is going to have more complex issues.

I think they made a 208 NA, that would probably not be much fun. The problem is Ferrari used the same crank as the 3 liter, so its a long stoke for such smalll bores.

The 328 uses sheet metal of the same proportions, but softer edges. Some love it, some hate it. Along with the nose and interior its really a different car.
Registration cost will really depend on the country. Would not make any difference in the UK.

They did make both a turbo and non-turbo version on the 208. The non-turbo is just plain slow.

There are a few of the 2 liter turbos in the UK. Advice I got from a couple of experienced Ferrari mechanics was to steer well clear of them.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Owner

Quote:
The non-turbo is just plain slow.
If you decked the block, de-stroked the crank and ran shorter rods, getting it closer to a square bore 2 liter, it would be a different animal , with peak power closer to 10K, if not above. But would likely be impossible to drive within any civilized area.

The most powerful NA 308 were the early carbed cars, with 255 HP in Euro tune and a taller gearbox, they can achieve speeds to 160 mph +. The 328 makes more power, but is heavier and more complex, and styling so different it make's it a different car.

I would compare the cars along the same evolutionary track as the Datsun Z cars. Early 308 = 240Z, late 308 2 and 4 valves = 260Z, 328 = 280Z.

Buy what you like, they are all Ferrari's and are all fun to own.
post #9 of 26 Old 12-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
If you decked the block, de-stroked the crank and ran shorter rods, getting it closer to a square bore 2 liter, it would be a different animal , with peak power closer to 10K, if not above. But would likely be impossible to drive within any civilized area.

The most powerful NA 308 were the early carbed cars, with 255 HP in Euro tune and a taller gearbox, they can achieve speeds to 160 mph +. The 328 makes more power, but is heavier and more complex, and styling so different it make's it a different car.

I would compare the cars along the same evolutionary track as the Datsun Z cars. Early 308 = 240Z, late 308 2 and 4 valves = 260Z, 328 = 280Z.

Buy what you like, they are all Ferrari's and are all fun to own.
Having owned an early Glass carb 308 and driven other 308/328 models, the early car definitely feels lighter and quicker.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
thank you for help. I think i will have to make a decision between 308 carb and 308 valve..

Any suggestions?

P.S. maybe you know what is the fuel consumption for 100km?
post #11 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aertonas View Post
thank you for help. I think i will have to make a decision between 308 carb and 308 valve..

Any suggestions?

P.S. maybe you know what is the fuel consumption for 100km?
Some may have differing opinion, but again, my opinion here is the early carbed cars with the early cams will give the best economy.

I have personally recorded 24 MPG with my car, and that was NOT babying it. I believe that if I got out of the road and drove it steady on a long trip, much higher mileage would be quite possible. I know someone of the Evilforum claimed 28 mpg once with an early car, though I cant recall who it was. Hans perhaps?

24 MPG = 100km/9.5L ------ 28 MPG = 100km/8.4L

Last edited by Artvonne; 12-14-2010 at 10:10 AM.
post #12 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Believe me, once you buy a Ferrari the fuel economy becomes the least of your worries. So don't worry about it - it is the price you pay for enjoyment..

The difference between fuel injection and carbs is interesting on a 308. For me, it's obvious to avoid the GTSi, as it is seriously down on power and not all that much cheaper. If you have lots of money then there is only 1 choice, and that is a good fibreglass 308 (1975 - 1977). They are the best 308s out there bar none, but they are now seriously expensive (EUR70k is not an exception anymore).

Barring that, the choice is between steel carb and the QV. Both are seriously fun and good cars, and for me the choice is difficult. A mate has a seriously beautiful QV and my, I would be completely happy with that car. But the carb 308 has that little burble, sucking in the air on the right hand side of the car, and sounding just wonderful at full blast. So that is a great choice too.

Best of luck - the 308 is a seriously addictive Ferrari and even though it is many people's first, it is quite interesting how often a 308 sits in a collection with many other Ferraris.... this is not an entry-level toy, it is a genuine motoring experience.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #13 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

IMHO, would have to be a Carb 308. Of the carbs, the early Fiberglass 308s are the most desireable followed by a steel GTB and then a steel GTS.
post #14 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Believe me, once you buy a Ferrari the fuel economy becomes the least of your worries. So don't worry about it - it is the price you pay for enjoyment.
With questionable fuel in outlying areas, having good range is an absolutely wonderul option. The fact the early carb makes the most power, has the highest top end, AND gets the best fuel economy is a win/win.

Quote:
But the carb 308 has that little burble, sucking in the air on the right hand side of the car, and sounding just wonderful at full blast. So that is a great choice too.
Okay, so early 308 has best performance, best economy, AND best sound? win/win/win

Quote:
the 308 is a seriously addictive Ferrari and it is quite interesting how often a 308 sits in a collection with many other Ferraris.... this is not an entry-level toy, it is a genuine motoring experience.

Onno
That really says it all, doesnt it?

Last edited by Boxer; 12-14-2010 at 10:31 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
IMHO, would have to be a Carb 308. Of the carbs, the early Fiberglass 308s are the most desireable followed by a steel GTB and then a steel GTS.
I would buy a fiberglass if I were looking for a car to not drive, just watch it appreciate. Slowly.

I would buy a steel car if I wanted to drive it. There really isnt any weight penalty, its all hype. On a early US car, glass or steel, they all need to go on a diet. Yank off the 100 pounds of bumpers, the 40 pounds of air injection crap, the 130 pound muffler, and the 50 pounds of insulation out of the trunk, and replace it with light glass bumpers and a Tubi and rejet the carbs (you'll have to), it will be like shoving a big dead guy out of the car to the curb. And dont forget the 8 pounds of wire mesh and insulation they choked the snorkel of the aircleaner with.
post #16 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I would buy a fiberglass if I were looking for a car to not drive, just watch it appreciate. Slowly.

I would buy a steel car if I wanted to drive it. There really isnt any weight penalty, its all hype. On a early US car, glass or steel, they all need to go on a diet. Yank off the 100 pounds of bumpers, the 40 pounds of air injection crap, the 130 pound muffler, and the 50 pounds of insulation out of the trunk, and replace it with light glass bumpers and a Tubi and rejet the carbs (you'll have to), it will be like shoving a big dead guy out of the car to the curb. And dont forget the 8 pounds of wire mesh and insulation they choked the snorkel of the aircleaner with.

Or just find a European Glass 308 and not have to worry about yanking all the US DOT stuff off.
post #17 of 26 Old 12-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
What a shame. The fibreglass ones are the best to drive.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #18 of 26 Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Owner

Quote:

Onno
I used to believe the glass cars were 600 pounds lighter, because thats what everyone said. That would make a HELL of a difference and would definetly be worth the premium. But after seeing a few people actually weigh these cars, that's not the reality. As long as they weigh the same, have the same power output, gearing, suspension, brakes, etc., I cant see how they would drive any differently.

Regardless, the glass cars will always command a premium, and will appreciate the most over time, simply because they came first, and are among the rarest. If your looking to drive, buy the cheapest and best car you can, and it will be steel. If your looking for more of a garage queen, the glass car would be a good choice. If you have unlimited funds, none of the above really matters.

Another option is to build a GTO clone, but please, only choose cars that are in rough shape/damaged/burned. I am seriously surprised no one has built an F40 clone from a 308, especially seeing as the 308 shares the shares the same basic cabin structure, windshield, rear glass, side glass......I know, the horror.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Quote:
Onno
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artvonne
But after seeing a few people actually weigh these cars, that's not the reality. As long as they weigh the same, have the same power output, gearing, suspension, brakes, etc., I cant see how they would drive any differently.
A Euro glass car doesn't weight the same as a steel Euro 308,they are about 60 kg (130 pounds) lighter.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona73 View Post
+1

A Euro glass car doesn't weight the same as a steel Euro 308,they are about 60 kg (130 pounds) lighter.
There was a fellow had one delivered up in the Netherlands, he had a bill of lading of 2850 pounds. There were also some pics posted on the Evilforum of some cuts made into the body in several different areas, showing glass nearly 3/4inch thick. That was all I needed to see. Without some other real scale weights thats what I am sticking with.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode