348 Seatbelts Help? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
348 Seatbelts Help?

Hello all-
My mad mouse must be sick. Drivers side seatbelt mechanism stops at a few inches of travel from door open position (forward, near pedals). When I close the door the mouse moves only a few inches stopping at the bottom forward corner of the track remaining in that position until the door reopens. I place the belt in the alternate (seat) anchor when driving. The red warning lights remain on when driving.

How do I fix?

Thanks,
Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
TYPICALLY, the track is getting bound

Did you adjust or unscrew your door jam cover recently?

I've known that when I were cleaning or had taken off the leather covered panel that goes over the mice track that it can be tricky to put it back on without binding the mouse's tracking mechanism: Try this, unscrew the cover, take completely off and see how the mouse travels then.

That strip can get shifted, too, when entering or leaving the seat, your foot [or as I need to use the sill, to lift myself in/out of car---not anymore thought ] bumps the sill covering.

Sometimes, not often the grease can get old and bind. If you are in love with that piece of [[email protected]$$$] then replace it for only one grand or such. That overpriced, almost worthless mechanism is nothing more than cheap track with a sort of 'antenna-like' electrical motor. You know the king that an any car will eventual go south.

Ferrari put that mouse system in starting with the 1990 models onward as a stopgap for the US laws regarding automatic seatbelts. The first year Mondial T, 1989 did not have that and has an entirely different interior regarding seats, and belting. 348's IIRC all had them.

Whatever the case, I'd take the cover off first and see what may be happening.

My cover, Mondial T not too different, takes about 15-20 min. to take off, but it's one of those Oriental puzzle box deals...first take off the back, then a side piece move seat about, then lastly runner over sill, BUT and here is the difficult part: putting that sill back on in the right degree, as the screw holes are juist not well aligned.

PS: I recommend to NOT use it, and just use the hard anchor on the side. Keep the mechanism intact for concours events, and/or if you must really want it, expect it to go out time and again. I've had about 2-3 of those...can take a pic later as I have an old one sitting in the garage....as every Ferrari owner has parts in boxes, in a garage somewhere...difficult to throw away...makes for nice wall hangings.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 04-26-2010 at 09:44 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode