Considering a 328 GTS... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
Considering a 328 GTS...

Would be my first Ferrari. Originally wanted an F430, but wife wants real estate - and I want a Ferrari. We compromised on both - I'll get a 328 and she'll get RE. Marital bliss. (F430 for later... )

Anyway - questions for the 328 crowd:
1. Any significant differences betwen the 85, 86, 87, 88, and 88.5 models? (I know the 88.5/89 models had ABS, but other than that???)

2. Which years do you prefer - and why?

3. What are the common problem areas?

4. What should I expect in typical repair/maint costs per annum? Major service/belts? $? Clutch?

5. How do these cars run on our crappy 91 octane CA gas?

6. What should I look for in a 328 GTS? (I am considering a car with higher miles - e.g. 50k +)

7. Could I realistically drive this car weekly (maybe not as daily driver, but maybe once a week) reliably?

8. OK - please do NOT throw flames here (I know Enzo would probably turn in his grave), but has anyone run one of the supercharger kits on on of these 328s? Thoughts?

I am somewhat mechanically inlcined, so I am looking forward to joining the Ferrari "hobby" / enthusiasts as an owner. I suspect I will eventually own several in my life. Just a matter of time - and buying my first one. (Also have my eye on 575s.)

THANKS!
coffeeis4closers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The 328 isn't anywhere near comparable to the 430...have you spent any seat time in a V8 Ferrari before? Do you have any basis of comparison or performance expectations?

The best way to answer your basic questions is to comb through the buyer's guide the forum provides and then ask more specific questions if there are any.

The cost of ownership will vary greatly depending on the condition of the car, how much of the maintenance is already needed when you buy it and whether you're doing it yourself, going to an independent or going to the dealer.

As a general statement, the 328 is an affordable and easy car to own as far as Ferraris go. I've had customer's whom have owned the car for 10yrs and only spent $7000 on repairs cause it's driven so little. Others have been careless and destroyed engines and spent as much on repairs as the purchase price.

The 328 runs a low compression ratio and doesn't suffer too badly from the 91 octane fuel. I don't think bolting a S/C kit on a high mileage motor is going to work out well in the long run. Carbon build-up and a poorly maintained CIS injection system will make life difficult. If you rebuild the motor properly and have the injection system checked, cleaned and setup correctly you'll have a lot of fun.

As far as frequency of drivability...I've seen some of the 308QV and 328's pushing 90,000mi and were driven nearly every day for years and required only basic servicing and a tolerance for oil leaks. So it's quite realistic to drive a good stock car regularly without problem.

Like anything else, a cheap and poorly maintained car will be expensive and troublesome to own. A well sorted car can be nearly trouble free.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
ECSofVirginia said pretty much everything besides, become a paying member and there is plenty of info in the members section.

Remember one thing, a supercharger and or turbo, could be fun or could crush your dreams. If the engine is not up to it, and she blows, It could cost as much as the price of the car for a new engine so be careful.

~

Mario

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari

post #4 of 21 Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
1. no significant differences. mostly small interior things and the abs.

2. 1989 last year of production and the "final" version of the 3x8 series.

3. don't know of any common problem areas. except for the usual car stuff, never had a problem with mine.

4. yearly maint should be the same as most cars, fluids, ect. more expensive of course. Belts i believe ar 3-5k, but i haven't done them yet. did the clutch and don't remember it being very expensive. pretty easy access actually.

5. My car runs fine but i usually pop some octane booster in there on principal.

6. Look for a car that doesn't have 50k+ miles.

7. i realistically drive mine every week.

8. what ecs said.

a 328 is sort of a no brainer. can't really go wrong at that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeis4closers View Post
Would be my first Ferrari. Originally wanted an F430, but wife wants real estate - and I want a Ferrari. We compromised on both - I'll get a 328 and she'll get RE. Marital bliss. (F430 for later... )

Anyway - questions for the 328 crowd:
1. Any significant differences betwen the 85, 86, 87, 88, and 88.5 models? (I know the 88.5/89 models had ABS, but other than that???)

2. Which years do you prefer - and why?

3. What are the common problem areas?

4. What should I expect in typical repair/maint costs per annum? Major service/belts? $? Clutch?

5. How do these cars run on our crappy 91 octane CA gas?

6. What should I look for in a 328 GTS? (I am considering a car with higher miles - e.g. 50k +)

7. Could I realistically drive this car weekly (maybe not as daily driver, but maybe once a week) reliably?

8. OK - please do NOT throw flames here (I know Enzo would probably turn in his grave), but has anyone run one of the supercharger kits on on of these 328s? Thoughts?

I am somewhat mechanically inlcined, so I am looking forward to joining the Ferrari "hobby" / enthusiasts as an owner. I suspect I will eventually own several in my life. Just a matter of time - and buying my first one. (Also have my eye on 575s.)

THANKS!
coffeeis4closers

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 21 Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Ths for feedback

Thx Guys. I don't have expectations of a 328 performing anywhere near an F430. I actually think I can (and will) appreciate the difference between the 2 cars. I have had Porsches, Vettes, BMW M3s, Mercedes AMG Vehicles, as well as older collectibles like C1/C2 Corvettes, late 60s/70s Mercedes, and older flathead Fords. I just appreciate (good/fine/interesting) automobiles. To me they each serve a different use/purpose... and can align with my mood (e.g the Porsche for the twisties, the Mercedes AMG for a long cruise). I am thinking of selling a C5 Convertible Vette and stepping into the 328 GTS... with the intention of keeping and maintaining it for the rest of my life. I guess I wasn't really that serious about the supercharger, but thought I'd ask since I noticed the low compression on the motor. I guess the only question I have is why would there be a concern about a car with 50k miles if it is well documented and all major services have been performed recently? A 1988 car with this many miles would thus be averaging about 2,300 miles per year (or 43 miles per week) over its lifespan. Is that alot for a Ferrari? I will eventually get an F430 too - but with different expectations. As for ever having driven a V8 Ferarri - sadly no. I have not. I guess I just finally got the "bug."

P.S. My father is a master machinist with a full machine shop (he builds race engines for a living). A little of his passion has rubbed off on me (I have only worked on simple stuff though like sb/bb chevys, minor rebuilds on some bmw and mercedes motors, vws, etc.). Thinking a 328 would be a fun "next step" in my automobile amateur mechanics' journey.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
The problem is that a lot of Ferraris with 50k and thorough service history...is history of problems being chased and repaired after a break....they rarely indicate preventative maintenance and forward thinking.

The lack of servicing something before it's an issue is the greatest problem with an older car of any sort.

If you're experienced with driving cars with that wide of performance attributes I'm sure you'll find qualities in the 328 that you'll enjoy very much.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Owner
Elite Member

the other problem with a 50k+ car is resale. there won't be any.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #8 of 21 Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Also, let us know what area you live in? There are a lot of cars that we know the history on and may be able to recomend one to you. Also shops like Competizione in the Wash DC area sometimes have customers looking to sell and they will know a lot about the car. If you have a good shop like that in the area they may have a car for you?

I have an 88 328GTS and really enjoy the car. Not a great fit if you are over 6ft or broad shoulders. Seats are narrow so tell the wife she won't be able to ride with you if she doesn't get on the treadmill.

The wheels are convex on the cars with ABS and the ABS cars sell for more. Mk e has supercharged his 308 and can tell you more about that.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #9 of 21 Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

328 Reply

Thx again guys. I live in SF Bay Area. I am 6ft tall, 185-195 pounds (depending on how close it is to a major holiday like 4th of July or Thanksgiving!) with a formerly athletic build when I was in college many years ago. As for resale value - I am actually not that worried. I am not looking to ever sell the car. I am looking to own it until I pass it to my kids or move on to the next world. Just looking for a good car that I can enjoy on a regular basis. I don't want a lemon or a problem child... or a ca that has been abused... but I do not mind preventive maintenance. I WILL DRIVE it - regulalry (weekly)! Life is too short not to.... I figure that if I wanted art that served no other purpose than aesthetics - I would buy a Rembrandt. ;} I like the idea of "usable" art - ergo the Ferrari. Plus - I enjoy driving. I take care of all of my cars (preventive etc.), I have fully restored over 5 cars in my life - and have access to nearly any tools / equipment needed through my father's race + machine shop. As for my car search - just started looking on line. I found a few in Los Angeles area... none up here though.

Regards,
coffeeis4closers
post #10 of 21 Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
I'm also in SF, welcome.

You'll see these pop-up on Craigslist here and there, here is a '89 328:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1810923947.html

The nice thing about buying a CA car that has been here since day 1 is the weather is fairly good to cars here, no exposure to salt on the roads either.

Best of luck in your search, let us know what you come up with.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-01-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

328 GTS Reply

Thx for the lead Andrew. I will look into it. Does anyone have any input/thoughts on the handling/braking differences (improvements) of the 1989 with ABS vs. earlier 328s? Also - anyone in CA have problems passing emissions? Finally - how problematic is it to drive your
Ferrari in SF with the steep hills? (My driveway has abit of a slope here in the Lafayette hills - and I do go to SF on a regular basis). Do you bottom out or scrape on driveways?

thx,
coffeeis4closers
post #12 of 21 Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
I like the look of the wheels better on the non-ABS cars. A personal viewpoint. The ABS cars and some of the later non ABS cars also have one of those gas charged devices to hold the front hood up rather than the mechanical prop.

The mechanical prop works well but if you leave the hood up some helpful friend will attempt to close it for you by pushing down on the hood instead of dissengaging the hood prop and you will have a crease in the hood or a crack near the mount for the prop device.

If you buy a car with the mechanical prop I would dissable it so the hood does not stay up by itself or be very carefull and don't ever walk away from the car with the hood up or some helpful soul will damage your car. You will have a hard time finding one that has not been repaired where the prop meets the hood.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #13 of 21 Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member

"This car is as delivered in 1989! Only 52,000 miles." or not. 55k seems about 15k too high to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I'm also in SF, welcome.

You'll see these pop-up on Craigslist here and there, here is a '89 328:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1810923947.html

The nice thing about buying a CA car that has been here since day 1 is the weather is fairly good to cars here, no exposure to salt on the roads either.

Best of luck in your search, let us know what you come up with.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
"1. Any significant differences betwen the 85, 86, 87, 88, and 88.5 models? (I know the 88.5/89 models had ABS, but other than that???)"

Ignoring GTS/GTB there are 3 types of 328 - Non ABS, Non ABS 88.5 & ABS cars

The first & last are self explanatory. The Non ABS 88.5 in the middle has the suspension upgrade that went into the ABS cars, but no ABS & so it also has the earlier dished wheels. There arn't many of these around & they are quite sought after.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Have you read the buyers guide?
post #16 of 21 Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Just bought the buyers guide. A nice read... Was blurry eyed until 2am last night!
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know the difference between the European and US versions of the 328? I live in CA, so want to buy a car that won't have problems registering, smoking, and running on 91 octane gas.

Thx,
post #18 of 21 Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I meant smogging (not smoking)! Darned auto correct on my iPhone!
post #19 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeis4closers View Post

While I agree in principle that a fresh engine is best for a supercharger.....The engines are pretty built proof and a supercharger will make it a whole new driving experience, at least it did on my QV. A had a roots (about 360hp) than a screw type(about 550hp) blower and the low end torque was fantastic. Having had that I don't think a stock engined car would be on my list again.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
Ran my 89 for nearly 5 years and 17k miles. Low point was when my tech noticed damage to a cam cap during the valve clearance service. The total service came to £3,200 including the big 25,000 mile service/belt change. It could have been a lot worse-a new cylinder head was over £3k! Anyway other than that a s/s exhaust is well worth fitting, about £1k over here for a custom. I foubnd it quite a physical car to drive, but thats the point, you have to DRIVE them! A number of cars i looked at had corrosion under the seal around the drivers side. It is riveted on and the corrosion was around these point. The seal gets wet ...Worth checking. You may not get this issue in sunny california? Had a few electrical gremlins from the bosch relays, but not much else. I would have another so that is as good a recomendation as any. Run a 550m now and that does not get half the attention the 328 got!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode