Ferrari F355 or 360 Modena? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 23
Ferrari F355 or 360 Modena?

Hey everyone I joined this forum recently so I can get the opinion of some Ferrari experts. I'm about to make my first Ferrari purchase, either a 1999 F355 Spyder or '01 360 Modena hardtop. I really can't choose between them...They both have amazing looks (though the 355 is a bit better) and they both have amazing performance (have test driven both). My current budget allows me to afford a F355 right now, and for a 360 Modena I'll probably have to wait about a year. Maintenance costs is another issue, as I have heard a Modena is more reliable and a 355 "spends most of its time in a garage". However, I have also heard a 355's driving experience is like no other and the maintenance costs are totally worth it. I would use the car as an everyday car mostly within the city, so this may be another factor. I'd appreciate if everyone could share some of their opinions and steer me in the direction of either one of these fine cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Tough question. specially as an everyday driver in the city. Leaning toward the 360. But it really is more of a personal decision. Have you driven both?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Welcome to FL, CanadianGuy. My choice would be 360, based upon your intentions. Good luck with your purchase. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,516
Go for the 360 - love mine and it has been problem free as it approaches 20,000 happily driven miles

If you go the 355 route (or is it root?), make sure it is fully sorted out

Both cars are fanstastic rides IMHO
post #5 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The guys are right, if you really want to use the car regularly the 360 will do it much more easily.

The 355 is a great car but does require a real investment to iron out the bugs. It's much more difficult to buy a sorted 355, most of them are being held onto. If you bought one very inexpensive and then had a qualified shop address the know problem areas before you start really driving it you will be ok.

Realistically you'll have nearly as much in vested into the 355 as you will the 360 to make it right. It's a matter of finances and preference.

post #6 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Despite the great advice maybe you should drive each back-to-back to get a more personal feel.

The 355 spider is a beautifully designed car.

The 360 is as sleek as ever.

Maybe a closer look will help you decide.
post #7 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Tough question. specially as an everyday driver in the city. Leaning toward the 360. But it really is more of a personal decision. Have you driven both?
+1, would definitely lean towards the 360 but you need to drive both.
post #8 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
Yup I've test driven both and loved the feel of both cars. I'm also pretty sure I have enough money to not financially worry about the maintenance costs of a 355 unless their like astronomically high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
The guys are right, if you really want to use the car regularly the 360 will do it much more easily.

The 355 is a great car but does require a real investment to iron out the bugs. It's much more difficult to buy a sorted 355, most of them are being held onto. If you bought one very inexpensive and then had a qualified shop address the know problem areas before you start really driving it you will be ok.

Realistically you'll have nearly as much in vested into the 355 as you will the 360 to make it right. It's a matter of finances and preference.
I see your point. I'm pretty sure I can purchase a 355 for much less then a 360 modena and use that extra money to help pay for the maintenance. I'm still leaning towards the 355 ....would it give me alot of problems in city traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Welcome to FL, CanadianGuy. My choice would be 360, based upon your intentions. Good luck with your purchase. w/ smiles Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy was your choice based on the fact I must drive mostly within city limits?

Last edited by CanadiannGuy; 07-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.
post #9 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #10 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
360 vs 355 spider

I happen to have both (I have the spider and my wife has the 360). The driving experience is different. The weight is the same, horsepower similar, but the feel is quite different when driving. The 360 is noticably wider, making it a bit trickier to stay in the lane on narrow twisty roads. The 355 feels smaller and the handling is a more precise.

The biggest difference , of course, is do you want a convertible or hardtop? If you like the loudness of the Capristos and the wind in your hair, there really is no choice. If you want a more modern, more conventional (more Porsche-like) daily driver, the 360 may be better.

Of course, our 360 is an F1. That might be a PITA if lots of stop and go. And speaking of maintenance costs, those F1's eat clutches compared to a regular 6 speed. The 360's are not immune to header and cat problems just like the 355's. The engine out major costs more in a 355 of course.

All things considered, both are great, but definitely get a well-sorted one either way.

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.
post #11 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst1 View Post
I happen to have both (I have the spider and my wife has the 360). The driving experience is different. The weight is the same, horsepower similar, but the feel is quite different when driving. The 360 is noticably wider, making it a bit trickier to stay in the lane on narrow twisty roads. The 355 feels smaller and the handling is a more precise.

The biggest difference , of course, is do you want a convertible or hardtop? If you like the loudness of the Capristos and the wind in your hair, there really is no choice. If you want a more modern, more conventional (more Porsche-like) daily driver, the 360 may be better.

Of course, our 360 is an F1. That might be a PITA if lots of stop and go. And speaking of maintenance costs, those F1's eat clutches compared to a regular 6 speed. The 360's are not immune to header and cat problems just like the 355's. The engine out major costs more in a 355 of course.

All things considered, both are great, but definitely get a well-sorted one either way.

Definitely like a convertible the wind in hair feeling = amazing I understand what your saying, the feel of the 355 was better to me somewhat (felt more connected). I guess my minds already somewhat set on the 355, however will it be a major problem for daily driving or just a few hassles?

Nice avatar btw
post #12 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,094
Welcome and my 2c worth.

Clearly both cars are with a dedicated following but for different reasons.

The 355 is a "raw" "involving" drive.
The 360 is somewhat more detached.

The 355 has a few issues which are consistent with a car that is fundamentaly 20 years old.
The 360 is modern technology with a lot more reliability.

As a daily driver I am of the opinion that the 360 would suit you better.

In summary you are asking for a rational decision on an emotive isssue.........
Go with the "gut" as this type of car is bought on the basis of feel smell touch and looks.

No matter which one you choose you will be imensely satisfied.
post #13 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

One more comment, for a daily driver, definitely recommend a 6 speed stick over the F1.
post #14 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1exander View Post
Welcome and my 2c worth.

Clearly both cars are with a dedicated following but for different reasons.

The 355 is a "raw" "involving" drive.
The 360 is somewhat more detached.

The 355 has a few issues which are consistent with a car that is fundamentaly 20 years old.
The 360 is modern technology with a lot more reliability.

As a daily driver I am of the opinion that the 360 would suit you better.

In summary you are asking for a rational decision on an emotive isssue.........
Go with the "gut" as this type of car is bought on the basis of feel smell touch and looks.

No matter which one you choose you will be imensely satisfied.
Thanks for your advice! my gut says to go with a 355... but then again everyone on this forum is saying a 360 would be better suited to me. I'm torn between my liking and the advice of several ferrari owners haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
One more comment, for a daily driver, definitely recommend a 6 speed stick over the F1.
Is this because it burns out the clutch quickly in city traffic?
post #15 of 56 Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiannGuy View Post
Is this because it burns out the clutch quickly in city traffic?
F1 and traffic are not a great combination.
post #16 of 56 Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
F1 and traffic are not a great combination.
Why exactly? Just wondering
post #17 of 56 Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Owner

To answer your question, yes, city driving and better reliability, which means more time on road than in garage.

That said, personally I prefer the shape and looks of 355. Years ago, I still remember driving along LA freeway behind a yellow 355 spyder. It was a splendid sight and the sound was exquisitie. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #18 of 56 Old 07-14-2010, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
To answer your question, yes, city driving and better reliability, which means more time on road than in garage.

That said, personally I prefer the shape and looks of 355. Years ago, I still remember driving along LA freeway behind a yellow 355 spyder. It was a splendid sight and the sound was exquisitie. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy
Yeah the 355 really is an amazing car! If lets say I were to buy that one, how much trouble would I go through to keep it running on the road? Would it be worth it? Thanks for the help.
post #19 of 56 Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadiannGuy View Post
Yeah the 355 really is an amazing car! If lets say I were to buy that one, how much trouble would I go through to keep it running on the road? Would it be worth it? Thanks for the help.
I am not a gearhead, thus I can only say from my own ownership experience. I used to own a used 1997 model F355B manual for almost three years from 1999. During my ownership, the car was trouble free. Very reliable. Maybe I was lucky. Nevertheless, it boils down to finding a well kept and maintained 355. As long the basic rules are followed, I have no doubt you would luv the car. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #20 of 56 Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I am not a gearhead, thus I can only say from my own ownership experience. I used to own a used 1997 model F355B manual for almost three years from 1999. During my ownership, the car was trouble free. Very reliable. Maybe I was lucky. Nevertheless, it boils down to finding a well kept and maintained 355. As long the basic rules are followed, I have no doubt you would luv the car. w/ smiles Jimmy
I would trust ownership experience more in this case :P I guess your right, what should I look for in a reliable 355?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode