308 gtsi work and thoughts (682 miles on it) - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
308 gtsi work and thoughts (682 miles on it)

I purchased a 1982 308 gtsi about 10 years ago. It has not been run since 1991. It was taken apart by the past owner to put a turbocharger on it and the guy lost interest and passed away. The car was bought in florida in 1989 or 1990 as new. It has 682 miles on it right now. I have stopped at the various Ferrari dealers (washington and long island to see about getting it put back together and do the 30K service done on it. Not sure if I want to send it away though. Does anyone know any good people in the Buffalo, NY area that works on these cars? Also would it be advisable to get a value estimate on this vehicle with the extremely low miles on it? Some people say some guy would by it for a collection whit the low miles? And I could get some money for it and buy a 308 or 328 with 30K miles on it and pocket a little change? what are peoples thoughts. I really do not want to sell it, just looking for thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
An 82 with low miles that's in pieces? Not sure of precise value but it's probably very low. $20K or less. The low mileage doesn't help if the car is apart. Having said that, once you put it right and dump probably 20 or so thousand into it you might have a high 40 to mid 50 grand car. I know you said you have doubts about sending it out but I would consider Competizione or possibly ECS in the Washington DC area and let them have at it. I've seen a couple of turbo 308s at Competizione so i'm quite sure they are confortable with getting it squared away if you wanted to continue down that road. That of course would detract from the value versus a pristine no stories original car.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #3 of 6 Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
how does the car look? paint, leather, ect.? if everything is there and depending on the state of disassembley, may not take much to put it together. i certainly would try to preserve that one for a collector or museum. don't imagine there are many around. sell it and buy one with 25 or 30k on it. now if mice have been living in it and you stored the baby pool on top of it and the leather is all dried out and cracked........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 06:33 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
I think you'd be most successful having it gone through and cleaned up so it reflects the 682 miles, keeping it perfectly original, then enjoy it for a couple years while entering it in FCA type car shows and then trying to sell the car with some background.

The GTSi's don't get alot of money, and no one would pay big money for one in pieces, It's not a particularly interesting model. There are people how have a real affection for this body style though. I do agree with Barcheta that in top shape you may be able to pull mid $40k from the right buyer because this one would have a couple special attributes.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 178
Mileage is so easy to alter that unless you have a box full of receipts to connect the dots, most people arent going to pay a big premium for it sold as a project. Sold for parts, the mileage is meaningless, its just another parts car and I cant imagine anyone paying a premium for 308 parts because they might be off a lower mileage car.

If you can get some kind of proof like a Heritage certificate from Ferrari that the motor and gearbox are original to the car, and IF you can put together a believable history of service records and ownership that backs up the mileage, and IF you put the car back together correctly and fully serviced (photo documented would be a big plus), you may very well have a highly desirable car people would pay a premium for. But it has to be the whole package with tools and books and the like.

Unfortunately, the amount of money and effort it would take to bring it to that level would cost more than you will ever recover from a sale. You'll have a lot less headache just selling it as is and taking your lumps. Or, do it yourself.

How about posting some pics of the car, I think many would have a much better idea what you have if we knew more about it.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakman24 View Post
I purchased a 1982 308 gtsi about 10 years ago. It has not been run since 1991. It was taken apart by the past owner to put a turbocharger on it and the guy lost interest and passed away. The car was bought in florida in 1989 or 1990 as new. It has 682 miles on it right now. I have stopped at the various Ferrari dealers (washington and long island to see about getting it put back together and do the 30K service done on it. Not sure if I want to send it away though. Does anyone know any good people in the Buffalo, NY area that works on these cars? Also would it be advisable to get a value estimate on this vehicle with the extremely low miles on it? Some people say some guy would by it for a collection whit the low miles? And I could get some money for it and buy a 308 or 328 with 30K miles on it and pocket a little change? what are peoples thoughts. I really do not want to sell it, just looking for thoughts?
Everything sound fair. Can you also share a pic of that please...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode