What is the maximum tire height for a 308GTB - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
What is the maximum tire height for a 308GTB

Hello,

I have a 1985 308GTB QV. As with most 308's, I fiind that the stock tires do not fill the wheelwells properly and that the gap between the top of the tire and the wheelwell is the only thing that spoils the looks. On my car, there is a 6-7 cm gap between the top of the tire and the wheelwell on all four wheels.

One potential way to compensate is to play with the suspension, but I prefer to avoid that. Another way is to put higher and potentially wider tires on it. I know that we are "not supposed to do this", and I recognise the drawbacks of taking such an aproach. However, I have done it on other cars and it is a a feasible option as long as one remains subtle and doesn't do anything extreme. So, I would like to at least understand better this objective as it relates to a 308..

My current tires are Michelin 220 55 V390 (width = 227mm, height = 642 mm) all around.

I would appreciate all views, insights and experiences on this matter to let me know what is the highest and widest tire that I can reasonably put on the car without changing the original 308 rims or making any other major modifications.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I cant actually answer your question but I can add that while I understand what youre thinking Im pretty sure you would be very unhappy with the result of fitting taller tires. The first thing that youd most likely hate is your speedo reading way low..and youd probably first notice the day you were getting a speeding ticket because you were going much faster than you realized. Its not going to help the handling any either and will most likely make the car feel a bit mushy.

Changing the shocks and springs is really the best answer and will work wonders for the handling, it will feel like a whole new car. There are lots of options depending on your budget and what you want them to do.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Adjusting the suspension on a 308

Thank you for your response mk e, your views and experience are appreciated.

Are you able to give me an overview of the options for lowering the suspension - i.e. changing shocks and springs? Or perhaps there is a relevant web page that you can point me to?

Thanks again.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308GTB Rob View Post
Thank you for your response mk e, your views and experience are appreciated.

Are you able to give me an overview of the options for lowering the suspension - i.e. changing shocks and springs? Or perhaps there is a relevant web page that you can point me to?

Thanks again.
There are a bunch of options. The first thing you need to do is decide what you are planning to do with the car. Track? Autocross? go out to dinner every now and then? Basically the more aggressive and higher speed the stiffer the springs/shocks need to be to work right.

For springs, 200F/250R is a bit better than stock but very mild. 250/300 and 300/350 seem to be quite popular options on the QA1 shocks which asre about the cheapest option at about $150 each (there are a bunch of threads on the evil fchat).

I'm running 400/450 on ohlins shocks (about $500 each for the ones I have these days, top of the line is more like $2500 EACH)on the street with an occational autocross and I'm pretty happy altouth I might go up 25 in the front of down 25 in the rear...the balance seems a touch off....it might be the sway bars though, I'm going to mess with that first I think if I ever get my engine done and running.

The QA1 shocks need an extender in front or you need to trim the A-arm. Verell makes and sells then (called paper weights for liability reasons) along with all kinds of other 308 goodies.
http://www.unobtainiumsupply.com/

With shocks, like anything else, you get what you pay for. The QA1s are straight oil shocks, but they are adjustable and seem to work well for the guys that have them. When you go up to something like an Ohlins or penske they are gas over oil which makes the damping rate more stable with with/heat and very shock is custom built and valved and you get a dyno sheet with them so you know exactly what you have. What you need depends on your application.

Hope this helps

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode