308 engine pull - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
308 engine pull

Well the season is over and it's time to start working on the car, pulled half the engine apart already just have to get the front exhaust manifold and engine mounts off. Any tips on the manifolds? the rear one is off and loose but I can't pull it out, does the engine have to be lifted up to get clearance? and the rear how do you get at the top nuts. Anyone know of a good parts place to get gaskets sets, i've found a place call A W auto parts and there prices seem ok. I live in Canada so if anyone knows of any places here please let me know. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
If your goal here is to remove the engine from the car, you just unbolt the headers and move them off the studs.

They'll stay out of the way to remove the engine. I've never seen anyone pull them out with the engine in anyways.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 178
Pffffft.... my early carb cars headers with no wrapping, the rear ones come right out. The front one no way, you leave it down there until the engine is out. Just remember to put it back down there before you drop the motor back in, lol. You'll be screaming if you dont. Actually, I pulled a front unwrapped header out through the bottom. Once. You seriously do not want to do that. A wrapped one? There is no way without removing the right fuel tank.

Nuts on headers? long extension, flex socket, and patience. And maybe a open end wrench and even more patience. If you start getting frustrated and angry, just think back to when you were 10 and never thought you would own a Ferrari. Relax. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was your Ferrari.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansferrari View Post
Well the season is over and it's time to start working on the car, pulled half the engine apart already just have to get the front exhaust manifold and engine mounts off. Any tips on the manifolds? the rear one is off and loose but I can't pull it out, does the engine have to be lifted up to get clearance? and the rear how do you get at the top nuts. Anyone know of a good parts place to get gaskets sets, i've found a place call A W auto parts and there prices seem ok. I live in Canada so if anyone knows of any places here please let me know. thanks.
I did mine from above. It looked like the rack and lines might get in the way from below.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansferrari View Post
If you just live here near us, I can recommend the place that can help you in your problem. I'm sorry but I don't know the place there.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
I'm in the same zone, pulling engine out of my 78 308. Needs seals, gaskets, belts/tensioners, clutch inspection/service, valve adjustment and pull left fuel tank to change heater line. Wouldn't pull the engine for just one of these but all together it makes it worth pulling the engine as all other work should be easy once it is out. Also concerned about 1/16" end play on transaxle output flanges. That doesn't seem right. I live an hour south of Edmonton been getting parts from Charles at Italian Car Parts in Oregon. Decent prices, good selection and quick reliable shipping. He also works on these cars himself so has good tech info. I haven't picked his brain on torque specs yet but imagine he has the info. I have parts manual, service manual and shop manual for various 308 models I found on line a few years back which together give most info.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode