wonderful 308's! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
wonderful 308's!

Guys I'm driving with my daughter down a lovely twisty road and the 308 starts missing! runing rough then at 3500rpm cackles and stalls and smooths out again but very slightly losing power (like a cylinder down)up to 6500rpm the car is a gtsi 1982.I've whipped two plugs out and cleaned them because one ht lead was waggling in the tube as the rubber sealing bulb had perished so is now replaced and seems better but pops when throttling off and produces black smoke occasionaly! plugs have 3000miles on them.i'm thinking metering head?crank sensor ?help? oil pressure good and temp fine.coolant good and temp fine.starts well and runs ok apart from this.also I,m currently using 5w40 shell helix ultra fully synthetic its had it from new but is this viscosity good for car or should i use a semi-synthetic (I'm in england not lovely warm sunny ca!).thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Do NOT use oil this thin in these old engines. Their machined tolerances are much wider than modern engines. When I had to use 15W40 in my GTC (normally 20W60) she started smoking a bit too.

I think for the 308 you should use semi-synthetic 15W40, anyone want to comment?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Do NOT use oil this thin in these old engines. Their machined tolerances are much wider than modern engines. When I had to use 15W40 in my GTC (normally 20W60) she started smoking a bit too.

I think for the 308 you should use semi-synthetic 15W40, anyone want to comment?

Onno
+1, the older engines are not built to run with the modern synthetic oils.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
could definitely be a crank sensor. I'd also pull the distributor caps then clean and check the seals for leaking oil. Both of these problems have contributed to similar conditions in my 85 QV.

+2 on the choice of oils

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

Last edited by barcheta; 04-26-2010 at 05:08 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
wonderful 308s

Thanks guys for your helpfull advice,The misfire is actually a blowing front exhaust manifold don't know where yet until the ramp on wednesday! I'm going to change the oil to 10w or15w semi-synthetic also and do the cv joint boot also!It also helped pulling the leads as front dizzy side was sparking badly because of the extender on the lead!so ordering one of those to hopefully manifold won't b e past it,though if it is a nice stainless full system will be nice!(tough i'll have to sell my little classic speedboat to fund my ferrari-itus!) Top -tip aswell ,When your two year olds hosing car off after washing eck down your plug tubes as mine filled with water and it took ages to see why it wouldn't start! quick blow out and new rubber bulbs on ht leads and problem no more!Thanks again woodyz!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 1
post #7 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyvibo View Post
Welcome to FLife. Are you an owner?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page