black 308 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 9
black 308

Hey everyone, I just got my new ferrari a black 83 308 and I love it. I am however having a few problems and was wondering if anyone has any solutions?. first one is after the car is hot and you let it sit for awhile it take forever to start again sometime over 10min and the other is after driving for 20min the fuel pedal starts to get very stiff and sticky and very hard to push down. After the vehicle cools down overnight everything works fine again. If anyone knows any fixes can you let me know, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Welcome to Ferrari Life, Nolan and congrats on your new car, too!

Where do you live? There are Ferrari Life postings from all over the world and someone may know of one of the best mechanics in your area for more help.

As for your problem with hot starting, try depressing the accelerator halfway while starting the car. This is only a temporary fix.

Look at the Ricambi diagram below. Number 7 is the FUEL ACCUMULATOR which I believe needs to be replaced on your car. It is about $375.

With the engine cover open and facing the engine from the back of the car, go to the upper left side of the engine area. Look straight down. That's where the fuel accumulator is located.

I'm not sure why the pedal sticks.

Neon

DISCLAIMER: I am offering my non-expert advice. I suggest talking with a certified Ferrari mechanic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Neonzapper; 06-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

black 308

Thanks Neon, i've tried holding the throttle halfway and did not make any differance. I live in Edmonton Alberta, Canada and I don't know of any shops in the area, Calgary would be the closest place and it's 350km south. Again thanks for your advise and if you think of anything else please let me know.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Neon has a good suggestion with the accumulator; you could also have a fuel venting issue. The CIS injection can be finicky, if the fuel system isn't venting excess vapor/pressure correctly it'll effect the fuel metering and cause a few different issues. Between this and the sticky throttle it sounds as though the car needs to be gone over thouroughly to work out some "winter" bugs. Best of luck.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
black 308

I have a 82 308 gtsi in black and it does exactly the same!i find the plugs need a good clean after say 3000 miles and this seems to help,but if i go out /come back leave for lunch,go out again she won't start for love or money at all,wether you press this or that ,will start if pushed though?seems to overfuel on mine.i've just got used to it!woodyz
post #6 of 22 Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 AM
Owner

black 308

as for sticky throttle ,just spray drop of 3inone oil down cable on front bank and point spray at linkage under plenum chamber(either red or black 'cast metal box with 'ferrari cast on it')this should free ithe throttle up ,just a drop though don't use say wd40 etc as this is a penetrant and not a lubricant!normal household oil is fine!I find tyhis works a treat!have fun pal!
post #7 of 22 Old 06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
leaning too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
Neon has a good suggestion with the accumulator; you could also have a fuel venting issue. The CIS injection can be finicky, if the fuel system isn't venting excess vapor/pressure correctly it'll effect the fuel metering and cause a few different issues. Between this and the sticky throttle it sounds as though the car needs to be gone over thouroughly to work out some "winter" bugs. Best of luck.

Although, I haven't entirely solved my issue in the 456 [ http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...439#post120439 ] this canister seems to be a problem. The other day, I tried that cap approach when going a winery and took actually a couple times as the fumes in the tank pressured up again and again within < 1 min. in the hot sun.

Need to get it to Brian's shop, jerk that tank and probably canister[s?] and make it right. However, there may be other issues.

Actually thought of driving with the cap off or way loose or a hole in it, but that isn't a sound approach...thinking.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Owner

I must try the un-do cap approach,it seems to make perfect sense!because she only does it after stopping for a while and the beat time she starts is from cold,or when i stop for gas when the cap comes off anyhow! will try soon as!thanks!
post #9 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
Woody, have you ever perfomed fuel pressure tests or CO tests to confirm if the fuel system is simply out of adjustment? Something as simple as collapsing fuel return hoses can upset the fuel trim of the CIS system as well.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Hot restart problems are one of the most common CIS problems. It is classicly caused by either a bad non return valve on the fuel pump or bad, leaking injectors. Either will cause a loss of residual pressure and hard hot starting problems. It is an easy diagnosis with the correct equipment. At this point in their lives most CIS systems need quite a bit of attention to restore proper running and without some specific equipment and a good understanding of the system is is not really an DIY job.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyz View Post
I have a 82 308 gtsi in black and it does exactly the same!i find the plugs need a good clean after say 3000 miles and this seems to help,but if i go out /come back leave for lunch,go out again she won't start for love or money at all,wether you press this or that ,will start if pushed though?seems to overfuel on mine.i've just got used to it!woodyz

If you need to clean plugs every 3000 miles something is very wrong. Plugs in those motors should go at least 30000 miles without being touched.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 132
I live in Winnipeg, mine is an '82, Black 308GTBi and I don't even get inside, just put it in neutral, and touch the key, it fires up as good as my 2010 Audi, in 2 seconds, just lucky my I guess.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now it looks like i sprung a oil leak from my oil cooler, any one out there have one for sale lol. I called around and found a used one out of calif. for 250.00, so not much driving till i get that fixed.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino246gt View Post
I live in Winnipeg, mine is an '82, Black 308GTBi and I don't even get inside, just put it in neutral, and touch the key, it fires up as good as my 2010 Audi, in 2 seconds, just lucky my I guess.
Hey Dino246gt i live in Edmonton and i have a black 83 308, your lucky yours is working properly. Even if it takes awhile to start i still love this car. Where did you buy yours from and how long have you had it for?
post #15 of 22 Old 07-02-2010, 04:43 AM
Owner

Victor, got mine about 4 years ago in Phoenix, had it shipped to Winnipeg by TFX. Been lovin' it ever since! It was in fantastic condition, but I wanted it to be even better, so I had it stripped, painted and all new leather and carpets from GAHH installed. Mine is the lowly 2v which seems to get dissed on the Forum a lot, but I like it better than the carb cars, for me, it's easier to use. I had a Dino246GT and I certainly loved that beauty, had it 9 years, but had to tune those Webbers constantly. I searched for an injected, not red, GTB for a few years before I found this black one with fatcory 16s. Tell me a bit about yours?
Attached Images

post #16 of 22 Old 07-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Owner

Brian,the extensions on the plugs were breaking down leading to excessive wet horrible plugs,my mechanic said i could re-use but i got some new ones instead and 246dino I love the 308 just like mine although mine has a cream interior I'm loving the red interior though and injection is so smooth and pretty trouble free I love my 2 valve aswell!Its as fast as you need,reliable(apart from the fuel starvation as discussed Accumulator Is nearly a dead cert now eliminated everything else).cheers guys.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Owner

Just another picture I took today, cool angle! Ciao, Dino
Attached Images

post #18 of 22 Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Gorgeous looking and the weather right now is awesome for these cars. Your interior is spotless.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino246gt View Post
Just another picture I took today, cool angle! Ciao, Dino
+1. Looks great.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Lovely 308, looks great!

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode